Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Touch battery issues - some concerns.

Thought I'd share some experiences with you in the hope that you can counsel me or offer some advice!!
I've had my Kobo Touch for about five months now and have been pretty much in love with it.
Recently however, a few little niggles have raised their heads and they may or may not be related.
Firstly, my battery seems to be losing it's charge in hours rather than days now and I am most concerned.
I usually charge the battery on a standard charger bought for purpose on eBay and have had no previous issues. Then the device will also charge briefly when I connect it to my laptop to load and synchronise etc, usually every other day.

I have wifi switched off - the ikon at top shows greyed out bars with x beside it.

I have page refresh at every 5 pages.

I read about an hour a day, at different intervals and usually put in sleep mode afterwards.

Basically I have tried every optimum setting as suggested in these forums (thanks.)

Result - higher than average battery drain!!

My books are from all over the place - Kobo Store, Google, previous ereaders. The book I am currently reading sometimes sticks - could this be relevant??

My other niggle is the hit and miss experience with synching but I have always put this down to my BT Infinity Wifi and its vagaries. I was in Vietnam recently, and was able to sych effortlessly using free hotel wifi connections for goodness sake! This I have learnt to live with but could it affect battery life in long run even though I keep wifi disabled?

Questions:

Could someone advise me if a factory reset might help? Maybe some corrupt epub files might be causing problems?

If I reload my books, should I use Calibre or drag and drop?

I have about 300 books on my device. Is this affecting battery? Is there an optimum amount in anyone's experience?

Could a reset help my wifi issues? My wife has a Kobo Touch bought at same time and has no problems, damn her impudence!! Me, I'm a bloke and like to play around with it a bit more.

Please please share your experiences with me and offer me help in my hour of need. Mmmm, Kobo Glo looks good!
Thanking you in advance...
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
My first guess would be that it's a corrupt EPUB file. I've known issues like this myself when using 'dubious' EPUBs.

An easy way to test it is to remove your library and just keep one book on there, if it still drains try a different ebook. If it still loses its charge over two different ebooks then I'd lean towards suspecting the device itself.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Feenix - I was afraid you might say that! Dubious indeed! I think I will take your advice and try removing some suspect epubs!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think what Feenix has suggested is a good starting point, but wanted to make a couple of other comments. Also, if it doesn't work, then try the reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Firstly, my battery seems to be losing it's charge in hours rather than days now and I am most concerned.
I usually charge the battery on a standard charger bought for purpose on eBay and have had no previous issues. Then the device will also charge briefly when I connect it to my laptop to load and synchronise etc, usually every other day.
The Touch uses a Li-Ion battery. These gradually lose capacity, but it should only lose about 20% after the first year.
Quote:

My other niggle is the hit and miss experience with synching but I have always put this down to my BT Infinity Wifi and its vagaries. I was in Vietnam recently, and was able to sych effortlessly using free hotel wifi connections for goodness sake! This I have learnt to live with but could it affect battery life in long run even though I keep wifi disabled?
I have been getting some problems on my home network but zero at work. Signal strength is about the same, but I am using a different router at home. The only other difference is that my home connection is less than 4Mbps vs the 50Mbps at work. I have the feeling that sometimes the connection to Kobo times out, and it decides the WiFi is at fault and askes to reconnect.

Quote:
If I reload my books, should I use Calibre or drag and drop?
I would suggest calibre, but some might say I was biased

Quote:
I have about 300 books on my device. Is this affecting battery? Is there an optimum amount in anyone's experience?
Well it will have an affect because every time you use the library it opens the database of books. And the more books, the longer any queries against the database will take and use more power. But I wouldn't think that 300 books would be enough to make noticeable difference.
Quote:
Could a reset help my wifi issues? My wife has a Kobo Touch bought at same time and has no problems, damn her impudence!! Me, I'm a bloke and like to play around with it a bit more.
My wife won't let me touch her laptop. For some reason she thinks I am more likely to break things. Of course, if something does go wrong, guess who's fault it is.
Quote:
Please please share your experiences with me and offer me help in my hour of need. Mmmm, Kobo Glo looks good!
Thanking you in advance...
Ahh, now we get to the real reason for the post. OK, how about this diagnosis:

Your Kobo Touch is kaput. It is obvious you will need to replace it by buying a nice new Kobo Glo.

Does that work for you?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Tintin
Enthusiast

Thank you also Davidfor. Me wanting a Glo? Whatever gave you that idea??!!
Not long to Christmas!
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Christmas is coming early this year?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Does anyone know how long the battery should last before needing recharge? I've only had KT for a few weeks but find it needs recharging every few hours. It's no big deal, but I just wondered.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I read 2-3 hours a day minimum and top up my KT every couple of weeks. It's never out of juice when I do it. If you can only go a few hours, Katel, perhaps you should think about returning it under the one year warranty for manufacturing defects.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Taming, what I better do then is let it run right out then see exactly what
charge I'm getting out of it. There will be no problem with returning it (Officeworks) but with a new device then do I have to re-register and so on? In all other ways it works well, and I love it.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can use the same Kobo account, but you will have to go through the setup process again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Thanks Taming, what I better do then is let it run right out then see exactly what
charge I'm getting out of it.
The Touch uses a Li-Ion battery, so it doesn't need to be conditioned. But, the "fuel gauge" can get out of sync and report the charge level incorrectly. A couple of full discharge/recharge cycles might fix this. If it still discharging in the time you are seeing, then it is faulty and you should take it back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
Katel
Evangelist

OK, thanks davidfor.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #13
Tintin
Enthusiast

Update. I deleted two files of "dubious" origin (both coincidentally by the same author.( When I was reading these books, the screen sometimes froze and did not respond to touch so something was seriously rotten in Denmark.
Since deletion, I have gone two days since previous charge, reading maybe a hundred pages a day, and the battery indicator has only gone down slightly.
Fingers crossed.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
TinTin, very interesting and good to know that wonky books might be the cause. I have 700 or 800 books in mine with only a bit of sluggishness when viewing the list of books and startup time.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Tintin
Enthusiast

To TonyToews - 700+ books?? I thought I was bad! It's the kid in the sweetshop scenario, I know I will never read them all unless I vecome a hermit but it's a nice feeling that you have them there!
that said, anyone like to say what the optimum number of books is for the device?