Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Little black dots

Hello,

I've noticed something a few days ago on my Kobo.

When I was reading, I kept getting bothered by two small black dots on the screen.

I thought it was the printing of the book, did a refresh, even after turning off and on the device, they were still there. It's like if two of the "pixels" won't go gray anymore, they stay black all the time.

Does anybody else seem to have experienced that too?

Do u guys think I should go for an exchange? It's really bothering me, even though they are really small.... it seem it's all I can look at hahah...

I got it 13 days ago at Wall Mart....

Thanks for the help!
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
What happens if you turn the reader off, do the dots still stay there? Secondly have you tried wiping the screen with a soft cloth? A couple of times I have had dust on my reader which made it look like a bad screen. Just a thought.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
jonnybraga

yes, i've tried both....

it's definitely something "inside" the screen... not over it....

the off/on procedure didn't do much either...

thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Yes, I have these dots as well. Maybe they're something similar to stuck pixels. I have one that's particularily bothering me, but it is still very small (smaller than a period). And there are a few that I can see only if I look very hard. I try not to think about my dot and try to ignore it. I know if I had to exchange my Kobo for another one, I would probably end up with even more dots... (my life experience, haha) so I just have to live with it .... nevertheless it is very tiny.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I expect newly bought goods to be flawless unless second hand or honestly described as factory seconds. Demand a brand new machine, Johnny. And because this appears from Thrasher's post not to be an isolated problem but a common fault, insist that you try out your replacement before accepting it. Good to have your company, by the way. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
jonnybraga

Thank you for your help, neilmarr.

I've just arrived home from Wall Mart....

I got an exchange... don't see any disturbing dots so far.... hehehe

let's hope...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
All E Ink screens have small inverted dots (smaller than pixel):

http://s.wieze.org/wieza/gfx/makro.jpg

They are probably changing place with every refresh and are normal.

If they are larger though, the size of a pixel - they are probably stuck pixels. It's a typical problem for all TFT devices (LCDs, OLEDs, e paper etc.).

Last edited by Magnesus; 06-15-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Johnny: Hope your new machine is faultless. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote