Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
iOS 4 / iBooks new formatting changes?

Just curious -- do any ePub developers have an iPhone upgraded to iOS4? Or an iPad running the iOS 4 beta?

If so, does it include a new version of iBooks?

What I'm wondering is, what formatting / feature support changes are planned for iBooks in the next version? Does anyone have the latest (iOS 4) iBooks version? Have there been any recent changes? (I only have version 1.1 on my iPad.)

I recall that the upgrade from version 1.0 to 1.1 broke or changed a number of formatting elements. So I was wondering if perhaps the same thing might happen again...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Bump. Really -- no one has any information? I figured someone would know something...
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iOS4 doesn't come with iBooks built-in; it's a downloadable app.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
jharker
Developer

Well, yes, but I assume that most people would download it pretty quickly. My question was aimed at epub developers who have an iPhone with iOS4 and the latest version of iBooks.

I basically just want to know, does it break anything that used to work?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
There are no changes. IBooks is an app, not part of iOS, so just because the OS changed doesn't mean iBooks changed. The current version of iBooks is 1.1.2 and hasn't changed in a while.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
jharker
Developer

Ah, okay. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I do know that the app is separate from the OS.

For some reason I had assumed that along with a shiny new OS, Apple would have made some upgrades to the iBooks app. I was puzzled that no one had mentioned any changes. Now I see that it's because there weren't any!

So perhaps the next likely event for an iBooks update will be when iOS 4.2 comes out, which will be sometime in November, apparently. Not too long now!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
That's possible, because Apple does tend to release updates to their "core" apps at major point releases of the OS. That's usually because the point releases have a number of changes to the programming frameworks on which those apps depend. That being said, iBooks, along with the iOS versions of the iWork suite, aren't really considered part of the core components of the OS, and Apple has released fairly major changes to these apps in the recent past completely separate from OS updates. Basically, then, it's anyone's guess as to when iBooks will get updated next. Just bringing it into full compliance with the ePub standard would be huge.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote