Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #61
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
You right! Words bad! Short good!
Words are very good. Too many words, like too many of most things, are clutter.

Quote:
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #62
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And that really seems to threaten many people for some reason. Can't say as I understand the phenomenon, myself. I'd never dream of expecting other people's vocabularies to my conform to my own personal, preferred lexicon. Nor would I immediately assume that an author who uses words that aren't a part of my own vocabulary must be trying to "impress" someone.

Knaggy
I'm not threatened, I'm just cranky that I'd have to go to the dictionary to find out his skull was long and narrow. I still mostly read on paper, which means going to the bookshelf and looking words up in the paper dictionary. It seriously impacts the flow of my reading. As stitchawl says, if the word is obscure, it better be worth using. There are times when I'm happy I looked up a word, and times when I'm irked. I'm not sure I can easily explain the difference, except to say that I didn't feel the word was worth using in the latter case. Yes, it's a matter of taste, but so are most parts of literature. I don't think there's anything wrong with making a bad face if you're mouthing something that is not to your tastes, and giving up if it happens too often.

If Dexter's use of obscure words is part of his schtick as an author, then looking them up is something his readers expect to do. Fine for them. I found I needed the dictionary a lot while reading Nabokov, but didn't resent it at all, as I knew the prose was carefully crafted for effect. So, I think there's more to this than intellectual fear.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I agree.
It makes you wonder; is the writer's purpose here to impress or to inform?

Well. Definitely not to inform. We are talking about fiction books here.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
So, I think there's more to this than intellectual fear.
I'm certain of it. But it's the seemingly immediate leap to "presumptuous," or "trying to impress" that I don't get. Surely "not my cup of tea" would be a more logical starting point wouldn't it?

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with making a bad face if you're mouthing something that is not to your tastes, and giving up if it happens too often.
I have no problem if people stop reading the works of authors who use a vocabulary that doesn't seem to "flow" in a way they prefer. That's only natural. We like what we like. It's the knee jerk reaction by many in this thread in assigning some sort of failed ulterior motive on the part of the author that I find puzzling. If you find a particular passage distasteful, I'm cool with that. Frown away. But that's not the same thing as the "the author is trying to sound smarter than us with his big words" vibe that I was getting from many in this thread.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #65
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I look up the dirty words.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #66
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Knowing nothing of the book in question, that looks, to me, like an author throwing around vocabulary for the sake of it. It's far too wordy IMO, indicating unfamiliarity with the word.

Perhaps:

'The thaw continued overnight, and l[. L]awns[,] that had been totally subniveal the day before[,] were now resurfacing in [irregular] patches of irregular green under a blue sky.'

That said, I'm neither a writer nor editor.
Ask as biologist if they would ever use the word 'subniveal' in this manner. If describing the snow-free zone in which rodents travel under the snow cover, the term 'subnivean layer' is frequently used. Does the writer intend to mean that the lawn was snow free? Or was the intent to say that the lawn was simply snow-covered? If so, I don't believe subnivial would be correct usage. It feels more like the writer just added it in for color, without really understanding its meaning. He saw the prefix 'sub' and the root 'niveal,' and thought it would work to mean 'under the snow,' rather than its real meaning.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-03-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #67
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Oh dear. I see on my dictionary log that I have recently looked up both "approbation" and "disapprobation." Apparently I am losing my ability to learn new words!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #68
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Oh dear. I see on my dictionary log that I have recently looked up both "approbation" and "disapprobation." Apparently I am losing my ability to learn new words!

eP
I've been transcribing Burt's Polish-English dictionary into digital format. It's tedious work, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see all those new words and learn them as I went along. Maybe I wouldn't need the dictionary as much later! Well, it's mostly in one ear and out the other, as they say. Maybe the shear volume of words is swamping my ability to learn, or middle age, or... whatever. I'm not retaining much, if anything.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #69
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading the definitions of words is interesting, but for most people, the only way to increase our vocabulary is to 'use' the new words in our daily speaking. Just reading then doesn't seem to do it. While we might remember their meanings, they don't automatically get added to our normal usage.

Stitchawl
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #70
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Reading the definitions of words is interesting, but for most people, the only way to increase our vocabulary is to 'use' the new words in our daily speaking. Just reading then doesn't seem to do it. While we might remember their meanings, they don't automatically get added to our normal usage.

Stitchawl
Thanks, Stitchawl. I'm giving you approbation for your response.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #71
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Thanks, Stitchawl. I'm giving you approbation for your response.

eP

Thanks, but this sort of talk might go to my dolichocephalic head!

Stitchawl
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #72
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

eP
Dictionary log? Is this a feature of the Sony reader? I've often wanted that!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #73
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Ask as biologist if they would ever use the word 'subniveal' in this manner. If describing the snow-free zone in which rodents travel under the snow cover, the term 'subnivean layer' is frequently used. Does the writer intend to mean that the lawn was snow free? Or was the intent to say that the lawn was simply snow-covered? If so, I don't believe subnivial would be correct usage. It feels more like the writer just added it in for color, without really understanding its meaning. He saw the prefix 'sub' and the root 'niveal,' and thought it would work to mean 'covered with snow,' rather than its real meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely, Colin Dexter is simply a man with a very rich vocabulary, who makes full use of it within his books.
Or the author simply has a very big dictionary at hand?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #74
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't know about introducing me to new words, but this thread has certainly introduced me to a new author. <runs off to find books by Colin Dexter now>
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #75
Nella
Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Nook ST, KPW 1,3,4, Kobo Libra 2
English is my third language so the built-in dictionary is very helpful.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote