Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #46
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
I'm sick of vampire/paranormal books. So boring. When you eat too much of your favorite food, one day you'll hate its taste.
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #47
Jack Silkstone
Jack Silkstone
Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
I would argue that the escapism for many, with regards to action novels, is being able to step into the shoes of someone who is winning against the real threats of the modern world. Making it exciting, fast paced and filled with technology only makes it more appealing. Have a look at the popularity of Tom Clancy and his novels, films and games.

The premise of my series, PRIMAL, is that a team of former military step outside the boundaries of nations and corporations to bring a little justice to the world. It's a concept that resonates with young men who love the idea of taking the fight to the rich, powerful and untouchable.

Vampires and other Urban Fantasy is definitely a market aimed squarely at young women, not saying others can't enjoy them. Like Matt Reilly I want to bring guys back to reading and give them something they can connect with.

Jack
Jack Silkstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
When was the last release of a Clancy-branded book or movie?
I'm thinking there's a reason he sold the brand outright to Ubisoft.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9899543-52.html

As for the pervasiveness of vamps in pop culture, the discussion may be about to go mainstream:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44192205/ns/us_news-life/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #49
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
Well I like vampires/werewolfs/dragons...

Well, I like the Urban fantasy/paranormal romance books alot, and I appreciate what they do for the reading of 12-19 year olds. See, I work att a library (in Sweden) and our consern most of the time is how to get kids to read more. A few years ago it was Harry Potter that brought the kids, now its Twilight and followers...

As I said, I like them, read them and buy them for the library. Some of my collueges express that perhaps we should not buy so many "vampire" books, is it not enough to have say three such series? I say, what about all the crime books, should we stop buying new series there to because we already have several thousand crime books (and I think they all have more or less the same plot)? Of cause not, is always the answer to that.

I´m in favor for letting everybody read what they enjoy, if you don´t like paranormal romance/urban fantasy, don´t read it!

However, at the library everyone should be able to find some of the books they enjoy.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #50
Jack Silkstone
Jack Silkstone
Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!Jack Silkstone rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
The Latest Tom Clancy

[QUOTE=fjtorres;1707912]When was the last release of a Clancy-branded book or movie?
I'm thinking there's a reason he sold the brand outright to Ubisoft.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9899543-52.html

Clancy released a new book recently, Against All Enemies, it was released earlier this year. Got pretty average reviews. UBISOFT bought the rites to his name in games and other media not books.

Still a few mainstream authors writing action and thriller. The Indie world however seems to be dominated by Urban Fantasy and the like.
Jack Silkstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
That nymphomaniac succubus novel sounds like fun!
It's on my list of things to develop...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 08-19-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #52
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
What's with all the damn vampires?
Apparently, it's a lack of nymphomaniac werewolves on Atkins to keep the population controlled.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #53
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep. In the 30's-40's they had a lot of monster movies and some things like the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, then it went to science based science fiction in the 50's (the atom bomb etc.) and musicals for a short time and then things like Dirty Harry and Death Wish then to movie series like Alien, Friday the 13th, and Halloween etc. Movies do seem to come in clusters and books I'm sure follow similar guidelines.
And now superheroes (especially science- and SF-based) are coming back... programs like Heroes and Alphas showing us people with extraordinary powers, pushing the genetic envelope. G.R.R. Martin's Wild Cards series predated a lot of that, though it never went huge.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #54
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Someone on another site suggested that it's all a plot by the vampires... sparkly vampires = cool, by the end of the decade all the girls go looking for cool sparkly vampires... no need to go out for dinner, arrives at the door for a pleasant evening/dinner in, much less work...

Last edited by elcreative; 08-19-2011 at 04:28 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Silkstone View Post
UBISOFT bought the rites to his name in games and other media not books.

Still a few mainstream authors writing action and thriller. The Indie world however seems to be dominated by Urban Fantasy and the like.
Ubisoft bought rights to books, too.
The deal allows him to use his own name only on books he writes himself.
(Might explain the tepid reviews on the last one.)

The indie world dominated by urban fantasy?
Dunno, I see a lot of shelf space devoted to the genre, but most of it comes from BPH labels, Silhouette and the like. I don't think the desire to milk the Twilight tweens is limitted to indies.
Rather, there have long been writers doing their thing in that area and now the publishers are tripping all over themslves to sign them up.
Any day now, somebody else will hit a homerun and we'll see a diferent fad build around a different pre-existent genre. Maybe troubled impotent cyborg secret agents.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #56
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
This very common fantasy is why so many women and girls get into and stay in abusive relationships - 'I can change him! He just needs a good woman!'

No you can't, and no he doesn't.
This is so Sookie Stackhouse! I gave in to reading the books & watching the show after several of my friends raved about both. I don't understand the raves, but I've been sucked in by hoping that Sookie will figure out that vampires = bad relationship choice no matter how "sweet" they try to act.

I adored Anne Rice's books when I was in college & I'm a huge fan of the Buffyverse, but I can't stand Twilight - it & the copycats have really turned me off from vampire books. The same thing happens with many genres though - one hit and suddenly the market is drowning in knock-off books. It makes me thankful that I've found Mobileread & some great reviews & recommendations here to help weed out the junk - especially since it would appear I can no longer count on my aforementioned friends recommendations!
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #57
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Less "sparkly" Vampires! More fuzzy ones!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Someone on another site suggested that it's all a plot by the vampires... sparkly vampires = cool, by the end of the decade all the girls go looking for cool sparkly vampires... no need to go out out for dinner, arrives at the door for a pleasant evening/dinner in, much less work...
Or maybe they're trying to bleed the market dry. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #59
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by applepie View Post
I'm sick of vampire/paranormal books. So boring. When you eat too much of your favorite food, one day you'll hate its taste.
I once had a dream that I was in a prison where they (somehow) found all your favorite things - colors, foods, etc. When you were in this prison, you never saw anything BUT your favorite color (the shared rooms were black-n-white), never ate anything but your favorite food, never heard anything but your favorite song....

...you came to hate everything you once loved.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #60
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Stephen King referred to the Vampire as the ultimate zipless sex act (to paraphrase his words) in (I think) his book of Danse Macabre. He pointed to the 3 sisters (in Dracula) and how Harker was going to be 'orally raped' by them before the Count barges in and breaks things up. He went on to point out that Harker didn't appear to care he was about to be assaulted by the 3 ladies and seems to be disappointed that the Count puts a stop to things. After all he was under their spell and couldn't fight back if he wanted to and what man wouldn't enjoy having the attention of 3 women? Mr. King goes on to say that he imagines Stoker's readers (when the book 1st came out) were no doubt disappointed that the Count stepped in and broke things up as well. Certainly there does seem to be a sexual component to the idea of the Vampire.
This is certainly an element in focus with Goth Vampire bands.

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade, true blood, twilight, vampires