Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #646
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Lenny Henry is the narrator? That almost means I have to read them. I still enjoy the occasional re-run of his show Chef!.
LMAO...I was just thinking the exact same thing! Love chef
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #647
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Thanks to everyone who commented on Lenny Henry. I think Anansi Boys will be the next title I'll buy from Downpour before my credits start piling up.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #648
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished listening to Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I was hoping to like it better the second time around, but in vain. Meh. For me, it just doesn't have the same spark as the first two books in the Hunger Games trilogy. I think that in future, I'll reread the first two happily but will leave this one out.

Spoiler:
What I disliked most about it was the death of Prim. The first book was all about saving her life when Katniss took her place in the games, so killing her off just didn't sit well with me.

What I did like and forgot about was Katniss shooting president Coin in the end. I just disliked the fact that District 13 had this kind of 1984 feel and its totalitarian regime. But that's just me. And after all, I liked the fact that Katniss and Peeta got together in the end - I had completely forgotten about that, too.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #649
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented on Lenny Henry. I think Anansi Boys will be the next title I'll buy from Downpour before my credits start piling up.
I just went and picked it up at my library last night...now to finish one of the two audiobooks I'm listening to right now lol
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #650
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I finished Cold Days last night narrated by James Marsters. It took me some time to get used to his narration but I warmed up to him. I was afraid that I won't enjoy it as much as reading but it was equally fun. Now Listening to Harry Potter and Goblet of fire by Stephen Fry and really enjoying it.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #651
Marrella
Cambrian crab

After finally finishing Mockingjay the other day, I started The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I have already read it when it came out last year and bought the audiobook because I liked it so much. It is narrated by Tom Hollander who does a very fine job.

I am also listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, narrated by Stephen Fry (for the umpteenth time), as well as trying out the Whispersync for Voice feature with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. I am trying to listen and read in turns, which works quite well. The book is read by the author herself who is a competent reader though not a really great one.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #652
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
In general, I wish writers would focus on their writing, and leave the narrating to the professionals. Though there are a few exceptions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #653
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
In general, I wish writers would focus on their writing, and leave the narrating to the professionals. Though there are a few exceptions.
I agree. With the exception (so far) of Stephen Fry and Neil Gaiman. Both are terrific narrators as well as writers.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #654
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, and Stefan Rudnicki. Who both writes SF and reads it. Though actually, I haven't read any of his SF, but I've very much enjoyed his readings of other author's SF.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #655
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Stefan Rudnicki also writes SF? Now I am intrigued, I didn't know that at all. (Have to look it up.) But I definitely like his voice!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #656
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Being a voice talent and being a writer are two different skill sets. I can think of a few writers who do a good job reading their own books. Simon Winchester is a good example.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #657
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I have never had a chance to listen anything by Neil Gaiman. I have read two of his books though. Any recommendations? I have read American Gods and Neverwhere.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #658
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Douglas Adams does an outstanding job of reading his books: "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and the Dirk Gently duo.

Those are the only audio books I've ever listened to more than once. Mostly the thought of listening to an audio book again leaves me totally cold.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #659
Marrella
Cambrian crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I have never had a chance to listen anything by Neil Gaiman. I have read two of his books though. Any recommendations? I have read American Gods and Neverwhere.
I would recommend Stardust then. Or one of his short story collections. Personally, I think he is best at a shorter length, even though I like his novels, too.

The Graveyard Book and Coraline are very good too, but they are YA, so maybe not to everybody's taste.

Last edited by Marrella; 09-17-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #660
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Decided to take a break from Weber and am listening to Stephen Fry's performance of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations