Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
kmj1
kmj1 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook & Sony PRS-300
Exclamation Should I go ahead and cancel my nook order and get a...

...Kindle 2? My nook won't be here until mid Jan and considering all the problems Im not so sure all the bugs will be gone by then. I basically just want a device that works. I don't need the frustration. I guess Ive been spoiled by Apple. What would you do and why? Thanks.
kmj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj1 View Post
...Kindle 2? My nook won't be here until mid Jan and considering all the problems Im not so sure all the bugs will be gone by then. I basically just want a device that works. I don't need the frustration. I guess Ive been spoiled by Apple. What would you do and why? Thanks.
The Kindle does "just work" right out of the box. The nook is going thru some pains right now but in a few months it could be a very different story (on the positive side).

If you don't want to wait get the Kindle. If you're willing to wait, see what happens with the nook software fixes then make your decision. Or wait until after CES next month when many more choices will be introduced.

Good luck with your decision.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the Sony PRS-900 is a good choice. I know its not available right now, but it is available for pre-order now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
kmj1, there are many good devices on the market. Here is our wiki page on them all.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

I love my kindle, and sony owners love their devices, and so on. A lot depends on where you live, of course.

Good luck with your choice.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
kmj1, there are many good devices on the market. Here is our wiki page on them all.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

I love my kindle, and sony owners love their devices, and so on. A lot depends on where you live, of course.

Good luck with your choice.
That's what you get for quoting my post before I finished editing it. I know it was wrong to say it the way I said it. So I edited it ASAP to remove it. But you got it before it was removed.

But I do think B&N is muddying up the waters by adding yet another DRM to ePub and I don't like any company having exclusive rights to eBooks unless it's the publisher of course.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what you get for quoting my post before I finished editing it. I know it was wrong to say it the way I said it. So I edited it ASAP to remove it.

As did I.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
But I do think B&N is muddying up the waters by adding yet another DRM to ePub and I don't like any company having exclusive rights to eBooks unless it's the publisher of course.
I'd be pretty angry at B&N myself except for one big thing: Within the coming months, the ADE SDK will include a method of DRM that doesn't require servers to remain functional to authorize new devices. Short-term pain for long-term gain as someone said in another thread.

If it was between the nook and the Kindle? I'd vote for the nook, personally. Reason for me is that I don't see Amazon suddenly adopting ePub or anything more open anytime soon. I'd take the nook over that any day. If that isn't a concern, the Kindle is probably in a better position right now because it is already established.

Outside of Amazon's devices, I'd agree with others that Sony has probably the most polished readers on the market right now. They could be better ergonomically, but they aren't ergonomically bad either.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Kindle has this absolutely horrendous fugly physical keyboard which makes no sense on a reader. The prev/next button placement is better on nook and it works over wifi and you can download your subscribed periodicals for free when you're travelling.

Despite all the negativity in the press, many people on this forum never had a problem with their nook -- I for example am quite happy with the speed, touch-screen and everything else. And then, it's Android and it's already been hacked.

So if you want an aesthetically and technically dated device, get the Kindle. If you want device with the present and future -- get the nook.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Kindle has this absolutely horrendous fugly physical keyboard which makes no sense on a reader. The prev/next button placement is better on nook and it works over wifi and you can download your subscribed periodicals for free when you're travelling.

Despite all the negativity in the press, many people on this forum never had a problem with their nook -- I for example am quite happy with the speed, touch-screen and everything else. And then, it's Android and it's already been hacked.

So if you want an aesthetically and technically dated device, get the Kindle. If you want device with the present and future -- get the nook.
I like the keyboard on my KDX. I don't like virtual keyboards like the one on the nook because there is no physical feedback. Seeing the pictures of the eink screen above the lcd screen is a real turn off to me. But as we say in the back packing community, "hike your own hike".
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
kmj1
kmj1 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook & Sony PRS-300
Exclamation Moderator should move this topic to the "which one should I buy" board.

Thanks everyone. (remember I am not trolling here. Just wanting informed answers and help on making the best decision for me.)

Anyone know if the Sony daily edition PRS-900 will have the same screen as the PRS-600. I do not care for the blurriness of that screen. The PRS-300 is quite good though in this regard.

I tried a Nook out at a local B&N and it crashed on me each time. I actually forced an update on it the last time because the employees didn't know about the updates and hadn't installed them. I learned how on a thread here I believe. The update did speed up the device but it still had some problems. The interface seemed overly cumbersome but then again I haven't ever touched a kindle to compare. the aesthetics of the nook are very impressive but I do not want to be left with a device that I have to work around its bugs. It should serve me not the other way around. I am willing to wait until the end of January if they can eliminate most of the bugs by then, but who knows if that will happen!?! The keyboard and joystick on the kindle do not bother me. In fact I prefer this method of input over a touch screen even though I use a touch screen daily (iPhone). The DRM thing doesn't really bother me on either one. the reason I purchased the nook to begin with is I thought it would be epub compatible with other reader and future proof. From what I've read, its DRM scheme is as unique as Amazon. I do know how to remove the azx/prc scheme but not the nook epub yet. So I can dedrm the Amazon. Anyways, I bought into the iTunes DRM scheme long ago and it has hindered me yet. i prefer no DRM but as long as I can use it on a device, I am OK. I am a bit concerned about Amazons ability to shut of your account at will. I've read this several places on the web and its scarry. I read where one guy only returned a pricey dslr camera because it was giving him problems and amazon cancelled his account on this. That is scarry. I called amazon yesterday to ask a few question about the kindle and also asked about the scenario of an account for kindle being shut off based on problems with the shopping side. He said they wouldn't do this because they'd want you to continue using your kindle and continue buying books. I told him I have read all over the web of this happening. He reassued me again it wouldn't happen. He also stated that during the first year, any problems you had with you kindle requiring replacement that the replacement would be a new device and not refurb. This contrary to other posts on this board. But who's to say BN or any other doesn't do the same. All in all I am very confused. I have researched for months now and want an ereader. I want to be able to access my books wherever I am (digital bookshelf). I wouldn't mind the kindles ability to access certain web pages to get news and such. I daily check fox news and cnn (thats what I call balanced news ;-) . Newspaper and magazines seem to be more abundant on amazon but I'm sure BN will build theirs up als, but how long will it take. The following is a break down of how "I" see the two...

Nook Pros:
epub
BN a national book chain. Their primary job is to sell books.
very nice hardware
android
wifi
micro sd expansion

Nook Cons:
epub that is DRMed
BN a national book chain. Their primary job is to sell "PHYSICAL" books.
clunky interface on nook
SW has too many bugs right now
Will not have a nook until mid Jan 2010
touchscreen = fingerprints = enraged OCD
small selection of books
higher prices

Kindle Pros:
available now
polished SW
web browsing
conversion for formats not natively supported
larger selection of books and media
cheaper prices of book
physical keyboard (although some see this as a negative, I don't)
established
international access (I live in USA so not a big deal unless I travel)
PDF support
promised epub support (i read that here on a post that stated amazon would suppot this soon)

Kindle Cons:
limited support for formats without going thru conversion
Amazon proprietary format (mobi with DRM, althrough its been broken)
locked into Amazon
amazon can at will shut down your account (although they claim they won't)
poor pdf support
aesthetics not as nice as nook but not bad either.
not epub support yet

I guess the big negative on Amazons side is their format. I think if they moved to epub then they would gain alot more business. I read on a post here that someone had read that Amazon made a statement that they were looking to make the kindle compatible with epub also. I didn't take it they were converting their existing library over to epub but that they would allow the kindle to natively read it from somewhere else. I don't know how true this is but I hope it is.

Sorry to be so long winded but its 5 am here and I had to get this off my chest. I hope everyone can help me. Thaks.
kmj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Actually, the Sony PRS-900 is a good choice. I know its not available right now, but it is available for pre-order now.
So, if it isn't availble yet, how do you know it is a good choice? I admit my Sony 505 is excellent but that doesn't translate into the 900 being excellent, too.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My mother has a 600 which she really likes. I do not mind the 600. It was the 700 I didn't like. The 900 will have a 7.1 inch screen with full justified ePub. It will have a nice fast processor, replaceable battery, and I hope not be too heavy.

I'm basing my opinion on what we know oof the 900 already and what we know of past Sony Readers. But even if you don't agree with me, I'd say to wait and see a 900 and then decide.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Kindle Pros:
PDF support
promised epub support (i read that here on a post that stated amazon would suppot this soon)
I basically agree with your conclusion. The Nook has advanced the state of the art in hardware, but has half baked software. Software can be fixed, but it can also be left half baked - time will tell.

I am not aware of any commitment from Amazon about ePub. At best they might add it to their e-mail conversion options, but Amazon's ePub to MOBI capability is far inferior to Calibre. The Nook handles PDFs better than the Kindle. The Kindle does not reflow the PDF and does not support the table of contents. The Nook does not have a landscape mode for PDFs (which the Kindle does), but it shows each page either full size (i.e. very tiny text for letter/A4 PDFs) or reflowed at various font sizes. Neither one has excellent PDF support, but the Nook's is better.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
KMJ,

I say try out the Kindle.

You have a thirty day refund period which you can use as a trial run; at the end of the thirty days, you can send it back to Amazon for a full refund (they'll even send you a shipping label).

In those thirty days you can throughly test out the Kindle, download some free books and see how it reads, while waiting to see if any of the nook's issues are fixed.

If the nook's issues as you see them are improved in that time you can return the kindle and buy the nook.... and if you're perfectly satisfied with the Kindle, well, there you go!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Yes the K2 is fully functional, has the best eBook store and customer support and is available. I highly recommend it. The Sony 900 will have a blurry, glare prone screen just like it's little brother.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote