Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Jerome, Jerome K.: Tommy and Co. (Illustrated). v1. 25 June 2012

By the author of “Three Men in a Boat,” “Three Men on the Bummel,” “Diary of a Pilgrimage,” “Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow,” “Stage-Land,” “Paul Kelver,” etc. First published 1904.

Middle-aged journalist Peter Hope, who lost his wife and infant son to illness many years ago, finds himself unexpectedly taking on Tommy, a twelve-year-old orphan, as “house-keeper and cook.” Peter’s old dream of founding a newspaper to pass on to a son is re-awakened. That Tommy turns out to be a girl is a mere quibble. Thus, the newspaper “Good Humour” is born.

~~~ Jerome's witty tale relates the highly unceremonious way in which the paper's various staff members drifted into the employment of Mr. Peter Hope, its editor-in-chief, and what they did or didn't do to render their services invaluable. [from Barnes & Noble overview]

------
An excerpt:

Quote:
The stranger called early the next day, pocketed his half-crown, and left another manuscript — an essay. Also he left behind him his gold-handled umbrella, taking away with him instead an old alpaca thing Clodd kept in reserve for exceptionally dirty weather. Peter pronounced the essay usable.

“He has a style,” said Peter; “he writes with distinction. Make an appointment for me with him.”

Clodd, on missing his umbrella, was indignant. “What’s the good of this thing to me?” commented Clodd. “Sort of thing for a dude in a pantomime! The fellow must be a blithering ass!”

Tommy gave to the stranger messages from both when next he called. He appeared more grieved than surprised concerning the umbrellas.

“You don’t think Mr. Clodd would like to keep this umbrella in exchange for his own?” he suggested.

“Hardly his style,” explained Tommy.

“It’s very peculiar,” said the stranger, with a smile. “I have been trying to get rid of this umbrella for the last three weeks. Once upon a time, when I preferred to keep my own umbrella, people used to take it by mistake, leaving all kinds of shabby things behind them in exchange. Now, when I’d really like to get quit of it, nobody will have it.”

“Why do you want to get rid of it?” asked Tommy. “It looks a very good umbrella.”

“You don’t know how it hampers me,” said the stranger. “I have to live up to it. It requires a certain amount of resolution to enter a cheap restaurant accompanied by that umbrella. When I do, the waiters draw my attention to the most expensive dishes and recommend me special brands of their so-called champagne. They seem quite surprised if I only want a chop and a glass of beer. I haven’t always got the courage to disappoint them. It is really becoming quite a curse to me. If I use it to stop a ’bus, three or four hansoms dash up and quarrel over me. I can’t do anything I want to do. I want to live simply and inexpensively: it will not let me.”

Tommy laughed. “Can’t you lose it?”

The stranger laughed also. “Lose it! You have no idea how honest people are. I hadn’t myself. The whole world has gone up in my estimation within the last few weeks. People run after me for quite long distances and force it into my hand — people on rainy days who haven’t got umbrellas of their own. It is the same with this hat.” The stranger sighed as he took it up. “I am always trying to get off with something reasonably shabby in exchange for it. I am always found out and stopped.”
------
A fovorite short quote:

Quote:
“What I don’t want to do,” explained Peter, “is to make a fool of myself.”
“That’s always a good rule,” agreed Mrs. Postwhistle, “for those to whom it’s possible.”
------
Eight full-page illustrations. Again, two versions, drop-caps and large-caps.
Enjoy the read!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jerome-TommyAndCo-Illus-DropCap.epub (1.29 MB, 417 views)
File Type: epub Jerome-TommyAndCo-illus-PlainCap.epub (1.23 MB, 369 views)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiction, humor, journalism, orphans