Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #196
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by felonwan View Post
I put a Chinese edition in the wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk/zh-cn, but I don't know how to link it there: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk. Can anybody help?
In this Chinese edition, I separated the preparation part (downloading the images and installing the softwares) and the part using ATK to program the flash. I also add the method of checking battery using a LED and a resistor in the last part.
Thanks! You're amazing!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #197
uriziel01
uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.uriziel01 is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle3
Successfully unbricked K3 with this method, THANK YOU

1)My Image also had a CRC error every time I downloaded it but after flashing the Kindle using it, everything went just fine, no single problem.

2)If you a re running Win32 and still get the USB error in ATK, just restart your system, it helped for me.
uriziel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #198
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting....... Seems like almost all compressed kindle images get a CRC error..... I wonder why...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #199
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
because either they are all compressed badly, or they are all downloading the same broken image...

That info would be handy to know.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #200
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I guess a slightly incomplete image (i.e. some bits at the end are missing) would at maximum hurt one file, maybe even nothing at all, in the filesystem within. The decompressing program just needs to be tough enough to leave the "broken" file for the user and not delete it after determining the broken CRC.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #201
qlob
Official Lurker

maybe the original 3.3 image still works then... i have it targz ed and whenever i untargz it i get CRC error...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #202
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Interesting....... Seems like almost all compressed kindle images get a CRC error..... I wonder why...
That can be a browser problem, or a problem with a download accelerator. I have downloaded and tested the images in the simple debricking pastebin, and they do not have CRC errors when I test them.

Please try downloading them using different software, and try again. And PM me a link for ones that fail for you so I can retest them. Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #203
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
maybe the original 3.3 image still works then... i have it targz ed and whenever i untargz it i get CRC error...
Please PM me a link to the bad image you downloaded. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #204
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Please PM me a link to the bad image you downloaded. Thanks.
I'm talking about Dasmoover's original 3.3 image, that I rescued from a wiped harddrive. (The one I could never get to upload successfully.)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #205
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
well. in terms of provenance, I would list that under "Sketchy at best".

Lesson learned.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #206
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I'm talking about Dasmoover's original 3.3 image, that I rescued from a wiped harddrive. (The one I could never get to upload successfully.)
Is this the same machine with which you had so much trouble?

I think it is probably time for you to run memtest86 on it:
http://www.memtest.org/

Memory errors would go a long way to explaining all the troubles you have had, if they all involve a single machine.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #207
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is this the same machine with which you had so much trouble?
I think it is probably time for you to run memtest86 on it:
http://www.memtest.org/
Memory errors would go a long way to explaining all the troubles you have had, if they all involve a single machine.
Later as it turns out, I did have hardware problems.. that computer is another project i need to get round to it.... someday...... Now im using a horrible "corporate" workstation with 768MB of RAM, until i fix the nicer machine's BIOS

These gremlins really hate me....
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #208
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
In the case of a file compressed by gzip - trust the crc error message to mean the file is bad.

For gzip / gunzip, if the file is too short, its message states that the file ended too soon not that it has a crc error.

For a tar (Tape ARchive) format file, the last block is supposed to be a single empty header followed by a single empty data block.
GNU tar will warn you if that is missing, some other implementations of tar will not.

That format was intended so that you could back-space the tape drive over the last two blocks and continue recording an extension to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #209
qlob
Official Lurker

Okay. Wont use it then.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #210
geekmaster

Quote:
Recovering a file from a wiped HDD (i.e. undeleting) usually fails if the file was fragmented. Windows does not defrag chunks larger than 64MB as I recall, so the image was likely fragmented and therefore did not recover correctly. And even if it did, recovered files are often extended to fill the last 4KB file allocation block. So good or bad, it would probably still have a bad CRC.

File carving utilities are usually more successful when recovering media files with known file signatures and layouts, but even then fail to recover correctly plenty often. I have done a huge amount of data recovery for myself and others. I even own the rather expensive hard drive platter swapping tools. So I believe that I know what I am talking about in this post...

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3