Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
Converting multiple HTML files into a single hyperlinked PDF?

Last year, I created an ebook version of the TV Tropes Wiki for the Kindle with the help of the MobiPocket Creator Professional by using the downloaded HTML files of the wiki as the base and loading them into the Creator (after using scripts to cut them in size).

This worked reasonably well, but the nested structure of individual entries wasn't really ideal for reading on my Kindle. So now that I've got a iRex DR1000S, I want to use a different format instead - PDF.

Is there any program or script out there that takes multiple HTML files as input and turns them into a single PDF file?
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Adobe Acrobat has a feature for doing this --- the European Union even (used to?) uses it to make their style manual available as a .pdf

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Adobe Acrobat has a feature for doing this --- the European Union even (used to?) uses it to make their style manual available as a .pdf
I assume that this is the commercial version, not the free reader, right?

Free software which also does this would be highly appreciated, although if nothing else helps I'll have to get something commercial instead.

(Oh, and it must be possible to upload the component HTML files as batches - that wiki consists of more than 10,000 individual pages, and I have no interest in loading them into the program one at a time...)
Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would use Prince XML for this personally. I think it would do all you want. It's free for non-commercial use. What makes it particularly attractive is that, with the right settings, you'll get some relatively advanced typographical features like kerning/hinting, TeX-style end of line hyphenation, ligatures, etc.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I would use Prince XML for this personally. I think it would do all you want. It's free for non-commercial use. What makes it particularly attractive is that, with the right settings, you'll get some relatively advanced typographical features like kerning/hinting, TeX-style end of line hyphenation, ligatures, etc.
Thanks for that suggestion. I checked it out, and it really is very flexible and powerful.

Unfortunately, the conversion process stopped when the program ran out of memory when I used the command line interface to create a PDF based on the TV Tropes Wiki. I guess 10,000+ files were a few too many...
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Jurgen, this is an awesome project. T.V. tropes is like crack to me. I hope it works out!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Jurgen, this is an awesome project. T.V. tropes is like crack to me. I hope it works out!
I did manage to create a .prc version more than a year ago. But now I really want to create a PDF version because I want to read it on my new iRex and be able to add annotations to it.

I have managed to do the same for smaller wikis, so I know the basic principle is sound. It's just that the memory on my current computer is apparently insufficient to allow Prince run uninterrupted until it finishes, and I don't have the money to upgrade my computer sufficiently at the moment...

(Though if anyone is interested, I can upload the Perl script I cobbled together and explain how it should work in practice...)