Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #31
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Netbook is only a little heavier....
1.5 lbs vs at least 3 lbs, more for the charger, extra batteries etc

Plus, I find 1.5 lbs to already push the limits of a comfortable device to hand-hold, netbooks don't really cut it in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady
why do I need a touch screen when I have a full keyboard
http://www.brushesapp.com/
http://www.popcap.com/extras/pvz/

Or, to put it another way: Why do I need a keyboard when I have a touchscreen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady
Security? I haven't had any problems.
Running Windows by any chance? You will. Plus you need antivirus, updates, the whole 9.

Of course much of this is preferences, and sure a netbook can do certain things a tablet cannot -- but nowhere near as much as you might assume. However, that does not change the fact that simply because a tablet does not appeal to you specifically is not evidence that it has no appeal or utility whatsoever.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
For $100 more than the regular wifi Nook, the Nook Color, for those wanting colour, it seems like a very decent upgrade.

What I don't understand is what sets it apart from the $600 Samsung Galaxy Tab which is also 7" touch screen running Android. What's the trade-off for the $351 savings? A 3G radio circuit can't add that much. Just locking out full Android access isn't enough to explain the savings. Anyone know?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Of course much of this is preferences, and sure a netbook can do certain things a tablet cannot -- but nowhere near as much as you might assume. However, that does not change the fact that simply because a tablet does not appeal to you specifically is not evidence that it has no appeal or utility whatsoever.
But the original point was about the appeal of Nook Color. To me, there's nothing to make the iPad appealing enough to replace my netbook. Especially considering the price of the iPad vs. the price of a decent netbook.

But I AM interested in the Nook Color, largely because of the portability and the memory card slot, neither of which is a feature of the iPad (even though the iPad is light, it's large). I could own the Nook AND the netbook for not much more than the price of the iPad.

I do see the appeal of this Nook and think it will find a market.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are at Best Buy and there are 4 similarly priced tablets and three of them are more open then the Nook Color, what do you buy?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #35
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you are at Best Buy and there are 4 similarly priced tablets and three of them are more open then the Nook Color, what do you buy?
The answer is it depends on the features:
1) Screen Display
2) Processor
3) UI
4) Size and Weight
5) Others

Both iPad and kindle has more "locked format" but that doesn't stop people who like them from buying them and if required, jail breaking them to fit their purpose so it really depends. "Open" is only relative. As of now, I am not aware that there are 4 similarly priced tablets in Best Buy that directly competes with NC and have the same features.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #36
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
What's the trade-off for the $351 savings?
Less powerful processor.
Can not access Android market place.
Two cameras less.
No flash support in browser.
Basic video support (mp4 only).
No GPS
No 3G
No Bluetooth

But Nook Color probably has better battery life and maybe a better screen (same resolution). That's why Nook Color is marketed as a reader.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Nook Color, because those other tablets are probably low end devices using low end components, like the Velocity Cruz and Pandigital Novel.

Bottom line - compare the specs and performance.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #38
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
But Nook Color probably has better battery life and maybe a better screen (same resolution). That's why Nook Color is marketed as a reader.
Better screen is likely, better battery life no. It's currently listed as 8 hours with wifi on, which is about the same as any other tablet or smartphone.

Last edited by Kali Yuga; 10-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
No flash support in browser.
Flash support will come next year with the promised upgrade to Android 2.2
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Well, I have no interest in it as a reader (yes, I do find reading on an LCD screen hard on my eyes. After spending all day on the computer at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and read on one) - but the site says you can load and edit MS Office docs on it, so I'm going hmmmmmmmm.

Might come in handy for my next book. I had bought a Sony 600 for the purpose of editing, but found that functionality lacking. On something faster and more responsive, and at that price point, I'm finding the Nook Color rather intriguing.

But it won't make me give up my 505, I'm sure.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #41
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Yeah, all 6 of 'em. What a powerful group.
Their numbers seem to be dwindling...

Quote:
Like it or not, eInk devices have some advantages, such as minimal power consumption, better use in daylight, low weight, and a much more paper-like look.
I don't remember saying eink didn't have other advantages. I am aware of the benefits eink can provide, but next to no backlight, single function, and often slow page turns - I prefer LCD. Its obviously a market, and a big one at that.

Quote:
IMO the key question is if the Nook Color will significantly differentiate itself from any forthcoming 7" tablets that will run the Nook software and a half dozen other ebook and comic apps.
That is a key question. The problem is, you aren't asking the right question. Is this a tablet at all? It has a closed version of Android on it and some extra applications, but for the most part this device is aimed squarely at providing a HIGH quality reading experience on LCD. Books, magazines, comics, etc. In comparison, the Pandigital Novel (which I have) and the Cruz tablet, aimed at the same market, are not as good because they suffer performance issues. Both have resistive screens, while Nook Color has a VERY nice capacitive screen which completely blows most cheap tablets out of the water. Is the Nook Color a viable alternative for avid readers who want LCD and possibly a few other minor functions, want a high quality device that actually performs well, and isn't going to cost them $500+ and/or a cell phone plan? It looks like it to me.

Quote:
There's also the question of whether they can, in fact, get this out in decent numbers by the ship date. I don't think it will look good if they have another shortage like they did last year, execution is critical this time around.
Now that is a good question, and the only one here that concerns me. Mostly because I ordered mine about 45 minutes after they announced it.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-27-2010 at 08:08 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #42
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
More and more people are coming out of the marketing ploy of LCD being bad for the eyes, which is a total fallacy heaped upon us by loyal eink users.
Was it actually asserted that LCD was harmful for the eyes? The only real argument that I ever heard was that backlit LCD caused a substantial amount of readers to experience eye strain and fatigue. (This, by the way, is not a total fallacy, as I cannot read on a monitor, iPod or iPad without causing a blinding headache.)
If the new Nook takes off, in either case, it's nothing but good for the ereading community at large. The more people that want to buy ebooks means more dedicated devices and more published ebooks. Looking at it this way, (although I am one of the 6), I have to say "Let it glow, let it glow, let it glow".
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Bleh. I'm already annoyed by the battery life of the current Nook. . .
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #44
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Well, I have no interest in it as a reader (yes, I do find reading on an LCD screen hard on my eyes. After spending all day on the computer at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and read on one) - but the site says you can load and edit MS Office docs on it, so I'm going hmmmmmmmm.
There was another post mentioning editing docs on it, but I don't see anything about it on the BN site. Do you remember where you saw this? Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #45
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
When I have eyestrain from LCD screen, my eyes HURT. Damage to the eyes or not, I hate the pain of eyestrain.

And how does anyone here KNOW that the screen quality is as good as an ipad but smaller? Have you used this new device?

B&N should have made some improvements to the Nook with e-ink. Sure, a software update is coming, but why not have a pearl e-ink screen in a much lighter device? Nook needs more font sizes and better page turn buttons.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor