Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #31
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hugo? "Pretty?" He's gonna have to add a few more safety pins after that!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
No, I prefer the ones with a few rough edges. Hugo is too "pretty" handsome for my tastes.
yeah, but he's a bit smarter too. that's what made me think of him.

then again, lefty is like a card playing savant sometimes.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #33
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harv Wallbanger woke up with the usual hangover. Being a pilot, he felt there were only two things to do with one's time. Fly, or drink. He tried really hard not to do both, but the occasional emergency cropped up, so what were you going to do?

Lately, however, he had been without a plane, so the second choice was leaned on heavily. It didn't help much that he was in Havana, where rum was cheap and plentiful. As he rubbed his skull and tried to figure out exactly why a family of feral cats had moved into his mouth, he vaguely wished that it was also "good."

He was without a plane entirely without fault to himself. This time. He had landed a job with the Postal Service flying Airmail between Havana and Miami. A sweet little deal that paid well and on time. Then the Depression had taken yet another downturn and the volume of mail had dropped off. As had his job. From the face of the Earth.

If he weren't really good at playing poker, he would have starved by now. As it were, he had to stay out of the sights of the mafia bosses who really ran the country. Too much skimming of their, to them rightful profits from gambling, and he'd soon be an ex-pilot as well as person.

So, he kept a room at a boarding hotel and hoofed it everywhere he went. He didn't make too much in a night and occasionally lost to the right people.

And he waited. Waited for the right opportunity to fly again. Waited for the right snake to skin. Waited for some sign that the Statue of Limitations was going to be shortened in Wisconsin. Waited, in vain, for love.

And today, he was also waiting for hot water. The tap was putting out a luke-warm and brown stream. He really hated shaving in cold water. It was just too much like when he had been in the RAAF back in the Big One. Or in the German POW camp. Or back home in Wisconsin.

Looking in the mirror, he decided that a stubble made him look manly and mysterious and skipped shaving today.

Last edited by pshrynk; 09-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i bet harv is handsome.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #35
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i bet harv is handsome.
handsome or Handsome? Or both?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #36
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
handsome or Handsome? Or both?
i was thinking Handsome, but probably both.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #37
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're such a romantic! I was thinking Oily, but then I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #38
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
OMG, an upper case letter! (doggie faints dead away)
Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
You're such a romantic! I was thinking Oily, but then I could be wrong.
yes i am, but keep it down willya !!! don't want any nasty rumours getting out...

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-20-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: "nasting" ? what kind of a word is "nasting" ???
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #40
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
i thought it was hugo.
I thought it was me! [looks in mirror] No, unless "handsome" means "face like an ape's arse", it's not me, you're quite right, carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
It was just too much like when he had been in the RAAF back in the Big One.
RAAF? RAAF! Woohoo!

Cheers,
Marc (a RAAF-brat)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #41
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I thought it was me! [looks in mirror] No, unless "handsome" means "face like an ape's arse", it's not me, you're quite right, carry on.

RAAF? RAAF! Woohoo!

Cheers,
Marc (a RAAF-brat)
Back in the Big One, the RAAF would have been RAAAF...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #42
pshrynk

Vera stood at the railing and went through her options. They were few. The riverboat did not stop until the morning at Cairo and jumping overboard would ruin her dress and leave her luggage behind. Besides, she really wanted to get to Saint Louis. She had heard that there was a rolling craps game there that she could get a piece of if she had the cash.

She sighed and looked out over the Mississippi River. She'd come a long way from the starry eyed Political Science major at the University of Wisconsin. Mostly downward. Her father had always told her that the only options for a woman with that degree were to starve to death, work as a spy, or make a living gambling. He'd been too polite to mention option four. She'd done one and three, so far and was assiduously avoiding number two. What fun would that be?

She looked down at the ropes that tangled in the bow of the boat. A small grey dog was sitting there, looking longingly at the shore. He was cute in a horrid little way. His ears stuck out from the side of his head and he had a short little beard. Very expressive eyes, she noted.

What the Hell, she thought, I've always wanted a dog. She reached down quickly and scooped him up. The dog let out a yelp and scrabbled to get away. Too late, as Vera clamped down on his neck.

"You're a cute little bugger!" she said, keeping a firm grip on him and avoiding the teeth. "It's a good thing I don't have any children, or they'd want to steal you away from me." The dog visibly relaxed.

"I wonder if I have any food you'd like?" Ears went up and a stubby tail started vibrating. Vera got the disitinct impression that she needed to get him some bacon.

"I wonder what your name is." She held the puppy out at arms length and looked at him carefully. "For some reason, I think Vivaldi would be just the right name for you."

Vivaldi wriggled in joy.

"You know, it's almost like you can actually talk, little guy!"

"That could be... arranged." The voice behind her did not seem to be connected with any of the usual sounds one expects when being approached from behind. Like footsteps, for a beginning.

Pivoting slowly, she found herself face to face with Handsome. a chill went down her spine.

"Allow me to introduce myself, young... lady," he said hold out a card.

Vera looked at the card which read: "Magamont Montsnmags, MD (ret.)"

"It is my pleasure to... meet you, Miss Wayne! Oh, and this is... Adrian..." The doctor waved his hand at the air next to him.

Oh. He was that kind of doctor... Vera thought.

Last edited by pshrynk; 10-29-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

hm... Handsome is that kind of doctor... you'll keep us guessing till the last, won't you ?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #44
pshrynk

That's my goal.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #45
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry I'm late... did I miss anyth--

Hey, Howard Hughes look-a-likes! There's Terry O'Quinn! And DiCaprio! Cool!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wait, what?, when_harv_met_vera