Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Embedding Tags

I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct forum to ask this so please move it if it isn't.

Often, I have bought books from the Sony Store (well, downloaded the free books since I can't use a UK Credit Card - but that is beside the point!). When I import into Calibre, I find that most of these books already have a variety of information embedded in, such as the publisher and the genre.

So, I was wondering whether or not I am able to do that when creating E-books of my own. I would love to embed as much information as possible, such as Series information, publisher etc.

Can I do this at all?

Thank you,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You can edit all this metadata within Calibre to your heart's content if that is what you mean, yes Just hit that "edit meta information" button.

If you want to put the metadata in while building the files, it depends a little on what format you are using.

I suggest you have a look at the MR wiki (always a great source of info), and earlier discussions on the topic (1,2)
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you, I'll have a look at that.

I know about being able to edit the metadata within Calibre however, I tend to edit my books at one location and then upload them for permanent storage at another. This means that all of the tags and details that I would have added would be lost (which is why I don't do it!). If I could permanently store them within the file, then it wouldn't matter were the file ended up as all the info would be kept intact.

As a rule, I use the BookCreator word macro (by ==X== I believe) to create all of my books (I am comfortable with it).

If I am unable to do what I want with this, then I will live with having to add the metadata on my home computer (it isn't like it will move once there!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Thank you, I'll have a look at that.

I know about being able to edit the metadata within Calibre however, I tend to edit my books at one location and then upload them for permanent storage at another. This means that all of the tags and details that I would have added would be lost (which is why I don't do it!). If I could permanently store them within the file, then it wouldn't matter were the file ended up as all the info would be kept intact.

As a rule, I use the BookCreator word macro (by ==X== I believe) to create all of my books (I am comfortable with it).

If I am unable to do what I want with this, then I will live with having to add the metadata on my home computer (it isn't like it will move once there!)
I dont know about other formats but when you convert from any book to epub the metadata is added into the book
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi PieoPah,
I don't know how comfortable you are with macros in word, but with a simple macro you can extend bookcreator to set the metadata you desire.
To make it modular for all your docs you can store the metadata as properties then access them from the macro.

The properties are located in the "File|Properties" menu option.

=x=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert