Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Year-over-year phone upgrades are largely incremental and rarely mind-blowing. And that's okay, because almost no one buys a new phone every year. But if you're upgrading from a 2- or 3-year old model, this is a huge improvement. The difference between the original iPhone, released only six years ago, and today's model is unbelievable.
I hope so I'm currently using an iphone 3 which is dying so was thinking of upgrading to the 5s but the big launch today seemed mainly disappointing. I suspect that's probably due to the heavily negative comments on the interwebs this morning and in reality it would be a really nice upgrade for me. I thought about going android but I use my phone to interact with my apple tv and itunes library and I'm worried it won't work as smoothly out of their eco system if at all.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I hope so I'm currently using an iphone 3 which is dying so was thinking of upgrading to the 5s but the big launch today seemed mainly disappointing.
The 5 is a solid phone, if you can grab one before they're sold out/withdrawn. I upgraded from a 3 series (can't remember which one) and have been very happy with it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #33
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I hope so I'm currently using an iphone 3 which is dying so was thinking of upgrading to the 5s but the big launch today seemed mainly disappointing. I suspect that's probably due to the heavily negative comments on the interwebs this morning and in reality it would be a really nice upgrade for me. I thought about going android but I use my phone to interact with my apple tv and itunes library and I'm worried it won't work as smoothly out of their eco system if at all.
I wouldn't worry, and I wouldn't let the pundits get to you. I upgraded from a 4 to a 5 and it was a tremendous improvement. Going from a 3 to a 5S running a brand new OS is going to blow your mind.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
... the big launch today seemed mainly disappointing.
With the stock price down more than 2%, you're not alone.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #35
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is the lens and sensor size not the software and pixel numbers that make good cameras, so it will always be crap on any smartphone. Buy a cheap consumer point and shoot instead.
Actually it's the point spread function and software that corrects for optical aberrations that make good cameras.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
With the stock price down more than 2%, you're not alone.
Only 2% this time?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #37
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
It would benefit from some Peanut Butter Cups in the logo.

(Hopefully this means iPad-related news will surface soon, though I think Apple lost me to Google permanently for waiting so long.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #38
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
I love these kinds of releases, I'll have no problem sticking with my 4S again and saving my cash.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #39
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I don't know about apple tv, but there are android apps that let you use itunes to store your music. When I switched from iPhone to android (HTC One X+) I found 2 apps--Rocket and iSyncr. Rocket is my music player on my phone, and iSyncr is the app on my computer that transfers my music, videos, etc from iTunes to my phone. The only ones it won't transfer are those that have DRM (when iTunes used to do that). The majority of my music comes from CD's and Amazon so I think I only had 2-3 songs that wouldn't transfer to my phone.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #40
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I've already heard the fingerprint scanner referred to as giving the NSA a signed confession .
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #41
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I hope so I'm currently using an iphone 3 which is dying so was thinking of upgrading to the 5s but the big launch today seemed mainly disappointing.
Even if it was disappointing, it is disappointing from the perspective of people comparing an iPhone 5s/5c to an iPhone 5. You are talking about a more substantial upgrade, both in terms of hardware and software, so you are bound to be impressed with the progress that Apple has made.

That said, I do think that Android devices are a much better deal.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #42
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yes, moving from an iPhone 3 to iPhone 5S, you will be thrilled. It's the people who have an iPhone 5 who are bound to be disappointed, much like the people who have a Kindle Paperwhite and were disappointed in the recent announcement of the Paperwhite 2. There's nothing wrong with incremental improvements! I don't think companies need to reinvent their products every year.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
If you asked whether I'd be interested in owning an iPhone 5S, the answer would be no. I prefer the customization and potential of Android.

If, however, you asked which tablet I might buy, the answer would have to be an iPad for now -- not because the hardware is exceptionally innovative or solid, but because the majority of music software developers support it.

Sometimes being independent means looking like a conformist: buying the product everyone else loves to hate in order to use third-party tools to which most people don't pay attention.

For now, the divide is between enthusiastic Android development and established professional software. Where indie startups can get the job done, Android is central (and the most fun). But on either side, Microsoft corrals legacy business software while Apple hoards the traditional players in the arts.

Photography and graphic design haven't been Apple's exclusive domain since the '90s, and everyone knows that Cubase and Reaper are fabulous DAWs for the PC. But Android and Windows don't have enough solid pro music software for their tablets. There's the latency issue, there's compatibility, and there's the legion of handshakes between long-term developers and the underlings of bearded computer mavericks. No amount of coolness and flexibility will impress a musician who's simply trying to write a piece of music or lay down tracks. USB Audio Pro and Multitrack USB are steps in the right direction, but the destination is still a tad distant for my tastes.

I expect things to change drastically in the next five to ten years. When they do, I'll be happy to use Android for music, since there's less chance of lockdown as long as it supports multiple hardware manufacturers.

Until then, I'll use the tools I've been given while trying not to pay attention to how disappointing Apple's launches might be. I'd forgive the lack of innovation if Apple didn't choose to hide labyrinthine exoskeletons and legalese-slippery screws behind apparently friendly aluminum eggshells.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-11-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I am in the same boat as melmac - I have an iPhone 3S now and will probably upgrade this cycle. Is it worth the $100+ for the faster processor of the 5S over the 5C? Will the difference be noticeable at all? I don't care about any of the other features other than the nicer casing.

Also, can I transfer my SIM card from the 3S to the 5S or do I have to go through my service provider? Thanks.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I've already heard the fingerprint scanner referred to as giving the NSA a signed confession .
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote