Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Book search

Kindle owner who just a few weeks ago got an HTC Desire on which I installed Kindle app.

I discovered that there were a lot of apps that used bar code scanning to aid shoppers. Wouldn't it be possible to develop an app that you scanned a books EAN code and then it would go online and check if the book was available in an E-book version?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The barcode scanner I have does book search, not specifically for ebooks though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might I inquire as to the app's name?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Might I inquire as to the app's name?
let me try to find it...just called "Barcode Scanner" in the marketplace version 3.5 it says
From ZXing - http://code.google.com/p/zxing/

http://code.google.com/p/zxing/downl...1.apk&can=2&q=

If you scan a book barcode it will search and link via browser..

Last edited by kennyc; 10-26-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I was afraid that it would be Barcode Scanner by zxing, it has a reputation for sending out all of your phones information to the developer. At the same time it has become something of a standard for bar code scanning.
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
kennyc

If you already knew, then why did you ask?

Any android app can potentially do that. It's why the security is set up as it is to tell you what services it uses.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I was afraid that it would be Barcode Scanner by zxing, it has a reputation for sending out all of your phones information to the developer.
That's strange to the point of being unbelievable. It's open source, and a project distributed this much is subject to scrutiny from a lot of eyeballs. I'd be surprised if it got away with doing something *that* underhanded. It could be that the people that package the binaries add rogue code, but ZXing seems legit: http://code.google.com/p/zxing/wiki/...AskedQuestions

I'm all for being paranoid with one's info, but can you point me to anything more substantial on this?
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I read it on a Swedish Android forum called www.swedroid.se but I agree, if that is true then that infor would appear on other sites as well. Unless I'm misinformed, or just don't understand it properly (the latter is a likely candidate), that app has some hooks that allow other apps to access it. There are some specific scanning applications, especially shopping apps, that requires the installation of Barcode Scanner by zxing. Perhaps it is some of those that contain rouge code? Does Android Market check apps before thay are released?

PS. I have checked your link and the AppAnalysis.org site. I can now see how the OP on Swedroid has misinterpreted the info given. As you can see from my avatar I'm a trigger happy bitch

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 11-03-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Unless I'm misinformed, or just don't understand it properly (the latter is a likely candidate), that app has some hooks that allow other apps to access it. There are some specific scanning applications, especially shopping apps, that requires the installation of Barcode Scanner by zxing. Perhaps it is some of those that contain rouge code?
From the same site: http://code.google.com/p/zxing/wiki/ScanningViaIntent

I had a look at the sources, and it seems that they have an interface that enables other apps to use it to get the information from a scanned barcode. What these other apps do with that information is out of ZXings' control, but ZXing doesn't offer up any of your personal info.

I'm not a Jaca coder, but I'm pretty sure that people who are have had a look as well.

BTW, I didn't mean to bash you in any way in my previous post, it's very healthy to be sceptical when it comes to privacy
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

No worries, I didn't feel bashed. Android being Open Source does require users to be more vigilant. There are no free lunches, so when apps are offered for free I am always careful. Sometimes it is coders who do it for the fun and appreciation, and when that is the case it is important to show them our appreciation.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
BASEBALL BILL
BASEBALL BILL
BASEBALL BILL began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Still confused? LOL
BASEBALL BILL is offline   Reply With Quote