Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
The Underland Chronicles

Hi everybody,
I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I would like to read something else by the same author. I see that she has a series titled The Underland Chronicles but I feel it's more for really younger children. Am I wrong? If so, is there anything else I could read from this author and if not, what is your appreciation of the Chronicles?

I really love this forum!

Thanks!
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
stxopher
Nameless Being

The Hunger Games is definitely for an older audience than the Chronicles. While there is some blood and violence in the final volumes (as makes sense considering it's a time of epic battles), Chronicles does not even come close to the dark and heavy themes of the Hunger Games.

Chronicles is an excellent fantasy series for starting or reluctant readers (around 10-12). Despite it being Collins first novel series, it is a nicely paced and interesting time without being bogged down with logic at the cost of fantasy fun.

I read the first book (Gregor The Overlander) at the request of an aunt picking up some books for her kinder and wanting to make sure it was appropriate for them. I went on to read the rest on my own (though they also ended up getting those too) just because it WAS such a light and easy fantasy. If you've read any of the Percy Jackson/Olympians series, think of Chronicles as that but for a slightly younger audience. If you are not a fantasy fan or are moving away from light fantasy, this would not be a good series for you.

As for other books she's written, I believe that Chronicles and Hunger Games are all she has currently written. You might take a look at Ship Breaker (Paolo Bacigalupi), Life As We Knew It (Susan Beth Pfeffer), or Let The Right One In (John Ajvide Lindovist) if the Chronicles doesn't sound like a good fit.
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you stxopher,

I really appreciate your comments. Although I like YA fantasy it seems that the Chronicles would be more a bit young for me but I'll certainly have a look at your other suggestions.

Thank you again
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read The Underland Chronicles just recently (in paper) and absolutely loved it. I'm not sure I'd actually give it to a 10 year old, the books do contain lots of death and blood after all. If you want to be spoilered, read the Wikipedia article, it has a Holocaust section which says quite a lot about these books. If you're an adult who likes fantasy as in swords and magic (and willing to substitute magic with obscure biology), it's worth a try.

I guess it's supposed to be a modern Alice in Wonderland, but if I had to compare The Underland Chronicles to another series, it would be Harry Potter. In both stories the hero is a young boy and they both discover a world that equally full of wonders as they are with danger... Never read the Hunger Games and probably never will so I can't tell you how these two relate.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-03-2010 at 10:19 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Pier
Enthusiast

Thank you frostschutz,

Since I loved Harry Potter I might give this one a try and read the first book to see how it goes.
Advert