Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Talking Just bought the Samsung Galaxy

Ohh my God! This tablet is a amazing. Got it from Tmobile with no contract.

I will write a full review shortly!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Congratulations !

Looking forward to hearing more about it and your reactions to using it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Ohh my God! This tablet is a amazing. Got it from Tmobile with no contract.

I will write a full review shortly!
Awesome! Can't wait for your take on it. You can be pretty harsh with the comments.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm a big fan of the Tab, mine's no contract with Verizon. I still prefer to read on eInk but the Tab is very seductive.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Wait until the Xoom arrives! (Feb?)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wife stole the device (momentarily) ... ... so here are my comments so far ..

Extremely responsive screen
Wow! I mean, wow! ... really responsive, the screen itself and how the operating system reacts itself. Zero or no lag. I would say as fast as an iPad and better than Nook Color.

Full Android Market
No hacks, no rooting, nothing! It works out of the box! Kindle and B&N apps installed already and work perfectly. Is not that cool? ... is like a Nook Color with steroids, hahaha...

Light!
13 ounces! Yes, only 13! Just a bit heavier than Nook 1st generation and 2 oz less than Nook Color. Weight is more a relative thing than a fact, but when comparing with other tablets this one is way much lighter. You can't go to B&N with an iPad under your arm, you can with this baby.

Super fast Internet
I do have high speed connection at home but the browser itself (I installed Dolphine from Android Market) is super fast. I barely tested the Tmobile 3G but fast enough to email and browse Internet with the HSPA when available; I do need more testing on that. I also read (have not checked yet) that is smart enough to switch between 3G and Wifi automatically.

And of course, accelerometer for landscape, pinch capabilities, 2 cameras (front and back)

For my wife's magazines, "on the go" Internet needs and sporadic Kindle/B&N usage (on same device) this tablet is awesome! Not a replacement for my Kindle 3 or Kindle DX though.

To be continued ....

Last edited by jocampo; 01-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Wait until the Xoom arrives! (Feb?)
Actually, take a look on this one: http://www.notionink.com/techspecs.php The Notion Ink Adam.

Thought on that one but it is really bigger and heavier; there are also some delivery issues because FCC permissions. I was also looking for something smaller. Still a great alternative and comes with Pixel Qi technology (you can now read outdoors and turn back-light off)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Looks like a very positive experience so far.

I'll be interested to see what kind of battery life you are getting under regular use.

One of the drawbacks of the Samsung Galaxy S Phone I'm testing is that under moderate heavy use, with 3G on I barely get through a day without needing to recharge, and if the GPS is used, the drain is even faster. And that is after taking care to kill old tasks and keeping the Live Wallpapers off.

As the Tab is at heart the same device but with a larger screen and more battery I'll like to hear how it holds up. One of the main things i like about the iPad has been that the battery does last most of the day without problem, and any potential replacement (which I am looking for) needs to do the same.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Looks like a very positive experience so far.

I'll be interested to see what kind of battery life you are getting under regular use.
I've read reports of a battery life of only around 5h. If that's true, it's really not enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've read reports of a battery life of only around 5h. If that's true, it's really not enough.
That is 100% true. I get around 9 hours with battery saver apps, but it still demands me to plug in after that. Tablets are not for reading, they are for productivity purposes. (Like I make about 30 mindmaps everyday while studying with it.) Readers are a different thing from tablet!

Last edited by Nexutix; 01-15-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: typo
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The conflicting reports were part of the reason I've held of purchasing an Android tablet till the next gen, which should hopefully become available within the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
That is 100% true. I get around 9 hours with battery saver apps, but it still demands me to plug in after that. Tablets are not for reading, they are for productivity purposes. (Like I make about 30 mindmaps everyday while studying with it.) Readers are a different thing from tablet!
Are you getting the 9 hours by switching off the radios or is that with Wifi only? I'm curious as I've seen dramatic difference in use time by switching radios on and off, especially 3G which can reduce time by nearly 30-40% over 2G (Edge, GPRS).

Having said that, 5 to 6 Hours of heavy use with 3G, etc may not be that bad when comparing it to other devices except the iPad. While eInk readers long battery lives are great, a tablet is more likely to act as a laptop replacement when out and about, and occasionally as a reader as opposed to being mainly for reading in my case.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have an HTC EVO 4G, and after the last firmware upgrade the battery life was abysmal. Two to four hours of moderate use. Whilst looking for a solution, I ran across an app called "Green Power" which works by switching off the radios while the screen is off, and then turning them on for short intervals to check for email/sync requirements/etc.

This thing is phenomenal! My EVO now lasts all day w/o going below 50%. I have no affiliation with the developers, other than being a satisfied customer. Check it out, there is a free version and a paid (~$1 USD). I happily paid for the paid version, and if there wasn't a paid version would gladly make a donation to the dev.

Last edited by wodin; 01-17-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Fixed the name of the app
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline

Yesterday it gave me about 5 hrs with initial factory charge and really heavy wifi/3g usage; had about 20% maybe before I plugged again? I also played Asphalt and Angry Birds for about 40 min

I am still still testing and learning the tablet's behavior so I don't want to give a serious review yet, but I am happy so far. This is not a dedicated e-reader but a tablet, almost a really cool and small netbook so that should keep clear expectations about things like battery's life and screen's brightness.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-15-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have an HTC EVO 4G, and after the last firmware upgrade the battery life was abysmal. Two to four hours of moderate use. Whilst looking for a solution, I ran across an app called "Cool Power" which works by switching off the radios while the screen is off, and then turning them on for short intervals to check for email/sync requirements/etc.

This thing is phenomenal! My EVO now lasts all day w/o going below 50%. I have no affiliation with the developers, other than being a satisfied customer. Check it out, there is a free version and a paid (~$1 USD). I happily paid for the paid version, and if there wasn't a paid version would gladly make a donation to the dev.
Thanks for the App Rec.

Will check it out. The only problem I may run into is that it may not show up in the Marketplace for me unless I take out my sim and pop in a UK sim (Ain't geo restrictions grand).

As an OT Thats one thing that Apple got right (or wrong depending on your opinion) that once the phone is linked to a specific account and through that to a country it does not care which SIM you have on it.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Samsung Galaxy Tablet: fantastic tablet, recommended!

Ok, so my impressions so far (after 24 hrs or so)...

1st, let me set up some expectations here in terms of why I bought this device and for what. This certainly help some folks before taking a decision and also hitting backs with comments ;-)

I did not buy this as a dedicated e-reader. Actually, even when I am extremely happy that B&N and Kindle android application run and install with zero issues, I was looking for an "on the go" tablet that I can use to read magazines and for business or even pleasure during my travels. In terms of hardware the iPad is a nice piece of technology but the weight, closed Apple environment and no Flash support were a major factor in ignoring it as an option. That's my humble opinion so no offense, iPad fans/ownner.

Screen, response and stability
The resolution on this device is really good. Images are crisp and well defined. I have no complains about it and really pleased on this particular aspect. Watching a movie or video is a nice experience. The response when using the "touch screen" is precise and fast, like the iPad I think. It did feel better than the Nook Color when I bought it back in December. Nothing has stopped or hang so far and I've download lot of Android apps but too soon before providing a solid argument on this. In my personal experience Froyo (Linux of course) is a very stable platform so I am not expecting major issues here (unless you install a crappy application that crashes the Os)

Android Market
Yes, full access! Galaxy Tablet is running Froyo and is not locked. I downloaded Kindle, B&N, AMEX, Bank of America, Chess, Texas Hold'em, Skype, you name it. They all work and add a great functionality to what came by default. This is the main reason why I wanted the Samsung and why cannot be compared to a dedicated eink reader. But for "on the go" Internet needs this tablet is awesome! I imagine this as a great tool for realtors (Google maps) or for Chemical Lab Sales representatives (because the fantastic calendar and organizer) just to mention a few posibilities that come to my mind.

The device's personality changes depending of what you get from Android Market making it perfect for your custom needs. This is why old Android tablets or locked systems are behind.

For those who are not familiar with Android it is just a different operating system than Windows or Apple Os which comes with the "Android Market". Android is just a Linux flavor.

Battery
Disappointed. Even with my clear expectations that this is not a Kindle 3, I was expecting better battery life but overall is not too bad and I do not consider that a deal breaker. It gave me about 5 hrs yesterday and after that, 7.5 today. Heavy wifi/3G usage yesterday and more mixed usage with some hours of Idle today. I just downloaded a few free Android Market I have on my HTC and I believe will improve battery in about an hour maybe? 60% of battery usage went into screen and 15% on games. 2% using Dolphine (tip, avoid Dolphine HD. Dolphine mini uses 40% less RAM and I am assuming less CPU and battery) So in real life, not fake or sales numbers by the company, we should expect about 8 hrs with this device (plus idle time , of course) So I would safely say that this tablet can survive a 8 hr working day without a single charge.

E-reader experience
Even though this is a tablet and not a dedicated ereader device I would like to say that reading books from B&N and Kindle is a nice experience. I do have landscape mode on both (missing in Nook Color so far) and nigh time option. Pages turn fast and their Kindle/B&N usage barely drained battery.

Feeling & weight
In my opinion, this is were this tablet is more strong. With 13 oz only feels like my old Nook. It is like having a small computer with me all the time, under my arm, with ereader and GPS capabilities. The size is good enough for Internet and emails and the keyboard is ok; you can use Swype with it too. I am seriously thinking in selling my really powerful Compaq laptop and upgrade my Ubuntu headless server instead. With Tmobile (not Verizon) the Bluetooth option is not locked so you can potentially use the Galaxy Tab with an external mouse and keyboard (need to test and confirm)

Overall, great, great tablet! Fantastic screen resolution, portable but not too small and full Froyo experience without any hack.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.