Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Paperweight has a 4bit framebuffer

In addition there are reductions in storage, compared to the 3keyboard like numbers I was hoping for.

Think that really caps it - for me now - in terms of getting proper buildroot support going.

Rather was banking on the 8bpp FB. now they have moved to 4Bpp again. well. phoeey. It puts all manner of nice things that bit further back again.

Coupled with the tiny storage it becomes a moot point really. It's so insanely small almost nothing will fit in it.

Total disaster IMHO for the development community. I think this just underlines Amazons total non-commitment to those involved in the early kdk work and subsequent application offerings.

Screen looks nice I suppose ; (
Ho Hum.

Oh... and we better get some new prefixes sharpish - they are on sale now.

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 05:11 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Toys --> Pram

Suppose I will just have to stay excited about the LEAP
https://leapmotion.com/preorder : (

err. no audio?
well, thanks you and goodnight gentlemen. here my interest ends.

Suppose I had better order a pile of 3 keyboards now then...

I am sad. : ( They took my sound away...

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Oh... and we better get some new prefixes sharpish - they are on sale now.
Lots of luck with that, still waiting to see the HowTo prefix to show up on the list.

No audio, flash 1/2 the size ...
Haven't had my hands on one, but it sounds like a K9 prefix to me.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
twobob

I really really really wanted to this to be awesome.

It's average at best and simply reduces functionality.
Err? no audio? How will Text to speech work then?

*goes off and looks at things again*

EDIT: Nope, no TTS, no assisted reading, no actual pandering to those with special needs whatsoever that I can see...

I'm not sure it would even be legal to develop something so obviously inaccessible in the UK, and bet you diamonds if it was someone would quite rightly gripe about it.

Sigh, there was me getting all excited about new horizons only to be cut down by penny pinching focus-groupers with a vision for a bahaman beach one day not a happy new world order.

I should really stop getting my hopes up. Ho Hum.

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On this side of the pond,
The K3wifi is limited to what stores have in-stock (no Amazon source);
The K3g is still in-stock at Amazon (for however long that lasts).

The uses I had in mind for the Kindle all work best with a button board.

I expect the prices of used K3 machines to start going up as the availability of new K3 machines dries up, if they haven't already.

And our nice vendor (Amazon) is willing to give me a $15 credit for trading in my K3.

Personally, I think it is time to take my interests elsewhere.
I may feel differently tomorrow, but that is the way I feel today.
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
twobob

Hmm. Ah dont say that. Ah bugger, that's kind of how I feel as well.

Meh. I'll go make some tea and look at a list of devices : (

but really, it makes me very sad.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
....hmmmm.....

Maybe I won't go ahead and get the "PaperWeight"........
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
....hmmmm.....

Maybe I won't go ahead and get the "PaperWeight"........
Yeah

But fixing a thread title is something that only mods can do.

@twobob: Please do try to get the thread title adjusted from "Paperweight" to "Paperwhite".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yeah

@twobob: Please do try to get the thread title adjusted from "Paperweight" to "Paperwhite".
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he did that on purpose. All of twobobs thread names bring a smile (or a quizzical look) to my face. So it would make sense that it applies to this thread also. Of course they are somewhat close words and maybe it was auto corrected or something....
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
@twobob: I am sad about the lack of audio too. Dealbreaker! I love the loudspeakers on my KT, it doubles as a mini boombox . And I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, music, the audio feature just belongs on there! I still love the higher res and the frontlight, but this really sucks!

Well, thank you so much for linking to the Leap! That thing is amazing! I don't remember the last time when I have been so excited for new tech.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yeah

That is a quote.

Those who where following the C|NET live blog probably noticed that typo (or Freudian slip) posted by their reporter from the hanger floor during the presentation.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm. Ah dont say that. Ah bugger, that's kind of how I feel as well.

Meh. I'll go make some tea and look at a list of devices : (

but really, it makes me very sad.
Plus, we don't know if this model is glued closed.

Yup, probably time to go visit the various device lists.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Plus, we don't know if this model is glued closed.

Yup, probably time to go visit the various device lists.
This morning's chuckle . . .

I went to a "major" device selection site (name and link withheld). . .

Used their on-line desired features questionnaire form. . .

Was recommended: the Kindle Keyboard with Wifi (K3)
Which is discontinued ;
Which is why I was at the site in the first place.

Guess I better get my bad K3-3G packed up and returned while there are still a few of them available to be returned in exchange.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
twobob

now that is a bloody good idea
Old 09-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Next brain fart:
Could I get a pre-elease evaluation copy of the new K9 out of Amazon?
Hmm...
Just add catagory and forum headers to Minimodding.com. then ask them.
They might not notice site has been closed for 2 years.

At least I could report if it will be another one of the "glued closed" advertising gadgets.

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, prefixes, techincal