Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #136
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
What people really want is to see no ads at all. But they're not willing to pay for the services that are currently free becaus they're ad supported.
Wait... What? If the services are free, the services are free. If the owner thinks the service is *worth* something he can charge a fee. I pay for *a lot* of online services when there is value to me.

In the meantime, I'll skip the commercials, I'll block the tracking bugs and I'll make the decisions on who gets information from and about me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #137
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
What people really want is to see no ads at all. But they're not willing to pay for the services that are currently free becaus they're ad supported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Wait... What? If the services are free, the services are free. If the owner thinks the service is *worth* something he can charge a fee.
As is often the case, in actuality the service is likely to be "free to the end user, but paid for by others. This is the formula used by the Amazon Affiliate system, and many (or most) of the "free" services and information sites around the web. In this instance, the owner does "charge a fee", you just don't see it or pay it directly-- you pay it indirectly (or the ultimately financially-benefiting site pays it).
To get this off the Amazon/affiliate "hot button" for a moment, look at Google's search engine. It's free to the user, but indirectly paid for through the user's action, and others' profits. You certainly have the right to block and/or ignore every ad (and income producing) link in Google, and personally use the service for free. I can assure you that if everyone exercised that right completely and effectively, we would all be living without Google Search.
Back on topic, the "owner" does think the service is worth something, (and so does Amazon, the true "buyer" of the service). What it's worth is based on a formula offered by Amazon, and either accepted or rejected as acceptable compensation by the owner of the site.
Amazon has unilaterally changed the terms (which they are allowed to do). It seems likely that it may damage the site owner's capability of figuring out a working "paid for by others" model. There's no doubt that Amazon intends to damage the "bad affiliates", but it's questionable whether they've figured out how to maintain the "good affiliates".
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #138
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
To me, and in this context that is all I really care about, the whole point of contention with me is the 24-hour time limit of the cookie. That is entirely too long in my opinion, and is a major reason that users are looking at to block them entirely. I am a big fan of sites that Karen runs (I was getting the newsletter for all of them and also ereaderiq). They were providing a great service, to me, of providing me with access to books that I probably would not have had access. But, even I balk at having a cookie on my computer for a 24 hour period if I decide to click on a link and purchase a free or bargain book (or even just decide to look at it).

This whole fiasco, in my opinion, was created by Aamazon's own doing. They want a robust affiliate network and some figured out how to abuse the system and now it seems that they are punishing everyone to try to eliminate some bad ones.

I promised myself that I would bypass this thread and so now I am going back in my shell.

Carry on!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #139
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I think we all know that cookies are heavily used but it's still very interesting to watch a single web site try to dump 10 cookies onto your machine before you've interacted with it.
Ghostery exaggerates, though. They tell you about links on the site/page, not just cookies being dropped. Not that most sites don't drop a few, since Adsense and others are often used (and Google Analytics, etc). Even if not being used to monetize the site, most people want the warm fuzzies from knowing that they do have visitors/readers, so there are often a few drops for that.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #140
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Ghostery exaggerates, though. They tell you about links on the site/page, not just cookies being dropped. Not that most sites don't drop a few, since Adsense and others are often used (and Google Analytics, etc). Even if not being used to monetize the site, most people want the warm fuzzies from knowing that they do have visitors/readers, so there are often a few drops for that.
I have wondered a bit about what exactly Ghostery is blocking other than cookies; "tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons" is a bit vague.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #141
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Wait... What? If the services are free, the services are free. If the owner thinks the service is *worth* something he can charge a fee. I pay for *a lot* of online services when there is value to me.
It's not free, it just doesn't cost the end user any money. You pay instead by being the product. (And if there's no value, why are you using it at all?)

Quote:
In the meantime, I'll skip the commercials, I'll block the tracking bugs and I'll make the decisions on who gets information from and about me.
If enough people do that, the free service will disappear. A lot of people will whine about that, too.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #142
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I have wondered a bit about what exactly Ghostery is blocking other than cookies; "tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons" is a bit vague.
From within Ghostery, you can drill down and turn on or off any types or sites.
The top level categories and counts are:
Advertising 665 trackers
Analytics 252 trackers
Beacons 282 trackers
Privacy 18 trackers
Widgets 150 trackers
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #143
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I used to use EreaderIQ, checking it most days. It was invaluable for me because it allowed me to specify the number of reviews, number of stars, and specific categories of free books in which I was interested. It saved me a ton of time and I'm very annoyed that the service is no longer available. I never minded if the owners of the site received an occasional small percent of my purchases. They were saving me a lot of time.

I'm very frustrated with Amazon. It doesn't seem fair to target ebook freebies like they are. I think I will stop making paid purchases from Amazon for a while. I like to protest with my pocketbook.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote