Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #661
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
@ixtab

1. In another tread someone was asking about customizing the predefinite font sizes (those available via the Aa button). Could this be implemented via JBPatch? This could be definitely a nice hack!

2. Could you please give a look with your divine wisdom at this thread? It's about Eureka's find a few comments before.

Last edited by pirl8; 09-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #662
Tcdasa
Tcdasa began at the beginning.

Device: KT
First of all I'd like to thank ixtab for a great job!!!

But I have also a small problem with covers.

I've KT:
- OS 5.1.2;
- jailbreak 1.2.N;
- kindlet jailbreak -20120509;
- Collections Manager 1.3.3;
- jbpatch 2.3.1.

To create mobi files with covers I'm using Calibre (ver. 0.8.68) with enable sharing via Facebook option (without also). The files I'm sending through Calibre, but any covers are displayed.

I would be grateful for any help.

PS Is there any option to see covers in PDF files also?
Tcdasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #663
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post

1. In another tread someone was asking about customizing the predefinite font sizes (those available via the Aa button). Could this be implemented via JBPatch? This could be definitely a nice hack!

2. Could you please give a look with your divine wisdom at this thread? It's about Eureka's find a few comments before.
@1: Yes, that would be easily doable - in fact, it's pretty much trivial. The most complicated part of it is probably the configuration interface

@2: Sorry, but I consider that to be out of scope for JBPatch, because it involves messing around with files on the device's root partition. But anyway, it is easy enough to activate for those who are interested, no patch required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcdasa View Post
To create mobi files with covers I'm using Calibre (ver. 0.8.68) with enable sharing via Facebook option (without also). The files I'm sending through Calibre, but any covers are displayed.

I would be grateful for any help.
Hmm... I'm afraid that I don't know what is going on there. Do you see the covers for books downloaded from Amazon? Do you see the "cover" for JBPatch? If so, then you're probably doing something wrong (but I don't know what). Otherwise, please check the log files (the JBPatch log, and possibly the system log) and report back if you find anything unusual.

Quote:
PS Is there any option to see covers in PDF files also?
No. Now that was easy

Last edited by ixtab; 09-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #664
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Upcoming: dictionaries patch

Just FYI, I'm working on a patch to make the dictionaries more usable. The idea is that all relevant dictionaries can be accessed when looking up a word, instead of only one (see the attached screenshots).

The patch is pretty much finished, and veezh is currently testing it. I expect it to be released in a few days from now. (Edit: I'm too impatient... it has been released just 2 hours after this post )

As there have also been changes to the progress bar patch, and a new patch to modify the collection count behavior is available, I'll most probably bundle all of these changes into JBPatch v 2.3.2.

PS: The resources for the dictionaries patch have already been uploaded to transifex, so as always... thanks for translating them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-13T17_19_23-0000.gif
Views:	475
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	92303   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-13T17_19_30-0000.gif
Views:	498
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	92304  

Last edited by ixtab; 09-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #665
Tcdasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmm... I'm afraid that I don't know what is going on there. Do you see the covers for books downloaded from Amazon? Do you see the "cover" for JBPatch? If so, then you're probably doing something wrong (but I don't know what). Otherwise, please check the log files (the JBPatch log, and possibly the system log) and report back if you find anything unusual.
Unfortunately it happens also with books from Amazon, but there is cover for JBPatch.

Hmm... how to say... everything in the log files seems unusual for me

EDIT: I've just tried one more thing. I sent a file directly to the Kindle (without Calibre) and it works. Do you know is there any problem with Calibre? Is there any setting which could be responsible for this problem?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #666
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Tcdasa: Err, just to be clear: Which covers are you talking about? The small thumbnail shown in the 'longpress on an item in Home' popup? Or the 'big' cover in Cover View mode with the patch applied?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #667
Tcdasa

@NiLuJe: I ment small thumbnails .
Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #668
ixtab
(offline)

Version 2.3.2

Here's a shiny new version of JBPatch.

There have been no changes to the core functionality, but a few new or updated patches are included. Most of these had already been individually released before, but now they're "officially" bundled with JBPatch. In particular, the following changes were made:
  • The latest version of the progress bar patch is now included. It features a "chapter progress bar" as well.
  • The patch to change the counting behavior for collections is also included. While it is really only relevant if you use nested collections, it will not affect the display if you don't use nested collections.
  • The brand new patch which allows to easily look up words in more than one dictionary is now included as well.

Enjoy!

Last edited by ixtab; 09-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #669
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
In that case, this has nothing to do with JBPatch
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #670
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Which version of Calibre are you using? (it should be >= 0.8.53 )
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #671
sliu
sliu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here's a shiny new version of JBPatch.

There have been no changes to the core functionality, but a few new or updated patches are included. Most of these had already been individually released before, but now they're "officially" bundled with JBPatch. In particular, the following changes were made:
  • The latest version of the progress bar patch is now included. It features a "chapter progress bar" as well.
  • The patch to change the counting behavior for collections is also included. While it is really only relevant if you use nested collections, it will not affect the display if you don't use nested collections.
  • The brand new patch which allows to easily look up words in more than one dictionary is now included as well.

Enjoy!
ixtab, thanks again for providing us this wonderful patch framework. I am wondering if it is easy to add the pronunciation in the popup dictionary lookup window. As English is not my first language, I constantly look up word pronunciations and going off the book just taking too much time. Thanks a lot.
sliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #672
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Tcdasa: Then, yes, Calibre does help with this (by uploading the thumbnail itself, to workaround a quirk in the Touch's behaviour). This sometimes confuses the Touch if you happen to update an existing item, or deleted an item manually (ie. not from the Touch UI), especially if the item has broken/inconsistent metadata.

This Calibre patch is related, but doesn't help on the Touch if an ASIN is set. It simply more closely matches what KG does.

As thomass said, make sure you're using a recent enough Calibre build.

And it indeed has nothing to do with JBPatch (@ixtab: Unless the cover workaround for files with a non-amazon ASIN in the Cover View patches has a wider reach?).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #673
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu View Post
ixtab, thanks again for providing us this wonderful patch framework. I am wondering if it is easy to add the pronunciation in the popup dictionary lookup window. As English is not my first language, I constantly look up word pronunciations and going off the book just taking too much time. Thanks a lot.
The "dictionary lookup window" can only provide the information that the underlying dictionaries contain - in other words, it can only show whatever the dictionaries provide for the requested term. These may, or may not, include phonetic descriptions. But of course, it is not possible to create these pronunciation hints out of thin air...

Or did I get something wrong? If so, please elaborate what you mean by "look[ing] up word pronunciations".
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #674
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And it indeed has nothing to do with JBPatch (@ixtab: Unless the cover workaround for files with a non-amazon ASIN in the Cover View patches has a wider reach?).
Nope, definitely not.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #675
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Thanks for the confirmation .

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks