Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
What is the purpose of the Fetch Metadata failure dialog?

Hi all,

Slowly starting to understand the whole metadata process. Even finally figured out the ISBNdb.com registration and key acquisition process. What I don't understand is the "No metadata found, try adjusting the title and author or the ISBN key" dialog. It includes the expected OK. But also a Copy to Clipboard button, which copies the message above.

First, the dialog seems to require an extra click for little benefit. A message caption or the simple cessation of the working graphic with no resulting data would seem more efficient. As such, if no metadata is found, you have to click the dialog OK and then either OK or Cancel to the book's metadata search window. Seems to me, one of those OK's could be dispensed with.

This, of course, is a very minor pecadillo. But if it can be turned off, I'd appreciate knowing where the setting is.

Thanks, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
First, the dialog seems to require an extra click for little benefit. A message caption or the simple cessation of the working graphic with no resulting data would seem more efficient.
If the "working graphic" just stops, it looks like it has hung. I don't like that idea. A message caption requires a message box, and that has to be closed with a click - isn't that what it does now?

It might be nice if I could change the author or title at this screen - to do another search, instead of having to back out and change author/title of the book record, but that's not the way it's written. If you'd like an enhancement like that, the bug tracker is a good place to request it and see if Kovid agrees.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
If the "working graphic" just stops, it looks like it has hung. I don't like that idea. A message caption requires a message box, and that has to be closed with a click - isn't that what it does now?

It might be nice if I could change the author or title at this screen - to do another search, instead of having to back out and change author/title of the book record, but that's not the way it's written. If you'd like an enhancement like that, the bug tracker is a good place to request it and see if Kovid agrees.
I frequently use information strips on the form and my suggestion was to do that, not run a message box. As for the working graphic, having it go away, not stop and stay on the screen was my suggestion there. My only issue with the whole dialogue is that it seems to be without benefit beyond letting you know a metadata search has failed. Failing BACK to the main form seems more productive, as in the case where you'd like to correct information and resend the search parameters.

Pseudo-code:
Show working cursor
Do search
If search.count > 0 then show formResults else Hide working cursor
// change a label.caption somewhere on screen to indicate success/failure
// place directly below Fetch metadata from server button
// Last Search: Success or Last Search: Failure

This would leave you in the form to edit

That said, this is not the place for suggestions, as I have learned. So, I will redirect my circumspection to the bug tracker.

In the meantime, I'm still finding all kinds of new and neat things about the program.

GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote