Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Hanlin V3 vs BeBook

So what is the difference between the two? Can I get Hanlin and install BeBook firmware and have "BeBook" ?
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
So what is the difference between the two? Can I get Hanlin and install BeBook firmware and have "BeBook" ?
The only hardware difference is the logo. So yes, you can cross-install firmwares.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
pixelar.co.uk had the Hanlin V3 at a good price when I bought one in March, and their shipping is cheap, too. And yes, you can just install Bebook firmware if you wish.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pixelar was the one I was look at This is the reason why I asked...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Be aware of the fact that there are currently some issues with the BeBook firmware.

for instance, at interwalls, the device will "lock up" and reboot without any aparent reason. While reading some books especially MS Reader or MobiPocket formated ones, which contain some sort of badly formated layout, the reader will kick you back to either the start of the book or just back to the "bookshelf".

also there is a problem with reading RTF's if sub/superscript is used, it reformats the whole thing to read as super or subscript until the next paragraph break.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
spaze
Addict

How does Hanlin manage the PDF format?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't know... Never even tried a PDF in my BeBook, since I dislike it as format for e-readers in general due to the screen which is really to small to handle a PDF well.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Don't know... Never even tried a PDF in my BeBook, since I dislike it as format for e-readers in general due to the screen which is really to small to handle a PDF well.
That's a bit misleading - the screen isn't too small to handle a PDF well, but it is too small to handle a typical PDF well - if you have a PDF formatted for the screen size, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

And the way it copes with bigger ones depends much on the firmware version. The old ones can zoom, the new Adobe versions can reflow the PDF instead of zooming, which is better for some documents but useless for other ones. Have a look around other threads, it's quite discussed these days.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
spaze
Addict

Does the Hanlin firmware have ADE or is it just BeBook that has it?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

"V3update Hanlin V2.10 2009-08-03 released

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V3update Hanlin V2.10 2009-08-03 2009-08-04

http://www.filedropper.com/v3update-hanlin-210-20090803
Description:

1.Support ADOBE DRM. Support PDF reflow.
2.Support ADE recognition and device activation.
3.Support mobi files without drm.
4.Support 5 X zoom in PDF and EPUB files.
5.This version does not support Chinese, Japanese and Korean."

So it's a general move to ADE for all Hanlin rebrands
Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
spaze
Addict

Great news. Good to hear that.

Pixelar also sells Hanlins via eBay
Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Great news. Good to hear that.

Looks like the bundle is slightly cheaper via ebay. BTW, neither the pouch nor the case is real leather, and the pouch is just a thin, soft synthetic material, that does not protect the screen very well. The case is also of synthetic materials*, but otherwise sturdy and nicely made, well-designed, and looks very nice for synthetic leather.

* I wonder if it's legal in Britain to advertise something as made of leather, when it isn't? It certainly isn't here.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Current firmware uses Adobe Digital Editions to manage and read PDF and ePUB. Previous versions use hanlin specific code for this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #14
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Pixelar on eBay

Quote:

I have just bought one from them on eBay. I will post a review when it arrives
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowworrier View Post
I have just bought one from them on eBay. I will post a review when it arrives
I ordered my Pixelar ereader on eBay on Saturday (£174 inc p&p), and it arrived today, Tuesday. I'm very happy with the speed, communication from Pixelar, packaging, and general niceness of the transaction. I haven't finished charging it up yet, so I can't yet write a full review of all features. But it looks nice, the accessories look good, it worked straight out of the box without having to read the manual, and the ebooks I have loaded on so far display beautifully.

I am very pleased to have got such a nice and apparently useful bit of kit for under £180!
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote