Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Chinese character input by handwriting works well in Android,, iOS, and WebOS. This is a function of the keyboard, not handwriting recognition in the usual sense. (The pen doesn't make it any better.) It is, however, slow and cumbersome (fast and sloppy as most people do when writing on paper won't work, though the software usually starts guessing after the first few strokes). I don't know Japanese input methods, but for Chinese phonetic input methods beat handwriting on speed any time. The only reason people use handwriting because there is no learning curve.
The most common mode for Japanese input is a modified T9 system. It comes from the old regular cell phones. If you push 1 that button will contain the five first characters in the first Hiragana column あいうえお just pushing it brings up あ pushing and twisting to the right gives you い pushing down renders う to the left え and up お.
So by moving around the key in clockwise fashion you get five characters. If for example you have entered こうむ you will be faced with a selection of 公務, 工務, 校務 and 公務員 or 校務員, hence input from the keyboard is fairly fast. However, in order to sell cell phones to older Japanese (they never bought the key based ones) they have introduced hand writing recognition. The older generation prefer clam shell construction, the lower part containing a keypad for phone dialing and an input screen where you can write with your finger, one character at a time.
Newer models allow you turn the phone and write on the screen in "landscape" mode, some have introduced a stylus so you can write whole sentences. High end models come with a dedicated gaphic input chip that only deals with hand writing recognition. The older generation were educated in a strict school system and had to learn each Kanji by rote so the hand writing recognition system utilizes that rote knowledge. Use the wrong stroke order and you can get some hilarious results.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The most common mode for Japanese input is a modified T9 system. It comes from the old regular cell phones. If you push 1 that button will contain the five first characters in the first Hiragana column あいうえお just pushing it brings up あ pushing and twisting to the right gives you い pushing down renders う to the left え and up お.
So by moving around the key in clockwise fashion you get five characters. If for example you have entered こうむ you will be faced with a selection of 公務, 工務, 校務 and 公務員 or 校務員, hence input from the keyboard is fairly fast. However, in order to sell cell phones to older Japanese (they never bought the key based ones) they have introduced hand writing recognition. The older generation prefer clam shell construction, the lower part containing a keypad for phone dialing and an input screen where you can write with your finger, one character at a time.
Newer models allow you turn the phone and write on the screen in "landscape" mode, some have introduced a stylus so you can write whole sentences. High end models come with a dedicated gaphic input chip that only deals with hand writing recognition. The older generation were educated in a strict school system and had to learn each Kanji by rote so the hand writing recognition system utilizes that rote knowledge. Use the wrong stroke order and you can get some hilarious results.
Being a foreign devil, handwriting input is not for me. I always remember how a word sounds and "roughly" how it looks like. So when I enter the sound and then get a list of characters to pick from it is much easier. Those systems which also give you a list of probable "followup" characters are even quicker. Just a few keyboard strokes and the whole sentence is finished.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would imagine that Chinese is as riddled with homonyms as Japanese. So unless you see the difference between characters you might be in for some troubles. Imagine sending I'll meet you at 肛門 instead of 校門, in Japanese they sound exactly the same.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would imagine that Chinese is as riddled with homonyms as Japanese. So unless you see the difference between characters you might be in for some troubles. Imagine sending I'll meet you at 肛門 instead of 校門, in Japanese they sound exactly the same.
Hehehe, that would be a problem, lol! You probably would get arrested writing that on a note to a school girl... Of course, you have a similar problem in Chinese (with the homonyms). However, looking at 肛 and 校,they don't look the same, not even similar (in this case the pronunciation of these two is also completely different). So when you see the homonyms it is relatively easy to pick the right one from the list. There are dozens and dozens of homonyms for "ji" in the first tone alone, 機基績跡雞 etc, to name just a few. And quite a few other sounds are similar. Just like in Japanese, you only have a limited amount of syllables (sounds) existing in the language.

Obviously you must know your stuff before even attempting to write, no matter what system you use.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-15-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

No, the first character doesn't look the same, but the second is identical and if someone not too familiar with the language is writing, remembering the second character 門 but not the first these things happen. I have some horrible experiences from when I began my studies, once I had a whole train laughing at me hysterically. I was so embarrassed I stepped out on the next station waiting for another train.
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
No, the first character doesn't look the same, but the second is identical and if someone not too familiar with the language is writing, remembering the second character 門 but not the first these things happen. I have some horrible experiences from when I began my studies, once I had a whole train laughing at me hysterically. I was so embarrassed I stepped out on the next station waiting for another train.
At least Japanese are polite. Chinese will actually make fun of your mistakes .
Just have to learn to take it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
Where do you find this setting? I am running android OS 2.3 and I didn't see it within S-Memo App or in the Pen Settings within Settings.

