Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
phramenma
phramenma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Downgrading jailbroken PW2

Since I'd like to use the "Collection Manager" I need to downgrade my jailbroken PW2.
Is there anyone out there that can help me regarding this?
I have already tried to do the "old update" trick, but the update just failed (ERROR: 4).
So I guess I have to go back to 5.4.0, am I right?
phramenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
phramenma
phramenma began at the beginning.

Is there anyone out there, who might help me with downgrading my PW2 to 5.4.0?
i have already downloaded the needed files, but since I don't like something stupid to happen a little advice would be nice.
phramenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Are you sure that version 5.4.0 is for the Paperwhite Gen-2?

Note: You can not run PW1 firmware on a PW2 (different SoC).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
this is the PW2! Sorry about that.

On the thread I referred you to before, ask if someone can create a PW2 version of the oldupdate package, since it was for the PW1! It's entirely possible it needs to be rebuilt for the PW2.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-08-2014 at 10:28 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And 5.4.0 is the first PW2 firmware version. Which was the problem, since Amazon never released an update.bin for it. It will work, but like I said, non-trivial task.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And 5.4.0 is the first PW2 firmware version. Which was the problem, since Amazon never released an update.bin for it. It will work, but like I said, non-trivial task.
Start by reading the README.txt file at this link:
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

Those recovery images are 5.4.0 for the PW2.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I have read the readme for the link above and for the Touch version it linked to and I'm afraid I am no closer to understanding how to downgrade a PW2. Could someone explain the steps? I'm not new to this sort of thing, but I admit this particular case is over my head.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
la_tristesse
la_tristesse began at the beginning.

I'm also interested in a tutorial on how to downgrade the Kindle PW2 to 5.4.0.
la_tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can't the easy way, given than Amazon never released an OTA update for that one, since it was the initial FW of the PW2.

You can do it the 'hard' way, by manually following the instructions given in the link knc1 mentioned earlier.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote