Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
lizzybeth05
lizzybeth05 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to convert MS Reader format to a compatible format on Sony Reader 505?

What is the best way to convert a MS Reader ebook (.lit) to a format usable on the 505? Is there a way to convert secured MS Reader files?

Thanks in adavance.
lizzybeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre will convert DRM-free LIT to ePub or LRF. Use "ConvertLIT" or "ConvertLIT GUI" to strip the DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Unhappy Convert has failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Calibre will convert DRM-free LIT to ePub or LRF. Use "ConvertLIT" or "ConvertLIT GUI" to strip the DRM.
Hi . . . I've tried about 10 times to Deconvert with ConvertLIT GUI for the test .lit book The Origins Of Wish You Well. But each time I get a 'Failed' message and I don't know why. I have downloaded MS Reader and activated it. Downloaded the book into MS Reader ( after realizing that I couldn't do all this with Firefox . . . that took a while! ) But now I am stuck and ticked off. As you have probably figured out I'm not too computer literate. I just want to be able to read more books on my PRS 505. I hate Adobe with DRM as it doesn't present itself properly in the Sony reader,and the Sony Bookstore is usually more expensive than for example Fictionwise, which also have more content. I have tried to follow all the help under this topic but can't seem to figure it all out and had sort of given up that project until I just saw this article and your comment here. I realize this is not a topic that can be discussed because of legalities. But I don't want to do anything illegal. I am buying books, but want books that I can read properly on my Sony.
Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Jen
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPen1 View Post
Downloaded the book into MS Reader ( after realizing that I couldn't do all this with Firefox . . . that took a while! ) But now I am stuck and ticked off.
Jen,

Did you create your key file... by following the directions in the readme that comes with convert lit?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
lizzybeth05

Quote:
ConvertLIT GUI has three "steps" - Extract, Downconvert, and Inscrib. I know Downconvert will remove the drm, but i dont really understand what the others do, so i dont know if i need to do these steps as well.

If I need to do all three steps, what order I should do the steps in?

OR Should i just downconvert the file and then use that file with calibre to create the .lrf file?

Thanks again in advance
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth05 View Post
Should i just downconvert the file and then use that file with calibre to create the .lrf file?
Yes, this is the easiest approach (downconvert is stripping the DRM, and Calibre can then handle the DRM-free LIT directly). Note that Calibre can convert LIT to LRF or ePub. I suggest trying both to see which you prefer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
lizzybeth05

Wallcraft: Thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That sounds a bit confusing. To remove the DRM from MS Reader eBooks, you need to use the command line to run the program needed to get the key. The add-on GUI won't work until after the key has been gotten. That's where this gets confusing mentioning ConvertLIT and the GUI then the GUI is not part of the program needed to set things up.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jen,

Did you create your key file... by following the directions in the readme that comes with convert lit?

BOb
BOb
I tried to follow the directions, ( I have them printed out beside me ) but I am confused because I've had some error messages. First when I clicked 'Deconvert' a message shows up at the bottom of the list:
Decryption Failed - No keys available for this title.

Then I did find some 'keys' called 'Reader Key Recovery Tool.exe and when I click on them it tells me that it is processing activation DLL for Microsoft Reader (66716004) Writing keys to a folder on C drive.
A screen pops up giving me an option to 'Get Key' which I click on. It then tells me to open a DRM5 ebook in a new MSReader window.
the Reader opens but when I click on the book I get 2 error messages.
1. 'Microsoft Reader:MSReader.exe application error'. That the memory could not be written and a whole bunch of numerals and letters!
2. MSReader Recovery Tool 1.0 Remote Error (more numerals and letters) Unexpected program termination error = c0000005
3. Windows Explorer tells me when clicking on the clit.exe after I have clicked on the book I'm asked to select the parent directory for the expanded LIT file,I'm told that it doesn't exist or is not a directory.

So, I'm sorry to be such a 'doofuss' and you are probably almost as confused now as I am. If you are unable to give me the answer, no problem. I'll just keep trying 'cos I think I'm related to Robert the Bruce who famously said "If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try again"
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
lizzybeth05

Jen,

Have you Activated your MS Reader?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth05 View Post
Jen,

Have you Activated your MS Reader?
YEs... that was to be my next question.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Activated reader

Quote:
YEs... that was to be my next question.

BOb
Yes it is activated. The 'test book' opens and I can read it on my computer. When I click on the 'keys' it opens but then gives me all those messages which I already typed in my previous post.
Thank you for asking!
Jen
Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... disable Date Execution Prevention on your PC. If you are using XP here is how to do that.

Click on your Start menu, the right click on My Computer and choose Properties from the quick menu.

The system properties dialog will open. Click to the Advanced page. Then in the performance group click on the settings button.

The performance options dialog will open. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab. Make sure it is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

This is a shot in the dark.

If you are using Vista let me know. You may need to run everything "as administrator". Turning of DEP on Vista is similar but I don't have Vista here so I can't give you step by step for that.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
JenPen1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmm... disable Date Execution Prevention on your PC. If you are using XP here is how to do that.

Click on your Start menu, the right click on My Computer and choose Properties from the quick menu.

The system properties dialog will open. Click to the Advanced page. Then in the performance group click on the settings button.

The performance options dialog will open. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab. Make sure it is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

This is a shot in the dark.

If you are using Vista let me know. You may need to run everything "as administrator". Turning of DEP on Vista is similar but I don't have Vista here so I can't give you step by step for that.

BOb
I have XP and admin rights. I will try what you have suggested. Once I've done the DEP thing, do I start from scratch or just click on the keys??
Thanks BOb
~Jen
Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPen1 View Post
I have XP and admin rights. I will try what you have suggested. Once I've done the DEP thing, do I start from scratch or just click on the keys??
Thanks BOb
~Jen
Just try to do the recovery tool thing steps that you have trouble with.

BOb