Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
ericastillwell
ericastillwell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle owners -- Is Kindle less fragile than Sony Reader?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but I'm curious if the Kindle is sturdier than the Reader. I'm a bit of a clutz and have broken a Reader screen twice (thank goodness I got the accidental damage handling on my second one!), so now I'm looking at the Kindle which LOOKS a lot sturdier. Plus, Amazon has such good customer service that they may be much nicer about screen issues...

-Erica
ericastillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd say the kindle is more fragile because it is easier to break off on of the buttons that wrap the edge.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
did you watch the 30" drop video on Amazon's Kindle page? I am kinda sold it's tough...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All eInks screen have a thin glass substrate beneath the plastic screen, and do need to be treated with a moderate amount of care. A simple drop generally does no harm - what will break the screen is applying severe pressure to a single point on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #5
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
It feels less sturdy than the Sony Reader, but only long term use will tell.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
did you watch the 30" drop video on Amazon's Kindle page? I am kinda sold it's tough...
I've dropped my PRS500, twice, from about 4 feet onto tile floors, it's still ticking. There's an account in the forum of someone losing his off the top of his car at 25 mph, and it surviving with mostly cosmetic damage. It depends a lot on how they hit. I suspect that there are ways to drop a Kindle, or any of these devices for that matter, from as little as 12 inches and totally disable them, but they're probably very specific ways.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
ericastillwell
ericastillwell began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It depends a lot on how they hit. I suspect that there are ways to drop a Kindle, or any of these devices for that matter, from as little as 12 inches and totally disable them, but they're probably very specific ways.
I guess I managed those specific ways... Actually, I'm very annoyed about the first one that broke--I had it in my backpack while traveling and judging by the way the cracks radiate out, the stupid star-shaped thing holding the cover on to the reader got pressed in and broke the screen. The second time, it looks like I dropped it right on a corner (the screen is only not working in that corner).

Anyone hear anything about Amazon's kindle screen policy? I went ahead and ordered mine yesterday--the wireless downloads and subscriptions are the clincher for me.

-Erica
ericastillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I would classify both my Sony 500 and Kindle in the same category of "fragile electronic device" and wouldn't want to drop or whack either one against something hard or pointy. I don't really feel a need to be more gentile with the Kindle, but then I tend to take very good care of things to begin with.

I don't think the Kindle is any more strudy than the Sony though. It's probably identical with respect to the screen, and may have potential issues with the buttons breaking off in the case of trauma to the unit (nobody has reported any such problem yet that I've seen).

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Is Kindle less fragile than Sony Reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericastillwell View Post
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but I'm curious if the Kindle is sturdier than the Reader. I'm a bit of a clutz and have broken a Reader screen twice (thank goodness I got the accidental damage handling on my second one!), so now I'm looking at the Kindle which LOOKS a lot sturdier. Plus, Amazon has such good customer service that they may be much nicer about screen issues...

-Erica
I accidentally dropped my Kindle on a natural stone floor and it still works, and has no discernible damage. It didn't land on the screen--I think it landed on one of the corners--it wasn't in the cover at the time I dropped it.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't think any of us really have enough experience with both to judge and I've never seen a head-to-head testing of durability. It would be an expensive test. There are people on the board that own both but I think they try to be cautious with them. I'm with Harry on this one. The screen is the same on both of them and it's the weak spot. The Kindle case may offer superior protection from some injuries, the Sony, Cybook, etc. cases from others. In general their aren't many gadgets out there of any ilk that can take real abuse.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

It's a fragile device and needs to be handled with care. It should be treated as a thin piece of glass. IMO
It will probably survive a drop, but don't put it in any situation where the screen might possibly have pressure applied to it. I've already broken the screen on my kindle, and I have been EXTRA careful with the replacement.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima_dat View Post
I've already broken the screen on my kindle, and I have been EXTRA careful with the replacement.
Did Amazon replace it free of charge? Note that iRex typically charges to replace a broken iLiad screen, I don't know what Sony's policy is.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima_dat View Post
It's a fragile device and needs to be handled with care. It should be treated as a thin piece of glass.
Excellent advice! You guys have got to stop flinging your Kindles all over the place.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Did Amazon replace it free of charge? Note that iRex typically charges to replace a broken iLiad screen, I don't know what Sony's policy is.
Yes, Amazon replaced it for the price of... on da house.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
My Sony reader has now taken a substantial amount of abuse!

Its been dropped several time, been covered in orange juice which made some of the buttons a bit sticky and my 2 year old son has stood on the screen.

Not sure if I am just lucky but I'm getting to the point where I just treat it as an every day object and not something fragile and delicate.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote