Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #1501
pr126
pr126 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Maybe this is not the right thread, but Calibre fails to connect to Kindle after the latest (8.33) update.

Calibre, version 0.8.33

ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: 'F:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 312, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 106, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: 'F:\\driveinfo.calibre'

The computer recognizes the Kindle OK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #1502
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Works fine for me. Just remember that it does take ~20-30 sec for Calibre to recongnise your kindle.

Last edited by ThomasC; 01-05-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1503
Slizide
Slizide began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can this be used for emailed books?

Does anyone know if this can be used to automatically add an emailed book to a collection?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1504
dickens61
dickens61 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2 intl
Unhappy kindle fonts with kindle collections calibre plugin

I've tried to add my own fonts several times using the kindle collection plugin under the modify kindle settings options. The alt font files get created, but after I reboot my kindle the new font does not show up in my books. Instructions also say that there should be an "alt" option when to into Aa from an open book.

I have kindle firmware version 2.5.8 and calibre version 0.8.30.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dickens61; 01-10-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarification of font settings
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #1505
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
For example, DroidSerif is popular and free, available from http://www.google.com/webfonts/famil...ly=Droid+Serif (you will need to extract the 4 files from the zip file, and rename DroidSerif.ttf to DroidSerif-Regular.ttf)
When I click the link I am just taken to some page which only shows the font. How to actually save it? I tried going to the webpage shown there, but managed to go only to some pro versions which costs 200 $. So basically I am trying out the font feature and wanted to do it by the instructions, but seem unable to . Any help is appreciated
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1506
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
When I click the link I am just taken to some page which only shows the font. How to actually save it? I tried going to the webpage shown there, but managed to go only to some pro versions which costs 200 $. So basically I am trying out the font feature and wanted to do it by the instructions, but seem unable to . Any help is appreciated
From the webfont page for that font, select "add to collection". Then click on "use" and up near the top right should be a link that says "download your collection". That should do it.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1507
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

There is no add to collection. I open the link and there is only text with a few links to other places. How to save the font?
I should open it with kindle browser or something?
I think you have to download it with your computer, since you need to rename files, extract etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #1508
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
There is no add to collection. I open the link and there is only text with a few links to other places. How to save the font?
I should open it with kindle browser or something?
I think I might see the problem. Instead of using that link, try http://www.google.com/webfonts/ and from there (after clicking "start finding" or whatever is on that first splash screen), search for Droid Serif in the search box on the left. Then the other stuff I mentioned should show up. That seems to work on my end.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #1509
Noughty
Addict

Thanks. Got it. Wonder why it's not available on the home page etc. Is it really free? I have seen only the pro version which is quite costly. And google fonts also only suggests them to use on webpages, even if they provide you with the download of it.
Well, will try to set it up.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #1510
Coot402
Coot402 began at the beginning.

Device: Coot402
No books were found on the Kindle

I just purchased a Kindle fire for my wife and am trying to setup collections for her. I installed calibre, then used it to send the .mobi files to the Kindle. I am able to look at the directory structure and see the books in the documents folder. I am also able to read the books on the Kindle. But whenever I try to run "Kindle Collections" I get an error that "No books were found on the Kindle". I ran in debug mode and saw the following items that didn't seem correct. They are:

"Device does not seem to be a Kindle - no "J:\system" directory found:
BEGIN getting collections from file
Reading file: system\collections.json
No such file: system\collections.json
END getting collections from file

There is no \system\ directory on the Kindle. Log attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt Debug.txt (7.8 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #1511
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot402 View Post
I just purchased a Kindle fire for my wife and am trying to setup collections for her.
This plugin does not support the Kindle Fire. And due to the way the Fire (and Touch) manage collections, this is unlikely to change.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1512
brlumpet
brlumpet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi
thanks for the tutorial
I had the feeling to follow it all right
However when I want to view report of kindle collection, I get error message
calibre, version 0.8.34
ERROR: Failed to view collections: <b>Échoué</b>: View Kindle Collections

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe7 in position 7: invalid continuation byte

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 81, in run
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_view_co llections", line 46, in run
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_view_co llections", line 79, in generate_existing_kindle_collections_report
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xe7 in position 7: invalid continuation byte
unquote
If I want to edit kindle collection manually I get
calibre, version 0.8.34
ERROR: Exception non gérée: <b>UnicodeDecodeError</b>:'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 62-63: invalid continuation byte

File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.ui", line 162, in edit_kindle_collections
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_edit_co llections", line 75, in run
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_edit_co llections", line 92, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_edit_co llections", line 112, in init_sort_order
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_edit_co llections", line 307, in get_sorted_paths
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_boo ks", line 523, in get_sorted_paths
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_sor t", line 52, in sort_names
File "calibre_plugins.kindle_collections.kindle_sor t", line 125, in sort_compare_kindle_names
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 62-63: invalid continuation byte
unquote
Someone know where is the problem?
Thanks and best regards
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #1513
tumchiemac
tumchiemac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Excellent plugin, keep up the good work.

Last edited by tumchiemac; 01-20-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #1514
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just a bit of confusion about the required Calibre versions for this plug-in. Page one of this forum (and the Calibre Plugin list) notes that version 0.8.6 is required.
However, the latest version seems to be 0.8.35

I'm a bit nervous about trying this, although I use Calibre occasionally for formatting. Just want to make certain that I am using the correct set-up before I try it with my Kindle.
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #1515
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just a bit of confusion about the required Calibre versions for this plug-in. Page one of this forum (and the Calibre Plugin list) notes that version 0.8.6 is required.
However, the latest version seems to be 0.8.35

I'm a bit nervous about trying this, although I use Calibre occasionally for formatting. Just want to make certain that I am using the correct set-up before I try it with my Kindle.
Thanks for any help.
Versions are Strings.
8.6 is Eight dot Six not point 6
8.35 is 29 revisions past 8.6
Closed Thread