Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #46
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could get a copy of The Others?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could get a copy of The Others?

If that's a typo and you mean "The Other," then Amazon has a copy for your personal reading pleasure, located here and priced at $8.97:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Reviews-...r+thomas+tryon

Remember, calibre is your friend.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #48
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If that's a typo and you mean "The Other," then Amazon has a copy for your personal reading pleasure, located here and priced at $8.97:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Reviews-...r+thomas+tryon

Remember, calibre is your friend.

Don
Yup that's what I meant. I thought it might be wrong but I couldn't be bothered going back to check.

Thanks for the link.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Anyone who loves horror but hasn't read anything by Richard Laymon should check him out. There's an amazing variety of horror among his works. One that sticks particularly in mind is SAVAGE, which follows Jack the Ripper to the American West. Although an American writer, his books were always more popular in the UK than here.

Also, check out anything by Nancy A. Collins.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #50
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Agree on Richard Laymon. Good trashy horror. I have most of his work in PB.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #51
mahler9
mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm more interested in the Lovecraft type of horror, rather than vampires, zombies or serial killers.
I've read Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Algernon Blackwood (The Wendigo, wow!) and others, all good.

Anyone else have any recommendations?
mahler9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
I'm more interested in the Lovecraft type of horror, rather than vampires, zombies or serial killers.
I've read Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Algernon Blackwood (The Wendigo, wow!) and others, all good.

You might wish to check our Library.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #53
mahler9
mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.mahler9 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

You might wish to check our Library.

Don
(Moderator)
'
Thanks I have looked at it. There are a few things there, 4 by Blackwood I don't remember reading
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #54
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
For Lovecraftian-type horror, try Brian Lumley. Also, Nightshade Books has published two Cthulhu Mythos anthologies in the past year, which are available as ebooks on the Baen website (and probably Amazon, too).
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #55
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post

That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. I thought so highly of the book that I own all 3 editions of it. If you like Lovecraftian horror, it's a must read (in my humble opinion). The atmosphere is awesome and the book genuinely scared me.

http://www.amazon.com/That-Which-Sho...+should+not+be

His second novel, The Void, is semi-Lovecraftian science fiction. It's not as good but there are some pretty creepy ideas in it.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-17-2012 at 01:28 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #56
mahler9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. I thought so highly of the book that I own all 3 editions of it. If you like Lovecraftian horror, it's a must read (in my humble opinion). The atmosphere is awesome and the book genuinely scared me.

His second novel, The Void, is semi-Lovecraftian science fiction. It's not as good but there are some pretty creepy ideas in it.
Thanks, I have been hearing about the Talley novel. I'll look into it.

I have read some of Lumley in the past, liked them ok. The Cthulhu anthologies have been pretty spotty, but there are gems to be found.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #57
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I have a valuable First Edition collection of Lumley in hardback and almost all his ebooks, as well.

I've been a fan of his since about 1972.

I highly recommend his Necroscope books.

Don
Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I wish they would release Michael McDowell's Blackwater sextet in ebook form. It kind of a southern gothic/horror story.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #59
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

Oh man, I really loved That Which Should Not Be - a great, fun read for the Lovecraft fans out there.

If Lovecraft is your thing, I also recommend Black Wings, an anthology of short fiction inspired by Lovecraft and edited by S. T. Joshi.

I also highly recommend Thomas Ligotti's works - Grimscribe, Noctuary and Teattro Grotesco are available in ebook format. I wish someone would publish an ebook of his first collection, Songs of a Dead Dreamer, or better yet, The Nightmare Factory, an omnibus collection of most of his short stories.

I am also really enjoying Jeff and Anne Vandermeer's massive collection, The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories.

Finally, Wayne Barlowe's God's Demon is a strangely beautiful and terrifying story of Hell and redemption - it maybe more properly classified as fantasy, but it has plenty of horrifying details.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #60
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've started The Ward by S.L.Grey and it's coming across as a sinister read so far.

I've also bought The Mall by the same author(s) and both have some good reviews and both books are hailed as creepy.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote