Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #46
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
By the time these batteries start to naturally wear out (not a defect covered by warranty), there will be enough people going through the same issue that I'm sure there will be instructions posted all over the web and you could go on eBay and find tons of them for about $10. That's pretty much true for all the other electronic devices I've had in the past (cell phones, PDAs, etc).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #47
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiter View Post
batteries are replaceable for about 20.00 just don't know how to open the case on the prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
By the time these batteries start to naturally wear out (not a defect covered by warranty), there will be enough people going through the same issue that I'm sure there will be instructions posted all over the web and you could go on eBay and find tons of them for about $10. That's pretty much true for all the other electronic devices I've had in the past (cell phones, PDAs, etc).
Info :

Sony Reader PRS-505 battery at BatteryShip.com.

MR member igorsk has a disassembly set of photos for the 505 so you can see what is inside and notes about it.

Last edited by dreams; 01-22-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: link change
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #48
Ronzzz
Ronzzz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
PRS 505 battery

After being concerned for quite a while, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a battery for my PRS 505. Got it from Battery Ship for $19.95, shipping free. My reader was still working but woefully short on staying power (it is 3 years old). I am happy to report that my new battery is installed and the reader is working fine. It took me about 40 minutes. And, though it is rather intricate, I was able to be patient and get it done. I am 71. Maybe I wont have to do it again!
Ronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #49
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
My coworker has the same issue with the batteries and had to buy a replacement recently.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #50
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
My battery is down to maybe 100 pages then it dies. I printed out the Chinese specifications and I will be off to Shanghai next week to see if I can find one cheap. I am disappointed at the short lifespan of the battery and none of the current models out there interest me so this is my only option.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #51
Dick
Dick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC (Blue); Sony PRS-600 (Black)
Tired battery

My Sony Reader PRS-505 is not yet a year old. I haven't been using it a lot over the last month or so but when I started it a couple of days ago, I found the battery would only hold up for a few hours, loosing charge even when the reader was just sitting or even when totally turned off. The Sony site says if it hasn't been used much in awhile to try charging and discharging it a few times which might increase how long the battery will operate. I'll try that.

But, I went online a few minutes ago to BatteryShip.com and ordered a replacement battery for $22.95 and free shipping to a residence address in the US. They are also sending a small tool kit with a variety of mini-screw drivers and one of the plastic slim-jim type things mentioned here in an earlier reply. They say this is a $10 value but they are sending it for no charge. I don't know how good the tool kit is, but that price sure is right.

With the holiday weekend just starting I expect it will likely be a week or so before I get the battery, so I'll have plenty of time to check on that charge/discharge cycling before it arrives. If it starts working for a reasonable time I will wait on installing the battery. If not, then I'll have it and go for installing it.

I am real disappointed in the life of this battery. It really seems like it should last a lot longer than 11 months. If I end up ruining the device, I'll probably go to a Kindle, but I do rather like the Sony.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote