Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
PocketGoods
Banned
PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.PocketGoods is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: PB360
Lightbulb Video Comparison. PocketBook Pro 903 vs. Onyx Boox M90

Hello,

here is a video comparison of 9,7" ereaders from Onyx Boox M90 and Pocketbook Pro 903 with the the latest firmware

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvxXD4NUlc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnPo29WQaU
PocketGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Thanks!
I was wondering how these two compare.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I love my PB902!!!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I was on the fence on whether I was going to order the M91S or the Pocketbook Pro 902. After watching those videos the choice is clear, Pro 902 it is! Thanks for the video review.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
To be fair, the PocketBook Pro series early firmware had many of the same issues that the M90 shows. If Boox has a policy of updating the firmware with fixes, then many of the M90 problems may disappear in time like they did for the PB devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
To be fair, the PocketBook Pro series early firmware had many of the same issues that the M90 shows. If Boox has a policy of updating the firmware with fixes, then many of the M90 problems may disappear in time like they did for the PB devices.
what I am really worried about (I am still undecided between recommending a PB903 or a Boox to my husband) is that the M90 really seems far too slow: whether it is RAM, or processor, or something else I am not sure, but whatever it is, can it be fixed by firmware alone? One other think the user that made the videos was commenting upon in the Boox forum is that the design is unsatisfactory for him, in the sense that it is very easy to hit the controls for page turning by mistake.

But as you say, let's see, without forgetting that the PB903 still cannot annotate free hand PDF and DJVU files.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
what I am really worried about (I am still undecided between recommending a PB903 or a Boox to my husband) is that the M90 really seems far too slow: whether it is RAM, or processor, or something else I am not sure, but whatever it is, can it be fixed by firmware alone?
It is easy to write software that runs inefficiently, and I'm not sure there's any way for us to know right now whether Boox have done that or not. Wait and see would be my advice if you can put off buying the device for a few months.

For people who already own a device with a Pearl display, it might be hard going to a PB device that doesn't have one. That is probably the M90's best selling point at this time. Keep in mind that if he gets the M90, you might become dissatisfied with your own 903's display.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It is easy to write software that runs inefficiently, and I'm not sure there's any way for us to know right now whether Boox have done that or not. Wait and see would be my advice if you can put off buying the device for a few months.

For people who already own a device with a Pearl display, it might be hard going to a PB device that doesn't have one. That is probably the M90's best selling point at this time. Keep in mind that if he gets the M90, you might become dissatisfied with your own 903's display.
thanks rkomar - "wait and see" is precisely going to be my policy, though I might stop checking if we get good note taking with the PB903: the PB's flexibility is really hard to give up.

As for the Pearl display, perhaps my strategy should be to give my husband my tested PB903 while I iron out the M90' teething problems
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
thats sounds a fair strategy for me
Quote:
thanks rkomar - "wait and see" is precisely going to be my policy, though I might stop checking if we get good note taking with the PB903: the PB's flexibility is really hard to give up.

As for the Pearl display, perhaps my strategy should be to give my husband my tested PB903 while I iron out the M90' teething problems
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I can understand that Amazon bought out all the initial production capability of the Pearl screens but didn't Pocketbook say that they would use the best screen available? If Onyx can get the 9.7" Pearl screen now can't Pocketbook? I really don't need another reader but looking at the video if you put the Pearl display on the 903 I would be buying it.

Has anyone heard any rumors? Are they waiting for the new 2,400 x 1,650 displays?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
The video comparison appeared in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127120
(top of page 16)
Some people in the thread apparently think that the Onyx M90 used in that video doesn't work properly. For the moment I would wait.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I can understand that Amazon bought out all the initial production capability of the Pearl screens but didn't Pocketbook say that they would use the best screen available? If Onyx can get the 9.7" Pearl screen now can't Pocketbook?
I think that it is more than just replacing the vizplex with pearl. And maybe they don't think that making a new product is beneficial at this time. They still haven't ironed out the the issues with the current models.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

for the curious, another review is here
Old 06-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
for the curious, another review is here
To me, anyone who understands Russian is not just curious, but downright odd!

(paraphrasing Bullwinkle the Moose)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hahaha love bullwinkle
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote