Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
iRiver Story vs. Touch Reader

Ahoy!

So right now I've purchased the PRS 300, I love it.

Only problem is that it's not actually mine, and has been taken from me now that I've finished loading it with books and the like.

So now I'm looking at getting a PRS 600 (But it seems like they're sold out everywhere in the UK. John Lewis seem to have some Red ones in stock, though.), but I've just noticed the iRiver Story.

It lacks the touch screen, but has a actual keyboard and the main reason for getting a Touch being the slightly larger screen and speed of browsing, it seems like the iRiver can match that.

Anyone have any experience with the iRiver? Any comments on my choices?

Thanks for any help!
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
RedHeadPeter
Enthusiast
RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook
There's a review here:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11..._iriver_story/

my experience of iRiver has been restricted to their mp3 players where they have a reputation for excellent sound quality - continues to save my shadow having to cross the threshold of the Apple store!
RedHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I have no personal experience with the iRiver Story, but from all the info I can gather on it it seems to be a solid option with a lot of features, and is quite intriguing. I'm actually putting a page together of all it's info and photos right now on my website; it should be live in a couple of hours.

Also, check Waterstone's and WHSmith. They both have the 600 in stock on their websites.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Sakura
Enthusiast
Sakura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & DX
How does the iRiver Story handle manga and comics ?
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Purge
Enthusiast

Supposedly very well, it has it's own dedicated comic viewer.
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
How does the iRiver Story handle manga and comics ?
Here's an unboxing, with plenty of pictures:
http://stuff.tv/blogs/cool/archive/2...ver-story.aspx

If you don't mind the looks, it's appears to be a decent option for anyone who doesn't care about having a device-specific store. Drag-and-Drop support for Word files is nifty too.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
My very first reader was PRS 600. 2nd was iriver story. Very impressed with clarity of screen as compared to PRS 600 (text appears much darker). Only no touch screen or dictionary and cannot read the BBeb books I bought for the PRS 600. Can read comics while PRS has no comic reader. However, I cannot seem to find the dedicated case for iriver story while my sony has a sturdy M-edge case. Weight about the same. Now I prefer reading on the iriver story.
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Purge
Enthusiast

How is browsing through books, as well as just general use on the iRiver in comparison to the PRS 600?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Larrie
Enthusiast

Page turn seemed initially quicker than PRS 600 (using SDHC with iriver and memory stick with PRS 600), but then I transferred the books to the main memory of each and now it is pretty fast on both. When the books were on memory stick with the PRS 600, bookmarking was really really slow, but now in the main memory, it is much faster. Latest firmware of iriver also has pdf reflow. I also like the font magnifier on the iriver as besides enlarging the font, the margin also disappears (at the largest enlargement sometimes the words at the sides get cut off). Much less reflections as compared to PRS 600. Supposed to have a high capacity battery, but haven't really tested it. PRS 600 works fine when books in main memory rather than Memory stick pro (a lot slower including turning pages backwards..) but memory limited as compared to iriver 2GB. Also, iriver has a mono speaker at the back
Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Purge
Enthusiast

Alright, thanks!

Still a bit of a toss up, really, I'm wondering how useful I'll find the dictionary and annotation.

The menus on the iRiver are good too, I suppose?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
Larrie
Enthusiast

The Menu includes:Recent book,My Library,Music,Recordings(there is also a mic),Memo,Diary,Setting.There are arrow and enter keys to select on the kindle like keyboard.Pics are really sharper and blacker on story cf PRS600. But without a sturdy case,cannot really carry it around safely.My PRS600 dropped from the table and was completely protected by the M-edge executive case!A little easier to jump from page 0 to page 360 with PRS 600(have to use arrow button in move page option to quickly move to a later page) and to jump from book to book in the library with PRS 600 (by touching the desired alphabet) whereas in story have to move page by page in the library to the desired book.Can see difference in clarity?

Last edited by Larrie; 12-20-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Purge
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot, you've been a great help.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Larrie
Enthusiast

You are very welcome and hope you find the right reader for your use. Seems to be a reader's market nowadays with Digibook ADB-106, Pocketbook 301+, etc
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
RedHeadPeter
Enthusiast
RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie View Post
My very first reader was PRS 600. 2nd was iriver story. Very impressed with clarity of screen as compared to PRS 600 (text appears much darker). Only no touch screen or dictionary and cannot read the BBeb books I bought for the PRS 600. Can read comics while PRS has no comic reader. However, I cannot seem to find the dedicated case for iriver story while my sony has a sturdy M-edge case. Weight about the same. Now I prefer reading on the iriver story.
Amazon UK now have a case for the iRiver story. Actually they aren't selling it themselves - comes from a company called Omniscience. £24. But it doesn't look as nice (my opinion) as the iRiver case.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
RedHeadPeter
Enthusiast

And WH Smith are selling the iRiver story for £199.99. I'm getting to be very tempted.....