Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
FBReader 0.12.0 released

The next version of FBReader is now available. Improvements include:
  • New presentation of library
  • Better integration with network libraries (FeedBooks, LitRes, Shucang and SmashWords)
  • Image scaling has been implemented
  • Better encoding/language detection. Arabic and Indonesian patterns are back
  • Mobipocket, eReader and chm support have been improved

For full detail, go here. You can download the new version here.

About FBReader

FBReader is ebook reader software. It currently works on many platforms including PDAs, handhelds, smartphones, PepperPad 3, IRex iLiad, and PCs running Linux, Windows XP/Vista, or FreeBSD. It supports several ebook formats: epub, plucker, palmdoc, zTXT, HTML, CHM, fb2, TCR (psion text), OEB, OpenReader, RTF, non-DRM'ed Mobipocket, and plain text.

My take:

I just tried the new Windows version. It still doesn't have full tag support for Mobipocket ebooks, so I would still rate it as better than nothing. And it still takes too many steps to add a book to the library. Oh, well.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Any port yet for the N900? I'm expecting mine within a week.

Edit: Nevermind, found this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63246
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Is there a version for Windows Mobile smartphones?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Played with the windows version last night. Vast improvement on image handling in Epub. (It'll now show covers, unlike previous versions....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
It works for some Epub titles. Some don't work. I haven't determined why. The input going into Sigil looks virtually the same.... The ones that don't work, work fine in FBReader when converted to mobi from the same epub file that doesn't work (via Calibre)...

Still a few Ebpub bugs left. On the other hand, no Epub improvements were listed in the doc, so I'm grateful for what I got.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Is there a version for Windows Mobile smartphones?
No. Available versions from the FBReader site include:

# For Linux desktop computer.
# For Windows XP/Vista/7 computer.
# For Maemo (Nokia 770/N800/N810) Internet Tablet.
# For Sharp Zaurus with Qtopia-based ROM (e.g., original Sharp, Cacko) installed.
# For Sharp Zaurus with pdaXrom installed.
# For Sharp Zaurus with OpenZaurus installed.
# For Siemens Simpad with OpenSimpad 0.9.0.
# For Archos PMA430.
# For PepperPad.
# For Motorola A1200 smartphone.
# FBReaderJ for Google Android.

Third parties have built FBReader for other platforms:

* FBReader for Motorola E680i/A780 (ported by Ketut P. Kumajaya).
* FBReader for MacOS X (by Stanislav Gobunov).
* Fbreader for IRex iLiad (ported by Adam B.).
* FBReader FreeBSD ports (thanks to Andrew Pantyukhin)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No. Available versions from the FBReader site include:

# For Linux desktop computer.
# For Windows XP/Vista/7 computer.
# For Maemo (Nokia 770/N800/N810) Internet Tablet.
# For Sharp Zaurus with Qtopia-based ROM (e.g., original Sharp, Cacko) installed.
# For Sharp Zaurus with pdaXrom installed.
# For Sharp Zaurus with OpenZaurus installed.
# For Siemens Simpad with OpenSimpad 0.9.0.
# For Archos PMA430.
# For PepperPad.
# For Motorola A1200 smartphone.
# FBReaderJ for Google Android.

Third parties have built FBReader for other platforms:

* FBReader for Motorola E680i/A780 (ported by Ketut P. Kumajaya).
* FBReader for MacOS X (by Stanislav Gobunov).
* Fbreader for IRex iLiad (ported by Adam B.).
* FBReader FreeBSD ports (thanks to Andrew Pantyukhin)
______
Dennis
It's a pity

Porting it to windows mobile would make it available to many people with PDAs and smartphones.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
It's a pity

Porting it to windows mobile would make it available to many people with PDAs and smartphones.
It's open source. You're welcome to try a port.

Meanwhile, FBReader supports ePub, fb2, Plucker, Mobipocket, OEB, HTML, and CHM, among others, but with the exception of fb2, there are programs for Windows Mobile devices that read them. FBReader provides the convenience of supporting all in one program, but doesn't provide anything you can't get elsewhere.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 12-07-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:

Meanwhile, FBReader supports ePub, fb2, Plucker, Mobipocket, OEB, HTML, and CHM, among others, but with the exception of fb2, there are programs for Windows Mobile devices that read them. FBReader provides the convenience of supporting all in one program, but doesn't rpovide anything you can't get elsewhere.
______
Dennis
exactly!! I really like the way FBReader works overall. And someone will port it over eventually. I am amazed that the FReader folks get as many platforms supported as they do. In fact they have a Google group that is quite active, well it was when I followed it for a year or so...mostly about bug fixes and such. It was interesting insight.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #10
Over
Wizard

Quote:

Meanwhile, FBReader supports ePub, fb2, Plucker, Mobipocket, OEB, HTML, and CHM, among others, but with the exception of fb2, there are programs for Windows Mobile devices that read them. FBReader provides the convenience of supporting all in one program, but doesn't provide anything you can't get elsewhere.
______
Dennis
I would do it if I had any idea how. Unfortunately I'm no programmer.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Meanwhile, FBReader supports ePub, fb2, Plucker, Mobipocket, OEB, HTML, and CHM, among others, but with the exception of fb2, there are programs for Windows Mobile devices that read them.
AlReader and Haali Reader for Windows Mobile support fb2.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
AlReader and Haali Reader for Windows Mobile support fb2.
Ah, thank you. I don't have a Windows Mobile device and am not up to date on what's available for them.
_____
Dennis
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
exactly!! I really like the way FBReader works overall. And someone will port it over eventually. I am amazed that the FReader folks get as many platforms supported as they do. In fact they have a Google group that is quite active, well it was when I followed it for a year or so...mostly about bug fixes and such. It was interesting insight.
Yes, the convenience can be compelling. The big win for me was support for Plucker documents and Mobipocket files. It meant I could put it on my notebook running Linux and put a copy of my ebook library from my PDA on it. I have about 3,200 Plucker volumes, so this was a big win.

I'm fascinated by the fact that FBReader was originally created for handhelds, and support for Windows and Linux desktops is experimental.

The Java version for Android looks quite interesting, and might just become the basis for other versions, too.
______
Dennis
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
The Java version for Android looks quite interesting, and might just become the basis for other versions, too.
On that note, does anyone know if the Java version is still under active development? I notice that it doesn't appear to have been updated in quite a while.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
On that note, does anyone know if the Java version is still under active development? I notice that it doesn't appear to have been updated in quite a while.
If you look at the Release History it seems that either FBReader or FBReaderJ gets the majority of the attention at any point in time. For a while it was mostly FBReaderJ and currently it is FBReader. I would not be surprised if the pendulum swung back once 0.12.X is available on all supported Linux devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote