Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Unhappy Help! Problem with the USB Network hack!

I need help. I have a Kindle 3 (B006). I installed the USB Network hack for my Kindle 3 today. Everything installed perfectly and I turned on "~usbNetwork" in debug mode. I connected my Kindle to my computer, but it still showed up as an external drive. I looked through the "usbnet" folder that the hack created. I went into the "src" sub-folder and found a file called "config" or something. I opened it with a program called "Notepad++" and found that there was a message in the "config" file. It said to modify the variables to fit my computer and device's configuration. There were two variables that it allowed me to change (both of them were currently "false"). I changed to top one to "true", as my Kindle has Wi-Fi and it said to change that variable only if my Kindle had Wi-Fi. I ejected and unplugged my Kindle and restarted it. I turned on "~usbNetwork" again and connected it to my computer. The computer detected it as an ethernet device and asked me to insall the software. Obviously, there was no disk with any software to install. I gave up and decided to un-install the hack. I used "~usbNetwork" again to turn the function off, and plugged my Kindle back into my computer. My Kindle's screen didn't show the picture of the USB plug, and "autoplay" didn't open. I checked my computer and it said a device was found (it was "D:"). I clicked on it so I could put in the un-installer package to remove the hack from my Kindle but a message popped up on my computer that said "Please insert device into drive D:" even though my Kindle was plugged in. My computer won't recognize the Kindle so I can't uninstall the hack! Does anyone know how to remove the hack (or at least the "usbnet" folder that it created) with my Kindle's GUI or force my computer to connect to my Kindle? Here are the hacks I have on my Kindle:

-The Screensaver hack
-The confusing USB Network hack

I NEED HELP!!!
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
It sounds like, for whatever reason, it is still in ~usbNetwork mode. Have you tried running ;debugOn/~usbNetwork again? If that doesn't work, have you tried restarting the Kindle? Unless you renamed the DISABLED_auto file in the usbnet directory, it should come up normally (i.e., as USB mass storage, not as a network device) after being restarted.

Quote:
I turned on "~usbNetwork" again and connected it to my computer. The computer detected it as an ethernet device and asked me to insall the software. Obviously, there was no disk with any software to install.
In the developers' corner there is some discussion of special network drivers you need to install (available on the internet) for the usbnetwork interface to work correctly in Windows. This is probably what this message referred to. You'll have to search for the details in the other forum; I don't have a Windows computer so I can't help you there.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

I've already tried restarting my Kindle and using "~usbNetwork" again.

I did rename "DISABLED_auto" to "auto". Is there a way to bring it back to "DISABLED_auto" without using a computer? I just can't connect my Kindle to my computer to rename the darn file!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
I think the only simple way to rename that file is to get the usbNetwork hack working so that you can SSH in and rename it.

I found the link. The driver you need is called the Windows Mobile Device Center (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=228).

Here is another possible way to rename the file back. WARNING: I'm not responsible if it doesn't work/goes wrong!

1. with debug mode on, type ~help in the search box -- you should see a list of the valid commands starting with ~. There should be one called ~exec.

2. In the search box, type:
Quote:
~exec mv /mnt/us/usbnet/auto /mnt/us/usbnet/DISABLED_auto
3. Restart the Kindle (through the menu). This time it should start in normal USB mode, not usbNetwork mode.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Stonecold
Connoisseur

I tried that. I used the ~exec function just as you said. The screen flashed and I restarted my Kindle. When it booted up, I plugged it into my computer but my computer made a triple beep sound (it does that if Kindle's in network mode). Is there another way to rename "auto" either using the ~exec command or otherwise? Is there a command that I can use with ~exec that will rename "auto" to "DISABLED_auto"? I desperately need help to get my Kindle connected to my computer.

I've heard the official (non-beta) firmware version 3.0.2 is out. If I wait until it's downloaded to my Kindle automatically, would pressing "Update my Kindle" in settings cause firmware 3.0.2 to override or remove the USB Network hack or would the new firmware be prevented from installing?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Side note: Argh. My eyes. Some spaces in that first post, please.

First: You'll notice that there's a big fat warning in the config file that says: Please do not edit me while usbnet is on... . Which explains why it's confused as to what to do when you use the usbNetwork command. But that still shouldn't break the switch back to usbms, unless notepad++ did something horribly wrong to the file... (or you made the mistake of switching the SSHD only mode to true while usbnet was enabled).

Just restart your Kindle, provided you didn't enable the auto feature, everything should be fine. (ie. in usbms mode). (Also, you'll need the latest version of the hack for the auto feature not to mess up the switch back to usbms anyway).

EDIT: Which you did... So, like enn said, use a proper OS, or install whatever windows needs to handle this ethernet over usb device. (Can't help you there, don't use Windows). But, since you enabled the WIFI mode, the SSHD will ask for a passwd. So, unless you already setup pubkey auth, or know the root password, you're kinda screwed on the ssh front. Or, if you didn't completely mess up the config file, try to telnet over usb.

As for the exec private command, it's a fluke when your Kindle actually still has the testing scripts needed for that to work, so, not surprising that it doesn't do a thing .

And, no, an official update won't touch anything pertaining to the hacks. The only thing you could do that would disable (not uninstall!) the hack is a reset to factory defaults.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2010 at 11:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Stonecold
Connoisseur

I don't care about getting the USB Network hack to work. All I care about is getting it OFF my Kindle or at least letting my Kindle connect to my computer! I just need help renaming "auto" to "DISABLED_auto" and letting my computer detect my Kindle as a mass storage device.

I didn't notice the warning message...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cf. my last edit, hope that the telnetd is still up, or do a reset to factory defaults.

It won't uninstall the hack, but it will disable it.

As for the warnings, they're here, right at the top of the file...

Code:
# Take note that we're essentially a shell script, se we absolutely *MUST* use UNIX line endings!

# Tweak these to match your setup (Do NOT modify while usb over ethernet is enabled!)

[...]

# Allow SSH over WiFi
# NOTE: If you set this to true, the SSHD *WILL* check your passwords!
# Make sure you know your root password, or auth via shared keys!
# Leave it to false on non-WiFi devices

[...]

# Don't switch to Ethernet over USB, and only launch SSHD
# NOTE: Probably only useful with WiFi devices, so leave to false on non-WiFi devices

That, and also that, in the thread itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also note that, while there is a zipfile for the usbnetwok hack attached here, I won't provide any support for it, and I strongly discourage anyone not well versed in bare-bone Linux CLI system administration to even try it. It's far too easy to brick your device/mess up the software with that thing.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
Stonecold
Connoisseur

I don't want to reset to factory defaults! I just need my Kindle to connect to my computer for just long enough for me to back it up. I have too many personal documents to lose. I just need some way to save my Kindle!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then SSH over wifi via a shared key setup. (Or over usb, after installing the requisite drivers). Or hope that the telnetd is up, and try to telnet over usb (but you'll still need the drivers).

EDIT: Er, wait, if you haven't already setup your pubkeys for a shared keys auth, you can't even use that, since you don't have access to the userstore, you can't put your pubkeys on the device. So, yeah, if you don't know your root password, forget ssh, and hope the config file wasn't too mangled and telnetd is up, or do a factory reset.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Sorry, but what's SSH and how do I find my root password (I'm kinda new at this)? And what's Telnet, pubkey, and usbms?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
Sorry, but what's SSH and how do I find my root password (I'm kinda new at this)? And what's Telnet, pubkey, and usbms?
Uhhh. Why do you want to get access to the Kindle internals?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

/me is going to sleep, in order to avoid reenacting his avatar...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Read my first post. I need to get into my Kindle's internals so that I can fix my problem. And once again, I NEED HELP!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
or do a reset to factory defaults.
----^

Tags
hacks, kindle 3, problem, usb network