Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #166
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Sheepfarmer's Daughter reminds me of the novels of earlier eras when authors would take their time developing the characters and plots. Perhaps the fault--if fault there be--lies in our modern expectation of instant gratification in all things. For better or worse, our current pace of living has apparently caused us to lose patience with anything that takes time to fully develop.

What do you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #167
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Sheepfarmer's Daughter reminds me of the novels of earlier eras when authors would take their time developing the characters and plots. Perhaps the fault--if fault there be--lies in our modern expectation of instant gratification in all things. For better or worse, our current pace of living has apparently caused us to lose patience with anything that takes time to fully develop.

What do you think?
Well after the comments so far which have turned me away (I haven't actually started it other than reading the first few pages) this actually make me MORE interested in reading it. A big reason I bought a Sony Reader was the availability of Classic Novels and I've read quite a few of them since getting it....maybe I'll give reading this a big push. and see what I think compared to a yous guyses...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #168
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

What do you think?
I don't think an "it was better in the old days" explanation is enough, and I don't think it covers my case. One thing I enjoy about "Lord of the Rings" (an obvious example) is the slow pace, and in general I find that a book does not necessarily have to be fast paced for me to enjoy - I even find I enjoy a slow pace more and more, so I can enjoy the prose and the multiple layers in it. In this case, I find the prose flat, bland and boring, and honestly only suited to bring the story forward. And when the story is developed as slowly as it is, and with fairly flat characters, too, I've found very little in it to enjoy. It's not "bad", just "meh".
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #169
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I am among those who find the book too slow-moving for my tastes, and what you say about it's style rings true. For what it's worth, those who have read past the first book in the series say the follow-ups are much more enjoyable.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #170
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I don't think an "it was better in the old days" explanation is enough, and I don't think it covers my case. One thing I enjoy about "Lord of the Rings" (an obvious example) is the slow pace, and in general I find that a book does not necessarily have to be fast paced for me to enjoy - I even find I enjoy a slow pace more and more, so I can enjoy the prose and the multiple layers in it. In this case, I find the prose flat, bland and boring, and honestly only suited to bring the story forward. And when the story is developed as slowly as it is, and with fairly flat characters, too, I've found very little in it to enjoy. It's not "bad", just "meh".
That is my opinion too, and the reason I stopped reading it. I can't judge the story because I didn't read enough into the book, but the story is not what interests me in a book anyway. I do like believable characters with a depth of their own and that you can identify with (even the villains), and from the little I've read I'm not sure this book offers them.

But really I'm just chiming in to say that it's hard to judge a book from what others say about it, because there are so many different aspects to books, and different people will enjoy, or expect, or dislike, different aspects. Even among the people who didn't much like this book, we do it for different reasons, so that doesn't mean that we will all like or dislike the same books generally.

I think someone here, or in another thread, mentioned Pillars of the Earth, and although I did read it through, I thought it was OK but rather clumsily written. Just an example that mileage will differ
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #171
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I do intend on finishing the book, because it does have redeeming qualities, but I did need to take a break from it. Perhaps it just doesn't currently suit my mood. I find that happens sometimes.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #172
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
But really I'm just chiming in to say that it's hard to judge a book from what others say about it, because there are so many different aspects to books, and different people will enjoy, or expect, or dislike, different aspects. Even among the people who didn't much like this book, we do it for different reasons, so that doesn't mean that we will all like or dislike the same books generally.
That's a very good point.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #173
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
At the end of this volume, there are a few questions that might - just - make me look at the subsequent ones. The author sets up two heavily drawn villains, and then just seems to throw them away. I would suppose that they will turn up again in later installments. There is also the question of why the various bad hats drew attention to themselves by going on the attack when they were, apparently, not sufficiently equipped to follow through. And why did they fight so badly? During one of the battles, halberdiers threw their halberds like javelins before the battle had been fully engaged. Military folly. Why did they do that?

I imagine that the various villains know something about the heroine that neither she nor her friends have yet discovered. It is to clear up these mysteries that one might go on reading.

But the prose is terribly wooden, and the characterization remains at the level of a book for adolescents: there's something terribly schooly about it all. I found myself reading as quickly as possible, in order to get it over and done with. If I had put it down, I don't think I'd ever have picked it up again. So on balance, I doubt very much that I will read on.

P.S. I have read six of the other books on the original list: all of them are in an entirely different world in so far as the writing is concerned. I'm afraid Elizabeth Moon simply should not be in competition with Tolkien or Gaiman. And Swift????

Last edited by TimMason; 07-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #174
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
But the prose is terribly wooden, and the characterization remains at the level of a book for adolescents: there's something terribly schooly about it all.
As I read it I was thinking it was written by the book*. And I thought I'd have loved it if I was 15-25.

*i.e. a book on how to write
Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #175
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So is Sheepherders Daughter? Or Americann Gods. I'm late, as always.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #176
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
So is Sheepherders Daughter? Or Americann Gods. I'm late, as always.
Sheepfarmer's Daughter won, but some of us have found the prose a bit bland and the story a bit slow. Others like it very much. Personally, I find American Gods a superior novel (and will start a non-bookclub discussion thread on it on next Friday in case you are interested).
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #177
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Sheepfarmer's Daughter won, but some of us have found the prose a bit bland and the story a bit slow. Others like it very much. Personally, I find American Gods a superior novel (and will start a non-bookclub discussion thread on it on next Friday in case you are interested).

Thanks! And I'll get cracking on SHDaughter.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But we should not have to read two slow books to get to the good stuff in book 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #179
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But we should not have to read two slow books to get to the good stuff in book 3.
There's lots of good stuff in book 1. I am reading it and it is a good story. There was a bit where it slowed down for a while about 1/3 of the way in... but once you get to a certain spot

Spoiler:
Paks and her two friends, Canna and Saben, escape the attack and set off to tell the Duke what happened.

...I think it picks up and moves quickly again. I am a bit more than 1/2 way through and I am pretty sure at this point I will read the whole trilogy.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-16-2010 at 05:35 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #180
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
...I think it picks up and moves quickly again. I am a bit more than 1/2 way through and I am pretty sure that this point I will read the whole trilogy
While I agree that the writing isn't at the level of "To Kill A Mockingbird", I throughly enjoyed the book and have already picked up the second and third novels.

Waiting for the start of discussion on "American Gods" and about to finish "His Majesty's Dragon"
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote