Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #481
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
@NewToKindle: In that case, your VNC server doesn't send it. It's most probably a configurable feature of the server. kvncviewer does not support displaying an own mouse cursor at the moment. And I don't see much sense in having it do so, as that feature is mostly for devices that already have a mouse cursor on their own - which the Kindle hasn't, of course.

@MoyoWa: Well, it might be a funny reaction to some parameters - and thus a bug in kvncviewer. That's why I'd like a "second opinion" from another VNC viewer.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #482
Virking
Virking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX
Hello,

I'm at the last step of the instructions found here:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2595...c_display.html

I'm having a similar issue to the one NewToKindle mentioned above. I get an error message:

# com.lab126.powerd failed to set value for property preventScreenSaver (0x3)
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 7: ./kindlevncviewer: Permission denied
com.lab126.powerd failed to set value for property preventScreenSaver (0x3)

I have tried a few things based on the advice you gave earlier but I'm not competent with things this advanced. Could you please give me any more details about what I can do to fix this?
Virking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #483
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Errrm - NewToKindle described the problem as being that the mouse cursor isn't shown. The actual error in your case is
Code:
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 7: ./kindlevncviewer: Permission denied
... and I have a hard time to figure out what the problem could be here. Are you sure that the file "kindlevncviewer" actually exists within the same folder that kvncviewer.sh file is in? When in doubt, reinstall KindleVNCviewer by copying over the whole kindlevncviewer folder again. Make extra sure to use the USB device eject function so that all files are written properly.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #484
Virking
Virking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it isVirking knows what time it is

Ok, I just copied over the kvncviewer folder again and that fixed it I thought I had tried that already. Maybe using the eject function made the difference. Anyway, thanks very much.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #485
zxcvbs
zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k3
Hi is there any way to get better contrast using vnc. I tought about using it with raspberry pi, but the lack of contrast is killing me.
zxcvbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #486
hawhill
Wizard

I have doubts that this sofftware is able to kill you. You're probably using it very, very wrong.

--

That joke done, what exactly do you mean? Why don't you use high-contrast themes on the desktop you're forwarding via VNC? Of course, you can hack the viewer to apply math to each pixel, thus apply a contrast function. It's easy when you know how to code. I probably won't implement it, though, but I happily take patches.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #487
zxcvbs
zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi thanks, i will try this http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=227187
But i think, i complain from a hardware limitiation. It would be great that eink displays get improved for use to work as a display.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #488
Virking

Resolution / Kindle display too small

My kindle only displays around 2/3 of my computer monitor. Did anyone find a work around for this issue? I searched this forum for an answer but didn't find one other than changing the PC's resolution to 800*600. If there was another solution, I apologize as I either missed it or didn't understand it.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 AM   #489
hawhill
Wizard

LibVNCclient - which kvncviewer uses - provides the "-scaling" command line argument. It only supports integers as parameter and will scale down according to that. So the result might be too small in your case.

Fractional scaling would have to be implemented. I don't see any reason to do so - what's wrong with setting the PC's resolution? A scaled image will be very, very ugly on the Kindle anyway...
Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #490
Virking

It's really disappointing to have to reduce the resolution that much. But actually, when I try setting the resolution to 800*600, the kindle display shrinks to 1/4 of the space available on the kindle. It just uses the top left corner. Why is this happening?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #491
hawhill
Wizard

It's not clear to me what you are doing based on your description.

Are you combining the scaling and the resolution setting? Of course, when the PC is set to 800x600, the Kindle should display it full-screen. Well, if it is a 800x600 Kindle. I'm saying this because your profile says you own a Kindle DX, which is *not* 800x600.

Why is changing the resolution on the PC such a problem? What is the use-case here? Are you using both the PC monitor and the Kindle at the same time?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #492
zxcvbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virking View Post
It's really disappointing to have to reduce the resolution that much. But actually, when I try setting the resolution to 800*600, the kindle display shrinks to 1/4 of the space available on the kindle. It just uses the top left corner. Why is this happening?
Are you using linux?
You could also run the X on a virtual X11 server, using xvfb. Then connect both from your main x11 session and the kindle on the same virtual desktop through vnc, and use there a native resolution more friendly to kindle.
Search something like xvfb, vnc.
http://gpio.kaltpost.de/?page_id=84
Old 11-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #493
Virking

At the moment, I use both the kindle and the PC monitor at the same time. Potentially, though, I would just use the kindle, if I can get it to display the whole screen and if I can get it to show the mouse pointer. In that case, I guess turning the resolution down while I use the kindle would be fine. But I must have messed with some settings to make everything bigger because at low resolutions so little appears on my monitor that I can't even see the apply button to change the resolution back. I'll have to figure out what I've done and reverse it.

Other than that, I haven't switched on the scaling feature, I'm just turning down my resolution. The lower I set it, the less space it uses on the kindle, so everything is smaller and it displays even less of what is on my monitor.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:06 AM   #494
hawhill
Wizard

Well, I just don't seem to understand your description of the problem very well.

#1: The mouse pointer. You're not seeing it at all? Because on e-ink, it will always be a bit flimsy. Also, there are VNC servers that do not forward the mouse pointer, errorneously assuming that the client will show its own.

#2: The resolution setting. I don't know what you mean with "displays even less of what is on my monitor". At least not in conjunction with "The lower I set it, the less space it uses on the kindle". At some point, at least at 800x600, everything on your monitor should be visible on your Kindle. And you did still not tell if it's the KDX you are using. Is it? Because if so, the resolution you need is 1200x824. That will be a bit hard to find in a list of standard VGA resolutions. It depends a lot on your graphics driver.

By the way: There are VNC servers, too, that can do scaling.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #495
Virking

Is it ok to post a couple of images? Maybe that would help.

No, I don't see the mouse pointer at all. And yes, I'm using a Kindle DX. Sorry for not making that clear earlier.

I've been getting an error that I didn't notice before, when I enter the command: [root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:1 &

The error is:

lua config error: cannot open config.lua: No such file or directory02/01/1970 01

Could this have anything to do with the problems I'm experiencing?

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc