Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #211
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
I could swear I read a LJ post saying sickness was part of the reason why Web of the Trident was never written. However, looking at Steve and Sharon's posts during that time, they seemed fine and very busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I had that sequel on pre-order with Amazon when Meisha Merlin went under and the whole book publication collapsed. I didn't know that Steve being sick was also involved in that mix.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #212
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That whole publication deal fell through close enough to the publication date that I had thought that the book must have been at least partially written.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #213
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
From Steve's LJ, he said he was supposed to be half way through the book by October 2006 and there are a couple notes about him working on it, but nothing really about progress. However, a couple years later, Sharon posted this http://rolanni.livejournal.com/482922.html . Very unoptimistic from that post. Some notes from Steve after the project fell through but before Sharon's post sounded like maybe there was a possibility that they might go back. I just hope Steve is right and the possibility of a book isn't really dead.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #214
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, we know that they have five further Liaden books under contract, plus the two more Carousel books. By my calculation that takes us out to at least 2020. And I think Sharon was pretty clear that they don't have any interest in writing any more Gem books. And why.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #215
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
From Steve's LJ. he said he was supposed to be half way through the book by October 2006 and there are a couple notes about him working on it, but nothing really about progress. However, a couple years later, Sharon posted this http://rolanni.livejournal.com/482922.html . Very unoptimistic from that post. Some notes from Steve after the project fell through but before Sharon's post sounded like maybe there was a possibility that they might go back. I just hope Steve i s right and the possibility of a book isn't really dead.
My first thought after reading that entry was, "Hey Sharon, pull up those big girl panties and disassociate the fictional story from the real life one!"

For authors who have been poor-mouthing their existence the entire time I've been reading their works, I see no basis for such a missish attitude, especially if there is a market out there for the continuation of the story. They managed to get Fledgling and Saltation into publication because their fans paid for each chapter to be written. We are the ones who, because we loved the universe they created, kept talking up the books wherever we could - not to mention buying multiple copies of the books in the various formats.

I realize they don't "owe' us any continuation of that story arc, but color me pissed anyway
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #216
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I see that the Trade Secrets e-ARC has already hit the Dark Net. That was fast.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #217
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bound to be. Annoying, but there is at least some opinion that darknet versions of books don't actually hurt sales. (The argument being that people who steal are rarely the people who would pay, and that exposure ultimately leads to more sales, if not of the stolen book, then a later book from the same author. ) Doesn't matter, I still hate it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #218
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Yes, it's a sticky issue. Though I would feel little compunction about getting the e-ARC via that method if I wanted it since I've got the limited edition signed hardcover on order, and having an e-version isn't going to stop me from buying the hardcover (and the audiobook, in addition ). The authors are going to be getting at least two sales from me for that one book, and both of them for higher-priced items as opposed to a paperback or an ebook. But I am going to be strong and wait until November to read the story in tree form.

It's interesting - I just checked my pending hardcover order. When I placed the pre-order in May, the pre-order price was $16.02. Looking at the book page now (Amazon) the pre-order price is $19.79. It's still cheaper than the retail price ($27.00), but I didn't realize that there was a sliding scale for pre-order prices. Or maybe it has something to do with that Baen/Amazon agreement.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #219
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Moonhawk, Lute, and Maine

Two new short books up on Kindle and B&N from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. The Liaden one is Moon's Honor, and details the first meeting of Moonhawk and Lute.

The Maine book is Surfside, and includes two Maine stories by Sharon Lee (without Steve officially involved.)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #220
CRussel
(he/him/his)

And another chapbook up on Amazon (no B&N yet, though shortly) -- Technical Details.

This book contains two stories -- Landed Alien, a story of Kara ven'Arith on a station maintenance crew, and Eleutherios, where we have a down and out abbey being helped by a rather unlikely saviour.

Both stories have appeared on the Baen Books website as free stories, but this edition includes an all new Author's Forward.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #221
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

What a nice treat to have while on the beach!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #222
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
FYI for those that don't have the publishing schedule memorized:

Dragonship has hit the shelves as a Mass Market Paperback today.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #223
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
FYI for those that don't have the publishing schedule memorized:

Dragonship has hit the shelves as a Mass Market Paperback today.
The ebook price has been lowered to $6.99 at both Amazon, Baen and B&N.

bernie

p.s.

Baen ebooks are now at Barnes and Noble.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #224
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
For you diehard fans there is a new Splinter Universe post about the discovery of an 80s era 9-pin dot matrix faded to almost unreadable extremely early outline/notes/brainstorm of what eventually became Scout's Progress.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #225
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Thanks for that. It was interesting to read that outline and see how much tension and drama would have been lost from the story if they had gone that route.