Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Possibly "Think Like A Dinosaur" by James Patrick Kelly

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook57.htm

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I remember some years ago either reading a short story, or seeing a short film - I forget which it was - about the "ethics" of transporter technology, the whole point of which was that it inevitably involves the "death" of the person being "transported", and the ethical implications of that.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #32
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I would like a single outpatient injection of nanobots that would repair my eyes permanently, also fix everything nice and young and thin and keep it that way. Immortality?
There was an SF short story I once read about a scientist that developed an immortality drug. One dose and you could not die. As the story progressed, a rat got into the drug and became immortal. The scientist had a "rat killing", caught the rat and beat it to a bloody pulp. Of course the rat couldn't die. He just lay there forever, in pain watching the scientist.

Another SF short story, a genie grants innumerable wishes to someone. They, of course, eventually get around to wishing for immortality, at which point the genie enslaves them and has an immortal slave.

IMO immortality would get to be too boring.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I like the conundrum associated with time travel; what if you went back in time, found your father and killed him?

I expect you'd spend the rest of eternity wandering mindlessly around the MobileRead Forums, no wait...
Maybe you would find out that your "father of record" was not really your father but that your mother had been getting a lot of UPS deliveries about the right time.

What can Brown do for you today?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
There was an SF short story I once read about a scientist that developed an immortality drug. One dose and you could not die. As the story progressed, a rat got into the drug and became immortal. The scientist had a "rat killing", caught the rat and beat it to a bloody pulp. Of course the rat couldn't die. He just lay there forever, in pain watching the scientist.
Nothing is new. There was a story in Greek mythology about a goddess who asked Zeus to make her mortal lover immortal. He did so, but because she had neglected to ask for him to be ageless, he just got older, and older, and older, but could never die.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #35
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Ponce de Leon couldn't find it.

Count St. Germaine was purported to have found it. Yeah right!!

Being immortal would be just too much of a 'deja vu, again and again'.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #36
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
FTL may be impossible, given our current knowledge. However, if someone discovers a way to get from point A to point B without travelling through the intervening space, you aren't really travelling FTL. Of course, I'm talking about subspace, hyperspace, warp drive, jump drive, skip drive, etc. as used in many SF stories over the decades. I don't think we'll every see it, but I don't discount the possibility that some future generation will.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #37
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Quote:
IMO immortality would get to be too boring.
Only if you kept all your memories and as some SF authors propose that wouldn't be a good idea wrt to properly functional brains. So a storage of memories and wipe of them from the brain would be a good idea. Then you could get a lot of new experiences.

Though personally I'd just go for an extended lifetime of say 500 years...
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #38
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
FTL may be impossible, given our current knowledge. However, if someone discovers a way to get from point A to point B without travelling through the intervening space, you aren't really travelling FTL. Of course, I'm talking about subspace, hyperspace, warp drive, jump drive, skip drive, etc. as used in many SF stories over the decades. I don't think we'll every see it, but I don't discount the possibility that some future generation will.

Let's get our definitions straight. Speed of light is usually defined as the speed of light in a vacuum. There is a loophole in Maxwell's equation's boundary conditions that describes that.

Maxwell's equations have two boundary conditions. 1. the electromagnetic wave needed to have a right hand twist, and 2. c, the speed of light had to follow the following equation, c = 1/square root of (permeability of medium and permittivity of medium). Until 1999, permeability and permittivity were considered constants, requiring the speed of light to be a constant.

In 1999, a team at Cal San Diego found a way to create a resonance (at microwave length) that allows both permeability and permittivity to be changed and made negative. Experiments with this resonance (nicknamed left-handed materials), have shown a complete inversion of the Laws of Optics, such as Snell's Law. In addition, the first boundary condition of Maxwell's Equation, the right hand twist, became a left-hand twist, with the appearance the while the beam was moving towards the target, the propagation form seemed to be moving backward.

The second boundary condition implies that as the permeability and permittivity approach zero, the speed of light should approach infinity. For some reason, this boundary condition has not been tested. One test was done in 2003, by using mis-aligned surfaces over a short distance (45 nanometers) to mimick the field condition, which shown no change in c. Unfortunately, surface effects are not field effects. The question remains open...

If you can speed up light in a field with low permeability and permittivity, that would break the classic [I]c[/]. This would not violate both Relativities, merely expand the defintion of c in them into a variable rather that a constant. If you can't, then you've busted Maxwell's Equations. Either way, an interesting experiment.

Of course, making it apply across all wavelengths with be an interesting piece of engineering....

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have a reference for that, Ralph? I am an avid reader of "New Scientist", but I don't recall reading about that. It sounds very interesting.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you have a reference for that, Ralph? I am an avid reader of "New Scientist", but I don't recall reading about that. It sounds very interesting.

I don't have a copy of the 2003 paper, the nearby university changed it stacks to online in the early 2000's and they don't allow offprints (copyright violation). I chained to it researching the question from a paper out of a recent survey book on left-handed material from 2006. (I just hunted for the survey book, and can't find it. It's probably packed in the storeroom. Too many p-book and not enough space. I could look up the book on Amazon, where I purchased it. $118 dollars, I believe.) I'll look elsewhere later, if I find it, I'll post it.

Anyway, to even discuss that c is not the ultimate constant in the universe is nye kultoorni in professional physics. Not suprising not has ever been mentioned in The New Scientist. The second boundary condition can be found in most introductory books on relativity, as Maxwell's equations are the first unified field theory produced (electricity and magnetism) and underlie relativity. I connected the dots and then researched the book which led to the paper. Truly sorry I don't have all the ducks lined up for the forum.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not a problem. I'd be interested to have it if you do happen to come across a reference in the future. I have access to all the usual online journal abstracts - JSTOR, etc.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #42
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Eggbeaters!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #43
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not a problem. I'd be interested to have it if you do happen to come across a reference in the future. I have access to all the usual online journal abstracts - JSTOR, etc.

I'll make a real effort to find it tommorrow. I'm awfully booked up today.

Here's a link to the book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471601462

I remember the relevant chapter was chapter 10.4.4, also 10.2

Last edited by Greg Anos; 04-06-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #44
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
a bit on the topic of what Ralph Sir Edward(if I follow right. bit beyond my knowage of the subject at hand.) was talking about I saw I think on nova about them slowing down light to the speed of a bike. using a supercooled gas that made into a Bose–Einstein condensate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2...ein_condensate

think that nova is on hulu right now. it the one on the speed of light or the one on cold can remeber.

also I have seen some papers have not look how that is passable yet faster then c (while I was looking up the ref to slowing light so dont know if that right dont have the time now to look agin)

think im restating things but im to illinform to tell if that is the case.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'll make a real effort to find it tommorrow. I'm awfully booked up today.

Here's a link to the book. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471601462

I remember the relevant chapter was chapter 10.4.4, also 10.2
Thanks Ralph - appreciate it!