Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #2446
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Damn it, I've had another impulse buy.

It's not quite mid-month yet and I've bought seven books for myself already, with an eighth one pre-ordered. And to add insult to injury, I've read fewer books than I've bought this month.

I just hope the other half of the month will go better.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #2447
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Red face

Bless me @pdurrant for I have sinned...and I sinned big .

I was so good in January and spent less than $37 of my $40 book budget. But, after all that kerfuffle about Adobe Digital Editions 3, I went a little crazy (okay, a lot crazy) and it will now be about 4 months before I am back in balance
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #2448
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Bless me @pdurrant for I have sinned...and I sinned big .

I was so good in January and spent less than $37 of my $40 book budget. But, after all that kerfuffle about Adobe Digital Editions 3, I went a little crazy (okay, a lot crazy) and it will now be about 4 months before I am back in balance
Goodness me! I hope they were all at a good discount and authors you like!

My downfall, as you know, was a really good offer in January. I'm almost back in balance now, but with planned purchases for March, I won't actually be back in budget until April.

But no purchases yet this month!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #2449
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Congratulations on being so strong this month!

My outrageous purchases were all good bargains and have been on my wishlist for ages. They are the completion of a series I have longed for and as they were geo restricted I had to take a little holiday to secure them, cough.

I thought better to get them and de-infest while I still had the chance than kicking myself later over the missed opportunity.

If books suddenly become non-Alfable then it will be a while before I buy traditionally published titles no matter how much I want them.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #2450
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That seems a reasonble decision. You'll need to excercise great restraint over the next few months, though, as will I.
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #2451
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I spent another $40 or so yesterday on 6 or 7 books. *facepalm* It doesn't help that literally everything I read these days is part of a series.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #2452
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
It doesn't help that literally everything I read these days is part of a series.
It does seem that 'genre' fiction has moved from short stories in the 30s-60s through novels in the 70s-80s, to nothing being worth publishing unless it's a series.

Sometimes a single novel is enough.

Although I must admit I like a series, so long as each part of the series is also complete in itself.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #2453
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've just spent some money, but technically I'm not spending it until June/July. Lightspeed Magazine are running a kickstarter campaign for a special issue of their SF magazine consisting entirely of women authors and editor. One of the rewards included all their back issues, and a five year subscription, at a significant discount, and all multiformat DRM-free.

I've spent my fictionwise buywise refund on it. I'll be accounting for it as issues come in over the next five years, as I do for all my subscriptions.

But it is a very good deal.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #2454
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Delphi Classics had some promo codes again, so I've added a few classics:

Complete Works of Aeschylus.epub
Complete Works of Sophocles.epub
Complete Works of Euripides.epub
Complete Works of Charles Reade.epub
Complete Works of H. Rider Haggard.epub
Complete Works of James Fenimore Cooper.epub

All for the grand total of about €8. I don't know how far I'll get with the Greeks, but hey... at $1.99, and 30% off, that stuff's almost free.

Among others, I also have the Aristotle collection. (And obviously, Homer.)

Maybe I should get Plato as well, but to be honest, I I have a feeling I wouldn't like that kind of writing. It seems Plato, Aristophanes and Xenophon "rehash" Socrates in different ways, without not too much of their own input, where Aristotle puts forth many of his own idea's. (Or at least, that is what many people on the internet seem to think.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #2455
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe I should get Plato as well, but to be honest, I I have a feeling I wouldn't that kind of writing. It seems Plato, Aristophanes and Xenophon "rehash" Socrates in different ways, without not too much of their own input
As I understood it, Socrates didn't leave any written work, as he didn't beleive written knowledge was valid. So the only way we know any of his ideas is from the writings of his followers, notable Plato.

But I haven't read Plato's works myself, either.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #2456
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'm not much of a philosopher. The Greek works I got are mainly about the myths, legends and Gods, and now, the tragedies. The only one with regard to science and philosophy I have is Aristotle.

--------

LIKE.

Damnation. My keyboard needs to be replaced. It seems to be skipping entire words lately... Or maybe it's a Firefox problem.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #2457
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But it is a very good deal.
The lament of all of us in this thread. Having looked over the numbers again, if I don't buy any books except those already planned, I should be back inside my budget on 1st August, 2014.

This isn't going as well as I'd hoped. If a good enough bargain comes along, I just go for it. I am, at least, resisting individual purchases.

OTOH, getting the entire back catalogue (48 issues, 10 of which I already own) and a five-year subscription (60 issues) to a good SF/Fantasy magazine for $1.34 per issue (instead of the normal subscription price of $2.99 per issue) is a very good deal indeed.

I think I shall try to read each new issue as it comes out, along with one back issue each month. That way I'll eventually catch up with the back catalogue (in 2018 or so.), before my subscription runs out.

The back catalogue, when I get hold of it, will bring my TBR back up to the 800 mark. But not over! So from a TBR point of view, I'm doing OK. Granted, a great number of those taken off the TBR were short stories.

So many good books to read! What a great "problem" to have!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #2458
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OTOH, getting the entire back catalogue (48 issues, 10 of which I already own) and a five-year subscription (60 issues) to a good SF/Fantasy magazine for $1.34 per issue (instead of the normal subscription price of $2.99 per issue) is a very good deal indeed.
I've revisited this, as I found that you can change your kickstarter choice up until the closing time.

The $40 level gets me everything the $145 level got me, except for an extra four years of subscription. Since the normal yearly subscription is $36, that's not a great discount for those four years - only 27%.

I've decided that's not good enough. Which means I've switched to the $40 level, bringing my February spend under $40 again, and meaning that with anticipated purchases, I'll be back inside my budget two month earlier than anticipated, and even in May I'll only be $1.01 over!

Hooray!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #2459
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
This is the first year I've tracked my spending. It is more difficult than expected to stay within a $40 monthly budget. In January I spent $52, but may make it up this month (if I don't spend over $5 more.) Six of the books I've read in 2014 came from the public library or Amazon Prime's lending library. I already own almost 800 books on my TBR list. Oh well, I enjoy feeling rich in books. As hobbies (or addictions) go, this is not an especially expensive (or destructive) one.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #2460
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I already own almost 800 books on my TBR list. Oh well, I enjoy feeling rich in books. As hobbies (or addictions) go, this is not an especially expensive (or destructive) one.
That's pretty much how I see it. I'm happily making progress in chopping down the Ent graveyard; I'm on book seven of my 15-physical-book goal now, plus I've finished two new graphic novels and may plow through a third over the weekend. After I finish those 15, I think I'll set my sights on another stack that's got some Niven in it...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote