Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

View Poll Results: In addition to your eBookwise 1150, how many also own different ebook readers?
no eBookwise 1150 yet but use legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 1 1.28%
eBookwise 1150 only! 20 25.64%
eBookwise 1150 and legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 6 7.69%
eBookwise 1150 and iRex iLiad 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and Sony ebook reader (PRS-500, PRS-505) 14 17.95%
eBookwise 1150 and Bookeen Cybook Gen3 4 5.13%
eBookwise 1150 and Amazon Kindle 8 10.26%
eBookwise 1150 and other e-ink reader (HanLan, STAReBook) 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and mixture of above ebook reader 11 14.10%
eBookwise 1150 and ebook reader not mentioned above 6 7.69%
This doesn't apply to me but I'd like to see the results 8 10.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #16
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Still got and use my trusty Rocket reader, which I had great difficulty purchasing from the US of A. Unfortunately, I could never persuade them to sell me any of the later models. I always thought that was a bit weird, because Fictionwise always liked to take my money for ebooks but wouldn't sell me anything to read them on. Perhaps they thought I was going to read them through ESP or some sort of mental osmosis.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
crazyTash
Enthusiast
crazyTash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, eBookwise 1150
I recently got my eBookwise. I was planning to buy a sony reader. But someone on the forum was selling their eBookwise at a great price and I couldn't resist! I love this device. Now that I've used it for a few weeks, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as comfortable with the sony reader. I like the sturdiness of the eBookwise. I don't have to handle it delicately for fear of damaging the screen or any of the other parts. I didn't think I would ever need the rotating screen feature (I'm right-handed). But it turns out the feature is very useful when you are lazing in bed and reading!

Bottom line I don't see myself going for another device unless this one is damaged beyond repair! Given the reputation of the eBookwise, I don't see that happening for a very long time

Although I have to admit, I may decide to get one of the e-ink devices if the prices drop drastically in the future. Just for the experience!
crazyTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i hate the backlighting and wish i could turn it off completely
You can turn the backlight off completely, and the screen is still readable. I typically set contrast at the second space in "Accept these changes?" and brightness at the start of 'these', but I've run it at zero brightness and found the display readable. It's dark, of course, and without backlight reflections become more of an issue, but given reasonable external lighting and careful angling I can read with no problem.
Quote:
i find it much more comfortable to read in ambiant light with a lamp, than in a dark room
Contrarily, I find it cozy to read in the dark, without having to waste power on room lights.

The OLPC screen is the one in the One Laptop Per Child computer. At 4.5x6.0 inches it can fit a slighty-wider ETI-2 unit, and at 200 dpi it's sharper than any e-ink screen. People who've seen both say that in purely reflective mode OLPC looks better, both for its sharper letters and its whiter background. E-ink is good for two things: purely reflective viewing and low-power. OLPC isn't as low power, but it does reflective more sharply and can do color, which seems a better combo to me. Pixel Qi plans on commercializing the OLPC screen soon.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
You can turn the backlight off completely, and the screen is still readable. I typically set contrast at the second space in "Accept these changes?" and brightness at the start of 'these', but I've run it at zero brightness and found the display readable. It's dark, of course, and without backlight reflections become more of an issue, but given reasonable external lighting and careful angling I can read with no problem.
my contrast is set a little higher than yours, but brightness is about the same. i have tried to turn the backlight off altogether, but it lost too much legibility, and between reflections and loss of detail when i turned up the contrast to compensate it was easier just to keep a minimum of backlight. especially since, as regards "careful angling", i read in all kinds of crazy positions ! so the fewer "angle" constraints, the better.

Quote:
Contrarily, I find it cozy to read in the dark, without having to waste power on room lights.
i have the impression that a lot of people do ; i find it really suprising, because especially if my eyes are *already* tired (as they usually are, at the end of the day), it can be physically painful to me to do this. i must have defective eyes.

Quote:
The OLPC screen is the one in the One Laptop Per Child computer. At 4.5x6.0 inches it can fit a slighty-wider ETI-2 unit, and at 200 dpi it's sharper than any e-ink screen. People who've seen both say that in purely reflective mode OLPC looks better, both for its sharper letters and its whiter background. E-ink is good for two things: purely reflective viewing and low-power. OLPC isn't as low power, but it does reflective more sharply and can do color, which seems a better combo to me. Pixel Qi plans on commercializing the OLPC screen soon.
i didn't recognize the acronym but i thought that must be what you were talking about. i would like to see one of these screens in person ; they sound really interesting. according to the article you linked, the color display still could stand to be improved for text / straight lines etc. but for concept and price it seems pretty amazing... and defnitely a big leap forward in display technology. i can't wait to see what the 2nd generation will do...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Without backlight, the text on an eBookwise is essentially dark blue on dark olive. (I know it's black, but it feels dark blue.) Not the best, and certainly a color combination I'd override on a web page, but I have read with those settings for an hour or so, as an experiment. But minimal backlight certainly makes reading easier. I mostly read lying in bed at night, so I don't deal with odd angles. Or sunlight, since I rarely get out.