Thanks,
Duane
It is in S-Memo settings. I am also on Android 2.3.6, but the S-Memo got a small update in the meantime (if I remember correctly, through Samsung Apps, not Android Market). Maybe this setting is in the newest updated 2.3 version and not in the previous ones? I hope it still exists in the new S-Memo version for ICS.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I actually forgot my e-ink reader the other day, but had the Note on me and used that to pick right up and read my book. I was surprised, because my eyes generally don't care for reading on a backlit device, but I read for about 2 hours and my eyes were quite comfortable afterward. I could have gone on reading and in fact did, once I was home.

I'm a 5'7" woman, medium frame, perhaps slightly longer than normal fingers, I was able to hold it in my hand and curl a finger around to tap the page for turns using the device one-handed.

I think some reader apps might let you set the volume buttons up for page turning if you don't have long fingers, but I don't like button pushing, so haven't tried that.

Can't speak to it as a phone, I use mine as a WiFi tablet.

Value, well, I got mine used at a good price. But because, unlike other tablets that don't have high enough resolution for my eyes to be comfortable, for me, even full price for an unlocked device would have been good value for *me*. Only have one set of eyes and don't want to ruin 'em.

Haven't used the stylus for note taking much, I prefer to swype. But I do like it for occasional sketching and sometimes to hit links on web pages, though mostly I can do that with my finger.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #24
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Here's a real world question for you owners.
I've noticed that you can start a new S-Note by double tapping with the stylus. But can you recall that note when in a different application?
Let's say you are on the phone, you're asked a question and you write something down in a S-Note, you then open the browser to look up something on the Internet, you want to bring up the same note so you have it all together when you go back to the phone. Is that possible?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Here's a real world question for you owners.
I've noticed that you can start a new S-Note by double tapping with the stylus. But can you recall that note when in a different application?
Let's say you are on the phone, you're asked a question and you write something down in a S-Note, you then open the browser to look up something on the Internet, you want to bring up the same note so you have it all together when you go back to the phone. Is that possible?
If I understand your question, Android is not Windows, and you can't have multiple apps on the screen at the same time; and even if you could there just isn't enough room on the screen.

But you can long press the menu button and have up to six recently viewed apps available, in the same state they were in when you switched away from them, e.g. the same web page or the same note open.

So the answer is yes... sort of.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I have a HTC Desire so I do know about Android's limitations for multi tasking. So even though S-Note appears on top of the running application when double tapped with the S-Pen, the only way you can recall it is with the long push on the menu button. I was thinking there might have been a way to make it slide in to the side, similar to the notification bar, and then you could pull it out again in another application with the latest Note still active. If you do a new double tap in a different application I assume you get a new empty Note.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #27
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I have a HTC Desire so I do know about Android's limitations for multi tasking. So even though S-Note appears on top of the running application when double tapped with the S-Pen, the only way you can recall it is with the long push on the menu button. I was thinking there might have been a way to make it slide in to the side, similar to the notification bar, and then you could pull it out again in another application with the latest Note still active. If you do a new double tap in a different application I assume you get a new empty Note.
Or you can wait until someone ports Cornerstone to it (3 open windows at the same time, 2 small ones at the bottom right). Works fine on my 9.7" screen, 5.3" has its limitations, of course.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Rooting?
I will without fail brick it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ahh, I keep forgetting. What I've been able to deduct from spec sheets it doesn't come with a mini-HDMI connector. So despite supporting HD I can't use it for playing video to a larger screen?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I bought the Note especially for ereading (ok, and mp3, phone, camera, video, gps, lantern etc. but ereading is why I choose the Note) and it is good enough to read from for over an hour. Mantano is a very good reader app that lets you customize everything, pick a good font, size color and background color, adjust the gestures (I inhibit most and only activate what you actually use) and I absolutely love it.
Memory is enormous, I got a map with 500 books (from which I import with Mantano) which does hardly take any space at all.
Tip: point to an empty space on the 'desktop' assign a quick key to books in Mantano and you can go back to where you were reading with one push on the icon.

Oh, BTW, the Note has an AMOLED screen; there is no back lighting, like plasma the pixels them self emit light.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote