Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
the_swede
the_swede began at the beginning.

Device: none
Device for reading textbooks?

Hi! Im looking for a device to mainly read physic textbooks in pdf format.

I've been looking in older threads concerning the same question and consensus seems to be that e-ink readers are to small for reading large-scale pdfs. The thing is I cannot read these pdfs for a very long on my laptop before getting sore eyes. Thats why I don’t want an Ipad or similar and hence is looking for a good e-ink reader.

Does anyone have any good suggestions what to buy for this purpose? Would it be possible to read the textbooks on for example kindle PW without getting to annoyed of the small screen, anyone with experience of this? Are bigger tablets like kindle fire or DX as easy to read from as an e-ink reader, if not are they a lot better than an Ipad? Personally I would satisfy with a kindle PW if it where big enough for the purpose.

Lots of questions, perhaps I can get some answers anyway.

many thanks,

Oskar
the_swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, the screen on a PW is too small to easily read PDF files. The Kindle Fire is a tablet, like an iPad, so it won't help with your problem with tired eyes.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
The Onyx M92 / Icarus Excel is a large eReader, as is the Kindle DX that Amazon just re-released. They are more expensive than a typical ereader, about $300.

I know that Sony and B&N readers have some support for PDF files on the small screens, but from what I hear it's still basically annoying.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_swede View Post

Does anyone have any good suggestions what to buy for this purpose? Would it be possible to read the textbooks on for example kindle PW without getting to annoyed of the small screen, anyone with experience of this? Are bigger tablets like kindle fire or DX as easy to read from as an e-ink reader, if not are they a lot better than an Ipad? Personally I would satisfy with a kindle PW if it where big enough for the purpose.

Lots of questions, perhaps I can get some answers anyway.

many thanks,

Oskar
DX is an e-ink reader.

My suggestion is to buy used Kindle DX and install Kindlepdfviewer thereon.

Installing it takes just a few minutes and it is much better PDF reader than the native one.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2466450

You can also buy M92(Icarus Excel) if handwritten annotating is important to you or simply use some tablet/e-ink simultaneously with Kindle DX.

I don't get sore eyes after reading on LCD's for hours because I use good anti-glare protection and always reduce brightness and contrast as much as possible.

Last edited by markom; 06-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I typically recommend the Kindle DX for this sort of task.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I have an M92 mainly for the textbooks. It's a pleasure with the 9.7" screen and the crop and zoom functions. You can define the margins for odd and even pages. You can read in portrait or landscape mode.
There is a mode to read the multicolum documents.
You can scribble on the PDF or annotate it.

Last edited by Randy11; 06-19-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
This a picture of my M92 with a page from a textbook and a ruler. It's a full page view in portrait mode. There is many zoom option and the landscape mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M92_Page_Textbook.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	107230  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf debian-handbook_28.pdf (99.8 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Randy11; 06-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I'm struggling with the same problem (though it's not physics ^^).

Size is one thing. If that's your only concern, then any reader with a 9" screen should do the trick. The Kindle's support of pdf used to be dreadful. I'm sure it's better now, but having to install a new app for something that should be a basic functionality...

If you want to annotate your pdfs then the M92 seems better (though no OCR...). I might be biased on this one though because I don't like Amazon's e-book format policy. Still, having a wacom stylus should beat a capacitative screen for note taking.

What really makes me hesitate is the following:
  • color: my textbooks have lots of colored graphs which would be terrible on b&w e-ink screen
  • multiple files opened at once (the M92's new firmware seems to allow this)
  • jumping between pages (but it's the same on a computer)
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
What really makes me hesitate is the following:
  • color: my textbooks have lots of colored graphs which would be terrible on b&w e-ink screen
  • multiple files opened at once (the M92's new firmware seems to allow this)
  • jumping between pages (but it's the same on a computer)
These are all the reasons that a tablet is so much better as a PDF reader. I too read a lot of PDFs, and (having tried many alternatives) I stand by my view that an iPad with the "GoodReader" app is the best combination for PDF reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But an iPad (or any other tablet) is backlit... So it is just as tiring to the eye as a computer screen. Most tablets only have a capacitative screen (except for the Galaxy Note) so you can't really handwrite on them. Of course, you can also turn your tablet into a GBA or a graphic calculator... ^^

As I already own a tablet (and a reader) I guess I'm just looking for the perfect (fictional) device...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
But an iPad (or any other tablet) is backlit... So it is just as tiring to the eye as a computer screen.
The normal reason for finding a screen tiring is having the brightness turned up too high. Set it to the minimum brightness that allows you to clearly read it. I work on an LCD laptop all day, every day, and don't find it tiring in the least. Nor do I find my iPad tiring. I appreciate, though, that we're all different in this regard. Do you fid using a laptop tiring on your eyes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
I just purchased the Nook HD+, I only wanted it to use occasionally for pdfs and cookbooks, but not daily reading as my eyes also get tired from the color screens. I normally use an HP touchpad. However, surprisingly I've been able to easily read without strain, even very small text. Also, check out gaming glasses such as http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gaming-E.../dp/B009OZYIA0 Just search amazon for "gaming glasses" There are several brands, you can often get them for about 20 bucks, they have good reviews for reducing eyestrain.
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Ansileran
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The normal reason for finding a screen tiring is having the brightness turned up too high. Set it to the minimum brightness that allows you to clearly read it. I work on an LCD laptop all day, every day, and don't find it tiring in the least. Nor do I find my iPad tiring. I appreciate, though, that we're all different in this regard. Do you fid using a laptop tiring on your eyes?
Yes, even setting the brightness to a minimum I usually get tired at the end of the day (I also spend all day working on a computer). If I need to read on a computer on evenings, I usually try setting my reader to grey/green on black if I can. Of course, the main problem isn't the occasional textbook / dictionary I open on evenings but the time I spend on a computer at work in poor lighting conditions...

Still, on a sunny day, I'd rather be able to go and sit outside in a park, not worrying over battery life (tablets and external batteries solved this) and reflective glare...

An up-to-date version of Entourage's Edge could a great solution...