Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Feeds Problems in 700

Hi Kovid. I know you're waiting for your new 700, I wanted to share my observations from first few days.

I downloaded few feeds into 700 in ePub format, results were not good. Reader crashes on USA Today, WSJ, BusinessWeek. There was a new recipe in this forum for SFGate, a small file, reader crashed again. NYTimes works just fine.

All these feeds work fine on 505 in ePub format.
I recreated all in lrf, loaded through Sony software, then it was fine.

I thought 700 had more memory and more powerful processor, didn't expect this.

Another interesting thing: USA Today (ePub) in 505 doesn't show correctly. For each article first page has the header only (Next, ... Previous), second page shows the article, there seem to be no page breaks, third page doesn't continue the text and has the footer only (Section ...). Once or twice 700 was able to open the same file, articles were formatted correctly, but then it crashed after few pages.

I hope 700 support is coming soon.
Thanks, David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh, I was hoping the epub renderer on the 700 would be a little more stable, but apparently not. Do the epub files crash when you click on links or just randomly?

EDIT: Do they work in LRF format if loaded directly (i.e. not through the sony software?)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-16-2008 at 01:17 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I loaded 4 feeds to 700 directly:
The Moscow Times, a small file, 250 pages - opened quickly, links worked, it took 10-15 seconds to change text size from S to L, another 10-15% for any other font size increase. I understood formatting was done during each increase, not all together. Second time going through the same increase was fast.

BusinessWeek and NYTimes - it took a minute to open, tried 10-15 random links, all worked. Trying to change the font size didn't work, had to reset after 5 minutes.

WSJ, large file, 9Mb, 2200 pages - didn't open, after 5 minutes had to reset.

All these files worked fine if loaded through Sony software.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote