Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Kindle 2 screen?
Yes, I think its better than Kindle 1 31 54.39%
Yes, its about the same as Kindle 1 14 24.56%
No, Background is to dark and the text is to light 11 19.30%
I don't own a Kindle, but am interested in the results 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Are you happy with your Kindle 2 screen?

I wanted to get an idea of what other owners of kindle 2 think about the screen quality compared to kindle 1.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've only used a Kindle 1 for about 30 minutes, but I think my Kindle 2 does have better quality (I think it's higher contrast). I am loving the Kindle so far, I just went on a book buying frenzy today
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Matches, could you add an option to your poll along this line:

Quote:
I don't own a Kindle but I'm interested in the poll results
Adding such a line would allow those of us who are interested in following both the poll and the conversation but who do not own a Kindle to participate without skewing the poll results.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 use the same screen. All that's changed is the controller.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
I am getting "burn in" of the screen saver text "Slide and Release..." - it's visible at the bottom of my screen all the time.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 use the same screen. All that's changed is the controller.
So what use is this poll since the screen on the K1 & K2 are exactly the same?

Yes, the K2 may make better use of the 6" Vizplex screen due to the new controller, but as HarryT said, it's exactly the same screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I'd say it's much better than the K1 screen.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The controller is different which makes the display system different. Also, it sounds from anecdotal evidence that the new display system is a bit more prone to ghosting. Also, it sounds like the font isn't as "heavy" on the K2 as the K1.

So, while the eInk screen hardware is the same... the images can appear different from K1 to K2. But, I would also say that you will see variation from K1 to K1 and from K2 to K2 also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisjuan View Post
I am getting "burn in" of the screen saver text "Slide and Release..." - it's visible at the bottom of my screen all the time.
I'm getting the same thing
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just posted a side-by-side comparison using my scanner.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
I'm getting the same thing
That's not "burn in". Burn in would be highly unlikely on an eInk screen.

What you're seeing is commonly referred to as "Ghosting". Apparently this happens because the K2 doesn't referesh the entire screen all the time, probably as a power saving measure.

Have you tried Pressing ALT-G to do a full screen refresh?
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
The thing that I'm struggling with a bit is the rather fine fonts. I would love it if the fonts were just a touch bolder. In my opinion it would improve the readability quite a bit. However, I still think the K2 is a much greater improvement over the K1 than the minor differences would suggest. The fundamental changes are relatively small, but they add up to a pretty big improvement in my opinion.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
That's not "burn in". Burn in would be highly unlikely on an eInk screen.

What you're seeing is commonly referred to as "Ghosting". Apparently this happens because the K2 doesn't referesh the entire screen all the time, probably as a power saving measure.

Have you tried Pressing ALT-G to do a full screen refresh?
You're right of course it's definitely ghosting not burning...

Yes, a full screen refresh clears the ghosted text.
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the K2 not "flash to black" between page turns to clear the entire screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:42 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Does the K2 not "flash to black" between page turns to clear the entire screen?
The "flash to black" is there, but it doesn't seem to always be fully clearing the very top row and very bottom row in the menus. I've also noticed that certain images can leave a "ghosting" effect on screen turn. Alt+G seems to do a full screen refresh that eliminates this. (Some people swear Alt+G makes their text darker too... I don't think that's the case, but it may be sharpening up the contrast around the edges of the fonts.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote