Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur
hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android
Ok...

I removed calibre completely. Complete exorcism. Removed all calibre data from AppData/Roaming where it creates a folder and uninstalled both 32 and 64-bit versions. Cleaned temp directory. Emptied Recycle Bin. Restarted.

Downloaded a fresh install that purports to be v 1.37 64 bit from main calibre website.

Installed.

Windows reports that the calibre version installed is 1.36.
Calibre reports that the calibre version installed is 1.36.
Revo reports that the calibre version installed is 1.36.

I went into the install directory. Program Files\Calibre2\.

I found calibre.exe, right-clicked and brought up properties.
Properties reports that it is version 1.36.

I downloaded and installed 1.38 this morning. Now I have 1.38 up and running.

Still don't understand what the problem with 1.37 was.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Maybe things would go better for me if I removed Greenwald from my list of Google Now reminders. Probably been targeted as a dissident or something worse.

40% kidding. If I were a government agency interested in knowing it ALL I would certainly target the e-reader of choice for anyone with even the slightest modicum of intelligence on the internet.
hidden.platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@hidden.platypus - If I had had your problem then I would be examining my work practices with respect to managing the downloading and installation of new versions of software.

For if the download for calibre 1.37 had been installing calibre 1.36 then there would have been far more than one person with the problem.

You can get an accurate picture of calibre usage numbers here ==>> http://status.calibre-ebook.com/

No doubt Kovid could tell us exactly how many downloads there were of version 1.37, but by my reckoning, 1.3% of 23.3M is ~300,000+.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur
hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hidden.platypus can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

@BetterRed
Not sure I understand what you mean by "work practices".
Firefox manages the downloads; I don't. All my downloads go into one folder, and I rarely rename the files prior to downloading. I let Windows and Firefox manage that.

And I still have the installers, and my download history. You're free to examine both.

Downloaded the installer from 2 different locations. I even POINTED OUT in the OP that the hash didn't match the md5 signature reported on Fosshub.

You make it sound like I'm slinging accusations.

I had an issue, and asked if anyone else was experiencing this.

There wasn't anyone else who responded who did.

FWIW the installer I downloaded for 1.38 matches the hash signature on Fosshub.

If you have some other suggestion, or want more information to aid you in unraveling the mystery I'll be happy to provide it.

Or if you know what the md5 or SHA1 hashes are supposed to report for the 1.36 installer I'd be happy to check the "1.37" installer I have against that.

For me, the issue is dead. I upgraded to the latest version (FWIW I still can't install 1.37).

If you have some explanation as to why the 1.37 installer I thought I downloaded turned out to be the 1.36 installer for me, and not the other 300,000 estimated users I'll be happy to hear it, and thrash it around.

Maybe I have some sort of weird cache enabled on my system (I'm relatively sure I don't but I don't know everything) that refused to realize that 1.37 was a new installer so every time I ran the 1.37 installer it ran the 1.36 installer from the mystery cache I don't know about (and for the record I deleted all of my system restore points prior to the "1.37" install) just in case this unlikely scenario was in any way realistically probable.

But the insinuation that I have some nebulous "work practices" I need to address is hardly helpful.

Last edited by hidden.platypus; 05-23-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Thought I had accidentally put in trailing whitespace.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
hidden
your practice of checking SHA1 or MD5 differs from mine, because, I don't.

I use Firefox on W7 (an XP), I download from the main Caibre site. I have had 2 (TWO) corrupted downloads in 5 (five) years of almost weekly updates.

If you had tried to run the 36 installer a second time, you would have seen the 'Change' Calibre box instead of the 'Install' Calibre box
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur

@theducks

The only reason I checked the hashes is because I wanted to be sure that I had the 1.37 installer. I did this after trying to install 1.37 multiple times and getting 1.36 instead.

And I mentioned that was getting the "repair" box in post #4 in this thread.
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@hidden.platypus - If the computer in question is your personal computer then IMO its you who manages everything that happens on it. Software firefox, calibre or windows itself are merely tools - they have no autonomy

I've had firefox do a download but when I looked in the place where I thought it should be it wasn't there, when I checked the download location in firefox it had put it elsewhere. It was always some addon, firefox itself, or me that screwed up.

My work practice is to download software installs (zip's, exe's and msi's) to %UserProfile%\Downloads\Software folder, install the software, then move the software install to my Software Installs folder, which happens to be on another drive. Because I have to do something - execute and move the install file - I get the chance to see any oddities. My expectation is that my download subfolders will be empty or only contain things I just downloaded.

IMO keeping everything ever downloaded in the downloads folder (as I often see in my travels) is a poor work practice. But no matter how much I brow beat my friends when they call me in to "fix their computer" they persist in doing it.

If I have any issues with a download via firefox then one of the things I do is use IE or Chrome to do the download, sort of like getting a second opinion - I have them configured to download to the desktop.

If you downloaded from FOSSHUB perhaps they screwed something up. They don't seem to have previous versions so I can't download 1.37 from them. If you upload your recalcitrant copy of calibre-64bit-1.37.0.msi somewhere and PM me the link, then I'll compare it to my copy and install it on my test rig and see what happens there.

Below are the MD5 and SHA hash codes for my E:\Software Installs\Productivity\Calibre\calibre-64bit-1.37.0.msi

Code:
CRC32	b6f9d304
MD5	b9cd32926448ce03dfe0dcac22f0fe0d
SHA-1	64715c81714d951b67714650b2e44c76f313a267
SHA-224	b3dd0b10cceeca19526f8c98bc8fabe766f2c74e347d91e4996de0ac
SHA-256	ac06c5acd065615a70c9c801d5c26b701bbf0b28daafdb47abe758aa90c5fa79
SHA-384	f10a71bb2a2f4619bc663a1a112bc30b39ad3ce055f1578003ce988f904c2d2c74000c47fcc39b7b10dc633a8240205f
SHA-512	1f08ebf948b13ddb5aecc1dc93db92c1e550446d8b4ade115df59016a1d13339a95df330e615db896077a44b2d4deb9b67b26e6fb9a6799d6447c85fa89e8cd1
BR

It might have been the spooks, thanks to HRW I lost 8 years of emails because I used the same email service as Greenwald's source. HRW broadcast that fact on Facebook, so to save face NSA shut down the email service.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@hidden.platypus - here are Properties->Details and check sums for my copy of calibre-64bit-1.36.0.msi

One thing I just noticed is that the size of the 1.36.msi and 1.37.msi are exactly the same - 60,981,248 bytes.

Is it possible that you use a download gadget that does a size compare before its starts the download (it can get a size before the download, hence the download progress indicators), and it decides that the 'new' one is the same as an 'old' one so it applies a bit of black magic (copy & rename) to the old one to create a new one.

Or did FOSSHUB maybe do that ?

Code:
CRC32	be0ee79f
MD5	85293cf6c9b8e44ea70528d9b963ed2d
SHA-1	af4f204753b0543282837db26d945fb9c5a54f46
SHA-224	46abc3c09e63f0f4e66875177caaf93abfbccc0681d140a98a9391d9
SHA-256	b7686073d2ec50df552a4dc9b6e4e03b434beab5967447e5626dc18cb516dd5d
SHA-384	2cbf0f9c20a6a0cc18ff8cc5972c12b8b5a85f04090fdde7a28eafc7840a7b7833a0afed6c0aef095e3d593241856064
SHA-512	f1cd1a6082207af7eeb94d44f4ee03ace8d979a414047eda5359cf741c5692051215a7b2bf77aa82d8b8c211c3940bb8140b8226021033c30ea035c27070f6ec
BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	123276  
Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur

@BetterRed

The hashes match my copy of "1.37".

I'll upload the file I have to Box momentarily.

Like you I don't keep much in the Downloads folder. It gets deleted, or moved depending on utility and file type.

I don't use a download gadget. 1.36 was not in the download folder at the same time as 1.37, but possible that Firefox remembered 1.36 and continued to switch, unseen, what it considered to be the same file as the "new" file.

I should have used Chrome to download the file and test, but I didn't think of that.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
hidden.platypus
Connoisseur

@BetterRed

Here's the link.

https://app.box.com/s/skmqz0ixtehhfq62gbly

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden.platypus View Post
@BetterRed

The hashes match my copy of "1.37".
@hidden.platypus - I assume you mean the 1.36 hash codes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden.platypus View Post
@BetterRed
Like you I don't keep much in the Downloads folder. It gets deleted, or moved depending on utility and file type.

I don't use a download gadget. 1.36 was not in the download folder at the same time as 1.37, but possible that Firefox remembered 1.36 and continued to switch, unseen, what it considered to be the same file as the "new" file.

I should have used Chrome to download the file and test, but I didn't think of that.
@hidden.platypus - See your PM inbox

How often do you clear the firefox download list, even if the downloaded file is deleted the download url and the size are retained in the list. But it's hard to believe its a firefox hiccup, given that firefox is the most popular browser.

For the record - the link h.p posted is to an exe that's named calibre-64bit-1.37.0.msi, but it's calibre-64bit-1.36.0.msi - the msi Revision Number and the Checksums are as per 1.36.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-25-2014 at 01:00 AM.