Straight lines in color mode are jaggedy, given the swizzling, but in monochrome, black is a straight-line of off-pixels, so
it's the full sharpness. I really hope someone uses the screen in an ebook device this year.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

logically, there's no reason that screen could not also have touch capability, right ? it seems like it could be a really good solution for ETI, given the cost, to maintain a very low-price reader which could also answer the (clearly non-negligible) demand for back-lit screens, while *also* providing the option of a non-backlit, reflective screen. it really seems like the best of all possible worlds, doesn't it ?

i hope Garth Conboy is thinking about that too...

i do think it is pretty vital to have low-priced devices such as the eb1150 (but updated, hopefully) available, if ebooks are going to really gain acceptance. before i got mine, i liked the idea, but i was a little worried about spending 350€ only to discover that in practice it didn't suit me at all, which is why i bought the eb1150 as my first device. now i'm convinced to the point of rabid enthusiasm. i imagine there are plenty of others who (could) feel the same way.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #22
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I voted for a 1150, and sony... We actually own a REB1100, a Sony 505, and we sold our 2 sony 500s.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #23
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I read an article recently that said computor monitors emit positive ions.
Positive ions can cause eye irritation and headaches in a lot of people.
Apparently negative ions are beneficial but they are attracted to and stick on the screen.
Positive ions, on the other hand, are attracted in the opposite direction - to you.
I don't personally suffer by sitting in front of a screen for hours but I know many people do.
I wonder if our hand-held e-readers affect us in the same way?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #24
Eimarmeni
Eimarmeni began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise, PRS-505 (Sony Portable Reader)
eBookwise and Sony 505, both mine mine mine ...

I have the eBookwise 1150 and a Sony 505. Bottom line ... I use the eBookwise and the Sony ... just sits there. I have to admit that the eBookwise, at least for me, does the job much much better. I love the rubber handle but, guys, the touch-screen is the absolute best. The ability to delete books, the dictionary for us "foreigners", the soft buttons in the right places, the capability to change hands with a simple "rotate" and all with a soft touch of my finger ... this reader is almost perfect and, of course, FAST. Or it's absolutely perfect if you put the low price in the deal too.

Now, the back-lit screen works fine for me because I read in bed at nights but I also use it in broad day light. I just don't let the sun fall straight on the screen. Admitedly the Sony is better for outdoors but so what? I can manage fine with the eBookwise (adjusting the contrast) and that's the end of it.

If they could do s/thing with the battery (to be able to change it with a new one), then I would be the happiest customer on earth!

P.S.: Really thinking of selling the Sony ...
Eimarmeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
cost

5. In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlighting be THAT important?

Thanks to all who participated![/QUOTE]

I really think its the cost of the new e-ink readers. That was the main deciding decision on my part to go with the ebook 1150. If they could get a decent e-ink machine under $200 then I would be willing to think about an upgrade.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #26
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Not enough options for me!

In order;

Ebookwise 1150, sold it like a dummy for a,
GEM-2150, sold it when i bought the,
Rocket eBook which I still have,
Bought five more Rockets, sold 1,
Franklin eBookman 911, for sale,
hiEbook, for sale
2 Sharp Mobilon HC-4500s running mobipocket, for sale,
2 Vadem Clio 1050s, runnning mobipocet, may be for sale,
and last but not least a Ebookwise 1150 that I bought Sunday night to replace the one I foolishly sold.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #27
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
5. In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlighting be THAT important?

Thanks to all who participated!

I really think its the cost of the new e-ink readers. That was the main deciding decision on my part to go with the ebook 1150. If they could get a decent e-ink machine under $200 then I would be willing to think about an upgrade.

Amy[/QUOTE]

For me, backlighting is what it's all about. Even a sub $200 e-ink reader won't do.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #28
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Not enough options for me!
While the poll options don't specifically address your situation, you are not atypical and somewhat parallel my own experience, namely:

Quote:
  • Ebookwise 1150, sold it like a dummy for a, - Got one
  • GEM-2150, sold it when i bought the, - Got two
  • Rocket eBook which I still have, - Got two of its successor, the REB 1100
  • Bought five more Rockets, sold 1,
  • Franklin eBookman 911, for sale, - Wanted one, but was scared by battery changing saga
  • hiEbook, for sale - Wanted one real bad, but then realized there was very little .kml content available
  • 2 Sharp Mobilon HC-4500s running mobipocket, for sale, - Tried the Sony Clie PDA's instead running mobipocket
  • 2 Vadem Clio 1050s, runnning mobipocet, may be for sale,
and last but not least a Ebookwise 1150 that I bought Sunday night to replace the one I foolishly sold. - Good choice!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When I first voted in this poll, I said EbookWise Only.....but now I have a new member in my ebook reader family. I recently bought an old Franklin Ebookman 911 on Ebay for $31.00. I love my Ebookwise, it will be my primary reader for a long time...however I thought that maybe having a smaller, lighter device might come in handy. And its got MobiReader so now I can download the secure Mobi format books on Fictionwise (It sort of irritated me that I couldn't get those) so now I have more flexibility. Yes I am aware of the drawbacks of the EBookman (bad capacitators, no lighting, etc, which is why it will never be a primary reader), but I have to admit that the size (of both screen and unit) and usability (syncing and transferring files) are just right. Its too bad that someone can't merge the durability, backlighting (don't start E-Inkers!) and ergonomics of the Ebookwise with the size and weight of the Ebookman. "Garth are you out there?"

Last edited by spear; 05-27-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: duplicate singature
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

wouldn't it be brilliant if we could build our own ideal readers, by choosing the individual components that suited us, the way you can build your own pc ? i would love that.