Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Diso
Diso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
How Will Kindle Work in Africa?

One quick question please. I have just read in the home page that amazon will be releasing its kindle 2.0 early next month. I have been wondering how the kindle will be useful to people in Africa since it is not sold outside the United States. Even if one purchases it here (yeah, I am presently here in the states) and takes it to his country, he cannot download anything from amazon.com because they use "whispernet" instead of Internet. Is there a way out?
Diso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kindle Store ebooks can be downloaded over the Internet to your PC and then transferred to the Kindle via USB.

In principle you need a US credit card with a valid US home address to buy a Kindle and Kindle ebooks. However, it is possible to buy Kindles as gifts, so there are work arounds for buying a Kindle and (once the Kindle is added to your account) you can buy Kindle ebooks with Amazon gift cards provided no non-US credit cards are on the account.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Smile =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In principle you need a US credit card with a valid US home address to buy a Kindle and Kindle ebooks. However, it is possible to buy Kindles as gifts, so there are work arounds for buying a Kindle and (once the Kindle is added to your account) you can buy Kindle ebooks with Amazon gift cards provided no non-US credit cards are on the account.
Since you stay at states now, you can make a American-bank-account and debit card. Store a little money at that account, and use that card for buying.

:-)

I'm live in Korea, and waiting for Kindle, and going to use gift card and non-credit card option. I think, for paying both way will be fine with you =D

And Your original question- wallcraft's answer is right
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diso View Post
I have just read in the home page that amazon will be releasing its kindle 2.0 early next month.
Just to keep this a little real. Amazon has scheduled a press event on Feb 9th. There is speculation as to what they will announce. But it isn't a certainty that it will be Kindle 2.0. But, Feb 9th is not so far away so we will know soon enough.

That said, yes the Kindle can be used out side of the US. You will not be able to use the Wireless feature though. If you want to buy Kindle books you will need a second amazon account separate from the one your non-US credit card is registered. You can buy gift cards from your main account and apply them to your Kindle account to buy Kindle books if wanted.

That said, there are many other sources for books that you can use on the Kindle other than Amazon. See the Wiki.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
mgterry
mgterry began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle
Whispernet vs Internet

I have found web pages with free ebooks. Download them on to your computer then load them onto the Kindle. Some will ask for a small donation...but you don't have to. Also found one where you can download 4 books a week for free. Cannot remember the pages...I searched for "free kindle ebooks"
mgterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgterry View Post
I have found web pages with free ebooks. Download them on to your computer then load them onto the Kindle. Some will ask for a small donation...but you don't have to. Also found one where you can download 4 books a week for free. Cannot remember the pages...I searched for "free kindle ebooks"
And we have about 8,000 here, and don't ask for donations
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgterry View Post
mgterry, are you talking about public domain books, or sites that offer free books illegally?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Lots of good advice. I have relates overseas who are voracious readers and have been wanting a Kindle for some time. I'll have to forward this thread to them.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Diso

Thank you all for the good advice. I have asked the question because I am considering buying either a sony 505 or a knidle. Now that amazon is releasing its 2.0 version, I will wait until then to decide. But all the same, thank you so much for your help.

Its my pleasure.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
One quick question please. I have just read in the home page that amazon will be releasing its kindle 2.0 early next month. I have been wondering how the kindle will be useful to people in Africa since it is not sold outside the United States. Even if one purchases it here (yeah, I am presently here in the states) and takes it to his country, he cannot download anything from amazon.com because they use "whispernet" instead of Internet. Is there a way out?
Whispernet is not "instead" of internet .... it is Whispernet AND/OR internet. You always have the option to download books to your computer and then drag and drop them into the Kindle when it is connected to that computer.

They made it that way so that Kindle owners who are traveling still have a method via which they can purchase new books.

While you are here in the states, I would suggest you purchase your Kindle with whatever credit card you have now, which I would assume has a US billing address. Set up the Kindle account with that as well.

You might want to call Amazon and check, but .... let's say you move to Africa in two years, and you change the billing address on your credit card to your new African billing address. I don't believe that Amazon will then cut off your account. As mentioned .... check on that point, but it wouldn't make sense for them to sell something to a person who is actually living here in the States, and then try to take it away from them (figuratively if not literally) just because they moved.

I rather doubt that the Mark II will be coming out on 2/9. That would be incredibly bad PR on Amazon's part. I would look for them to start generating hype for it sometime around late summer or early fall, if they do anything at all this year.

The idea (for savvy companies) is to announce something not too long before Christmas (and certainly not this soon after), so that they can ride the wave through the holidays.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is only true if they have the new version done before christmas otherwise they should shut up so people will buy the old one for christmas gift... But I dont think it will be released on monday either but perhaps presented then and availability perhaps in late march or so.

They could very well had aimed for a chrismas relase but missed then they would be very stupid to wait until next christmas to release it...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Kindleist
Kindleist began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The only barrier I can see is cost, the Kindle is too expensive right now. The $100 laptop would be a better idea I think since you can do a lot more with it.
Kindleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #13
Diso

Thanks a lot for all the 'Kindly' advice.

As I mentioned before, I was considering either a sony or a kindle. Last Monday I visited the Sony store to have a look and couldn't leave without the PRS505 reader.

I found it just as I have anticipated. A very friendly companion. I have suffered serious eye strains whenever I read on the PC for extended periods. Now I can't differentiate between reading on paper and reading on my lovely Sony. More than twice, I caught myself trying to flip a page with my hand, only to discover that I was using an electronic device.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the 'Kindly' advice.

As I mentioned before, I was considering either a sony or a kindle. Last Monday I visited the Sony store to have a look and couldn't leave without the PRS505 reader.

I found it just as I have anticipated. A very friendly companion. I have suffered serious eye strains whenever I read on the PC for extended periods. Now I can't differentiate between reading on paper and reading on my lovely Sony. More than twice, I caught myself trying to flip a page with my hand, only to discover that I was using an electronic device.
Isn't it awesome? I hope you love it more and more everyday like I do
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Have you considered the Cybook? It would make your life simpler when buying books.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote