Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone used the CherryPal Africa?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried out the $100 "small, slow, sufficient" CherryPal Africa netbook. (Here's the TeleRead post and comments thread on it.) I was considering using some Christmas money to order one for use as an email, web, e-reading, and writing device.

Would I want to run the version of Windows that comes with it, or go with Green Maraschino Linux instead? I'm told that since it has a MIPS processor, only apps specifically compiled for it will work with it, so it would seem like I'd want to run Linux so I could at least compile apps myself.

Is it worth getting?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Are you sure that it has a MIPS CPU? I was under the impression that later versions of WinCE only runs on ARM processors.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure. That's just what someone said in the comments to the TeleRead post.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

I did a little further research on the device, and wrote this article.

Apparently the Africa might have a MIPS, ARM, or X86 processor, depending on what parts they have on hand that day. They buy odd lots of parts and assemble netbooks out of them, guaranteeing a minimum level of performance but possibly giving you more.

Kind of like people who build their own beige boxes, except in this case it's a netbook and someone else is doing it for you. Interesting.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I did a little further research on the device, and wrote this article.

Apparently the Africa might have a MIPS, ARM, or X86 processor, depending on what parts they have on hand that day. They buy odd lots of parts and assemble netbooks out of them, guaranteeing a minimum level of performance but possibly giving you more.

Kind of like people who build their own beige boxes, except in this case it's a netbook and someone else is doing it for you. Interesting.
That's so crazy it just might work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert