Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Can Calibre send to hidden folders?

I recently aquired a Kobo Glo which is lovely for reading on at night but it takes soooo long to process the number of ebooks that I have gotten use to loading on my older ebook readers. I have hidden the ebooks in a hidden file so that Kobo doesn't process them but Cool Reader can still find them.

However Calibre gives the following popup error when it tries to find books on the device: "Error communicating with device"
Quote:
calibre, version 1.42.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1680, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2576, in get_bookshelflist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
I have tried to point to the hidden folder using ".Books/{tags}/{authors}/{title}" and ".Books./{tags}/{authors}/{title}" in the device plugin but neither option seems to allow Calibre to find the folder. Is there something I can change to allow Calibre to match up those books on the device? It still sees my Kobo Glo and will send to it, but I'm never really sure if I'm overwriting existing copies of books or not.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
That error is saying that the database used by Kobo on the device is damaged or missing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Ack! That doesn't sound good. Is there a way to fix that without a factory reset?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Ack! That doesn't sound good. Is there a way to fix that without a factory reset?
Log out of your Kobo account from the device and log back in. That will rebuild the database.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic

Thanks, that fixed the error message. Now Calibre does find the books loaded by the Kobo desktop program, but it doesn't see any of the books in the hidden folder.

Last edited by Justy; 06-27-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I recently aquired a Kobo Glo which is lovely for reading on at night but it takes soooo long to process the number of ebooks that I have gotten use to loading on my older ebook readers. I have hidden the ebooks in a hidden file so that Kobo doesn't process them but Cool Reader can still find them.
The time taken is only during the initial processing of the books. Once they are all in the device and in the database, it is fairly quick to start. And if you let it sleep rather than power off, it takes no time.
Quote:
However Calibre gives the following popup error when it tries to find books on the device: "Error communicating with device"
The others have helped with this.
Quote:
I have tried to point to the hidden folder using ".Books/{tags}/{authors}/{title}" and ".Books./{tags}/{authors}/{title}" in the device plugin but neither option seems to allow Calibre to find the folder. Is there something I can change to allow Calibre to match up those books on the device? It still sees my Kobo Glo and will send to it, but I'm never really sure if I'm overwriting existing copies of books or not.
The calibre driver for the Kobo devices reads the database to determine what books are on it. To do what you want, can disable the driver and use "Connect to folder" instead. With that, calibre scan the folder and sub-folders for books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo glo