Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2010 Mobile Read Book
The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne 35 44.30%
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens 1 1.27%
The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Rudolf Erich Raspe 4 5.06%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 5 6.33%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 5 6.33%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 10 12.66%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 8 10.13%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 1 1.27%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 3 3.80%
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley 5 6.33%
The Odyssey by Homer 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Finally! Advice I can use!

OK, no more of that! Time to get crackin' on the Verne!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #77
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The opposition to "The Mysterious Island" is split amongst all the 'minor' books. If we had an Alternative Vote, Single Transferrable Vote, or even a run-off between first and second, I'm sure "Kim" would win!
I think your logic is flawed. People that didn't vote for Mysterious Island aren't voting against it but for another book. You assuming all those votes not for Kim or Mysterious Island would go to Kim is not guaranteed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #78
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Well, actually I can, come to think of it. It's this terrible "first past the post" system we have here. The opposition to "The Mysterious Island" is split amongst all the 'minor' books. If we had an Alternative Vote, Single Transferrable Vote, or even a run-off between first and second, I'm sure "Kim" would win!

Don't be silly, Lets do this the sensible and fair way , we choose my choice and no one elses opinion matters .... that way I'm happy, and you'll all love "The Three Musketeers",

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #79
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think your logic is flawed. People that didn't vote for Mysterious Island aren't voting against it but for another book. You assuming all those votes not for Kim or Mysterious Island would go to Kim is not guaranteed.

BOb
Absolutely.

It is interesting though, that, a part from the impulse at the first book, the votes of the other books seem to have a Gaussian distribution around Kim. I mean looking at the ballot results. Watch out friends, may be one of the Muses is hovering around. Clio? Calliope?

Or maybe it is the arc of Apollo ?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #80
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THE POLL IS CLOSED...

GO FORTH AND READ.....

I will open the discussion thread on the 20th of May... which just happens to be the anniversary of my birth.

BOb
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Happy Anniversary!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 AM   #82
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It's only fair that you should miss my joke after I missed your (much better) joke.

It's election time in the UK. There's lots of talk about voting reform, because as things currently stand, it's looking as though the current government might come in third in terms of actual votes cast, yet still end up with the largest number of seats in parliament.

I wasn't serious about holding a run-off this time. Although it might be an idea in much closer votes.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
THE POLL IS CLOSED...

GO FORTH AND READ.....
And if you finish up Mysterious Island quickly, I have just uploaded a fantastic new version of Kim in Mobipocket and ePub versions to the Mobileread ebook library.

This is a very closely proofed text, has has been checked against printed editions, and the best of the available electronic texts from ePenguin and Modern Library.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #84
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I added the ePub link to Kim (by pdurrant) to the first page of this thread (with the other book links).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:23 AM   #85
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
It's election time in the UK.
Yes, we gotta choose between Oliver Twist, Baron Munchausen and Frankenstein .

I used my vote here for practice.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #86
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I've been watching the coverage on BBC America and doing the above -
Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #87
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Change place, come over here in Italy. Politics is so much better!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #88
kennyc

Or Greece.

But no one can have a much fun with our politicians as we U.S.Aians!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #89
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Change place, come over here in Italy. Politics is so much better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Or Greece.

But no one can have a much fun with our politicians as we U.S.Aians!
Or China...

BOb
Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #90
aug_aug
aug_aug doesn't litteraug_aug doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I think everyone is simply craving a little adventure after the whole chicken-farm-not-really-that-funny choice in last month's runoff...
aug_aug is offline   Reply With Quote