Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Your links indicate that a DIV code is not supported in html5. But then your link tells me to use a DIV code in the html5 compatible code. I don't understand.
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
blackxacto
Enthusiast

What is kb short codes?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxacto View Post
What is kb short codes?
Press F5 and select Keyboard Shortcuts (kb shorts) and you'll see them

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm using Sigil 0.7.4 in Mavericks on a 27" iMac.

So I've cleared a ton of typos from the book over the past three days. Book is looking more like an actual book now. Since the preview or book view will not point the code view to the typo without flipping away following mouse click, I now use a procedure to edit typos. I open the book on an iPad in iBook and bookmark all typo pages. Then search for the typo in Sigil code view. I'm beginning to become a regular search expert

I'm a recovering designer after 33 years and hate flush left text in any ebook, can someone help with a code for changing flush left to center for certain heads? Don't hate me, I just want to correct a free book I found.

I do appreciate the Gurus suggestion for line space, it worked beautifully.

Oh, one other code, what code would work for ITALICIZING a word within a paragraph? Thanks guy's.
<i>stuff</i>
or <span class="your italic font class">stuff</span>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
blackxacto
Enthusiast

You guys are great, thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you considered using the Edit eBook function of calibre, as opposed to Sigil for your eBook editting?
I opened Calibre 1.32.0 in Mavericks and found no way to view HTML coding like I can in Sigil.

It funny. I think I have used Calibre before to edit a book last year, but I see no way to in the app now. I thought at one time I was able to add a cover to an ebook in Calibre, but see no way now.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I opened Calibre 1.32.0 in Mavericks and found no way to view HTML coding like I can in Sigil.

It funny. I think I have used Calibre before to edit a book last year, but I see no way to in the app now. I thought at one time I was able to add a cover to an ebook in Calibre, but see no way now.
Select book: Tap T
that brings up the editor: Code View is the main window. can't get much closer to the HTML than that
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #23
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Grand Sorcerer: I bow to your majesty.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Got a situation where individual HTML docs end, but the ebook does not join them without appx half a page space. Have I deleted the correct end code for the docs so they will run in w next doc? Or what is the correct code to run in HTML docs?

Also, to continue my stupid beginner queries, why are there several HTML text docs and not just one in an ebook?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You will have to see what is at the end of each of them and the beginning. There is no inherent reason for a half page space.

You might download a book from the MR library and see how they begin and end.

The books tend to have the long book broken up with files in chapters. Since the reader will try to reformat at any change, reformatting the whole file when you only really need to reformat the chapter you are reading tales time. Reformatting only a small file takes less time, so the books are broken up by chapters, typically.

Also older readers may not open up any epub with any file much bigger than 250k.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
blackxacto
Enthusiast

The 250k makes sense, thanks.
I'll look at a book from MR for the start and end code, thanks.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

each new file will begin on a new e-reader screen.
if you don't like that you can merge xhtml files
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #28
blackxacto
Enthusiast

What is it with Calibre? I'm hitting T and no code view. Their is a tiny INSPECTOR window, but not the Code View I have seen. In Calibre, I've hit Command+T, Command+T+TAB, TAB, I stood on my head and hit T. No code view.

What do ebook designer's use to create and to open ebooks. Calibre is so WANKY. And then Sigil is going away I see. What the heck is there to do this professionally?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is it with Calibre? I'm hitting T and no code view. Their is a tiny INSPECTOR window, but not the Code View I have seen. In Calibre, I've hit Command+T, Command+T+TAB, TAB, I stood on my head and hit T. No code view.
@blackxacto - you must have an old version of calibre. The editor was introduced in mid Dec 2013 in version 1.15, current version is version 1.32

Latest downloads are here ==>> http://calibre-ebook.com/download

The editor is still being developed, its quite stable but its being enhanced continuously.

Quote:
What do ebook designer's use to create and to open ebooks. Calibre is so WANKY.
Probably depends on what sort of book. I doubt many use Sigil or the Calibre Book editor as the primary composition tool. Some would use a word processor, others a text editor, then there are writers tools like Scrivener, and desktop publishing programs like InDesign.

Calibre is primarily an ebook library manager that 'talks' to many of the book readers out there, of which there are dozens (hundreds maybe) and they all have propriety wrinkles and there are new models being released all the time with new features and foibles.

One of the main reasons Calibre now has an editor is because Sigil Development has been put on the back-burner.

Oh, You can use the calibre editor standalone - you'll find it at ebook-edit.exe in the install directory. You can also use it from within the library - via the 'T' kb short

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #30
blackxacto
Enthusiast

I using Calibre 1.32 for Mac. Where is the Code View? It ain't hitting T?