Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
sudermatt
sudermatt began at the beginning.

Device: eken m001
Section for windows Tablet computers?

I recently purchased a windows tablet computer and have been looking for a good reading program.

A great review of options are defined here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...windows+tablet

But I really think these devices are going to become more prevalent / relevant in the ereader space.

Might I suggest a separate space for us tableteers?
sudermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'd love a forum areas for Tablets period. Not just windows tablets, but also the upcoming Android tablets, WebOS tablets etc.

iPad could stay in the Apple devices area as it's popular enough (along with iPhone/iTouch) to get its own area. And that area is pretty hostile and full of bickering (though it's calmed down some) and I imagine that would get worse if combined with other tablet device users as we'd get a ton of Windows vs. Ipad vs Android flame wars etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Sounds great. I use iPad for now, and am very interested in any competition. I love tablet form, not Apple, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
sudermatt
sudermatt began at the beginning.

Device: eken m001
Windows tablets are a whole other bread than iPads....with plenty of pluses and minuses to go around.

isn't there a seperate place for Apple devices? thought I saw it.
sudermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just bought a Windows Tablet (Asus eee PC T91MT) and have found the few threads in Alternative Devices to be invaluable. A forum dedicated to tablets would be most welcome.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd love a forum areas for Tablets period. Not just windows tablets, but also the upcoming Android tablets, WebOS tablets etc.

iPad could stay in the Apple devices area as it's popular enough (along with iPhone/iTouch) to get its own area. And that area is pretty hostile and full of bickering (though it's calmed down some) and I imagine that would get worse if combined with other tablet device users as we'd get a ton of Windows vs. Ipad vs Android flame wars etc.
Agreed. The iPad is already a game changer, and the Android pads are gonna be SO cheap that almost everyone will be able to have one, probably. Big market there. Huge. I expect the Windows pads will run a distant third place.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
If you look at the traffic level in the alternative devices area on the forum, there just doesn't seem to be any need to split things up more than they already are yet.

I am sure that when it becomes worthwhile doing so that the mods will make changes.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The Ipad has its own forum (good riddance, I'd say) and I agree with Crowl, the alternate device forum is empty enough still to be able to house a few more tablets...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If you build it they will come.

The Windows tablets are headed to market, iPad or no iPad.
That will drive traffic to whatever forum hosts the info, but a dedicated forum will be easier to find and more useful.

If anything, I would suggest a need for *two* tablet forums: one for Windows Tablet/Netbook reading, the other for Android/Linux tablets and "smartbooks" (if the latter ever ship). The former are all likely to be Intel-based while the latter will be ARM-based, a pretty clear distinction. Both are clearly going to be different than the generic third-tier readers found in the "other readers" forum because they will come from mainstream players and feature strong communications functions for online reading and light content creation so the discussions will be different. Moving forward, there will clearly be three hybrid/multi-function ebook delivery platforms; iPad, Windows, and Android. If the first gets a separate forum, the other two should, too.

A measure of foresight can be a good thing and providing a clear point for the incoming news and discussion on both of these new platforms would be a nice proactive gesture that would likely *increase* traffic in those areas by increasing their visibility.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-27-2010 at 08:47 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If you build it they will come.

The Windows tablets are headed to market, iPad or no iPad.
That will drive traffic to whatever forum hosts the info, but a dedicated forum will be easier to find and more useful.

If anything, I would suggest a need for *two* tablet forums: one for Windows Tablet/Netbook reading, the other for Android/Linux tablets and "smartbooks" (if the latter ever ship). The former are all likely to be Intel-based while the latter will be ARM-based, a pretty clear distinction. Both are clearly going to be different than the generic third-tier readers found in the "other readers" forum because they will come from mainstream players and feature strong communications functions for online reading and light content creation so the discussions will be different. Moving forward, there will clearly be three hybrid/multi-function ebook delivery platforms; iPad, Windows, and Android. If the first gets a separate forum, the other two should, too.

A measure of foresight can be a good thing and providing a clear point for the incoming news and discussion on both of these new platforms would be a nice proactive gesture that would likely *increase* traffic in those areas by increasing their visibility.
Smart thinking.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
Marib
Marib began at the beginning.

Device: none
A bevy of Windows Tablets will be out by the end of the year as announced by Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO. I can't wait to see and be a part of the latest technology.

windows tablet
Marib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If there's no interest in direct support here, Tablet PCs are old enough that there are other established venues:

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Guys, you know perfectly well that iPad does not have it's own forum - it's 'Apple devices' just like the 'Android devices' forum. Should there be a 'Windows devices' forum? Well, that's up to the powers that be, but I'd say sure, why not? If it drives traffic, helps folks out and keeps the other forums relevant, then it'd be hard to argue against, no?

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote