Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
What I'd tell my library if they asked. To make waiting lists move quicker:
1) When you get an email that the book you are waiting for is available, you have 4 days to fetch it. THEN you have up to 3 weeks checkout. I'd suggest either shortening the fetch period to 48 hours (all you have to do is acknowledge the email, essentially; you can download it any time till your lending period expires) or making the max lend time 21 days LESS the amount of time it took you to respond.
2) Add obvious information how to return ADE books. It took me a long time to find that!
3) You can have up to 10 digital titles checked out. It seems like that is a lot. Maybe 5 would be sufficient.
4) If a book becomes available to you, but you know you won't be able to read it in the lending period, instead of downloading it right now, have the option of being placed BACK in the waiting list, at a position of your choice (2nd or 4th, for example)

Also, audio books and ePubs are really quite different. Just because the library has a copy of one does not mean that all users interested in that book are covered.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #32
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I appreciate all of the input I've gotten here. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to attend, but at the very least I'm going to compile a list of suggestions based on all of these comments and send them to her in an e-mail, and hopefully she will share them with the rest of the staff. Thank you!
Do you know if your library plans to be part of a larger library consortium?

My local library is part of a group of 30-40 libraries in the Chicago suburbs. Each library contributes to a fund that is used to purchase ebooks that are accessible by residents of each town.

The more towns that participate in this type of group results in more money pooled to purchase ebooks. These consortiums will have a greater selection to choose from.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #33
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
What I'd tell my library if they asked. To make waiting lists move quicker:
1) When you get an email that the book you are waiting for is available, you have 4 days to fetch it. THEN you have up to 3 weeks checkout. I'd suggest either shortening the fetch period to 48 hours (all you have to do is acknowledge the email, essentially; you can download it any time till your lending period expires) or making the max lend time 21 days LESS the amount of time it took you to respond.
2) Add obvious information how to return ADE books. It took me a long time to find that!
3) You can have up to 10 digital titles checked out. It seems like that is a lot. Maybe 5 would be sufficient.
4) If a book becomes available to you, but you know you won't be able to read it in the lending period, instead of downloading it right now, have the option of being placed BACK in the waiting list, at a position of your choice (2nd or 4th, for example)

Also, audio books and ePubs are really quite different. Just because the library has a copy of one does not mean that all users interested in that book are covered.
3) Our library is 25(!) Overdrive items (audio + ebook) at a time

4) Our library has that for their own items' reserve queue - you specify a future date (such as after returning from a trip), and go back in the queue based upon the date of your original request.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the only eBooks with DRM that the Kindle can access are from Amazon. This is an issue that would need to be taken up with Amazon, not the library staff.
Bingo. Take it up with Amazon. All it takes is a simple firmware upgrade and POOF! Kindles can read epub.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #35
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
Bingo. Take it up with Amazon. All it takes is a simple firmware upgrade and POOF! Kindles can read epub.
Are you saying such an upgrade already exists - or do you mean that Amazon could do so ... if they chose to? ("All it would take" rather than "All it takes ...")
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #36
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon has 70% of the e-book market, possibly more. Bezos said the vast majority of Kindle book purchases have been for Kindles and not Kindle apps, I am guessing they can track what devices books are downloaded on. This leads me to believe that the majority of Americans have Kindles. It could be faulty logic, it is a Friday after all.
70% of ebook market is the not the same as 70% of the e-book-reader-device market. And yes, saying that a majority of books are downloaded to Kindle devices doesn't mean that more Americans own them, it just means that the people who have dedicated reading devices are more likely to purchase books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Are you saying such an upgrade already exists - or do you mean that Amazon could do so ... if they chose to? ("All it would take" rather than "All it takes ...")
My understanding of it is that it's something they could do with a firmware update. I highly anticipate that they will someday open the devices up to epub, but it could be a few years yet. And I'm not sure what the legalities are around having two types of DRM on a device...? Solution: do away with DRM!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #37
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Why would Amazon rejigger their device to allow people to read the stuff they're trying to sell them for free unless they were losing market share because of the restriction (which just does not seem to be the case)?

Heck, my perfect reader might be a K3 that comes without Wifi or 3g for 100 bucks, but they'd probably charge more for it instead of less, since you would be less likely to buy books on impulse.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #38
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Congratulations and remember to tell us how it went.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #39
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
That doesn't mean they could then automatically read ADE epub, though. That would have to be licensed from Adobe. And I don't see why Amazon would want to add capability that would cost money, decrease its book sales, and probably increase support calls.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #40
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
All it would take, if Amazon chose to do so. Their business model at the moment is not to support epub, perhaps because they want people to buy books from Amazon and not get them for free from the library. That's their strategy; it sent me to the nook because I don't buy many books, but I do use the library.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #41
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
And I'm not sure what the legalities are around having two types of DRM on a device...? Solution: do away with DRM!
Ask Amazon They're who forbid to include Mobipocket DRM with another DRM
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #42
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a good opportunity, Betty.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote